crashes in win 7

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
Rexmundi
Explorer
Explorer

crashes in win 7

Post by Rexmundi »

So I guess it is a known problem, but Vegastrike crashes _a lot_ in win 7. In other threads I read something that it might be because of AMD processors or the graphic cards.

I have no idea why vegastrike crashes on my system therefore I ask it here. I already changed a lot of the settings but it still crashes. (Privateer Gemini Gold works flawlessly though)

My system:

AMD Phenom (tm) 2 x4 965 (3.4GHZ)
memory: 8 gb.
Graphics card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 Black Edition 2GB

I also added the stderr and stdout, I have no idea what they inform you about though maybe someone alse knows?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Re: crashes in win 7

Post by klauss »

Can you run it with --debug=2 and attach the verbose logs? (Also try --debug=3, but I think it might crash even more)

PS: Are you sure you have an AMD GPU? The log looks a lot like an nVidia.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Rexmundi
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Rexmundi »

Yeah I'm pretty sure, I build this system myself ^^.

Oh I use vegastrike 0.5.1 r1.

how do you run the debug? I tried adding --debug2 behind the quickstart but that doesn't work.. It says MSVCR90.dll is missing.
log0

Post by log0 »

Are your crashes replicable, can you trigger them reliably?

I am not able able to crash VS my win box:
Athlon II x4 620
4GB RAM
Windows 7 64bit
ATI HD 4850 512MB Catalyst 12.4

Anyway, someone has to get a backtrace of the crash to be able to get an idea why it crashes and how fix it.

Are you interested in trying it?

Get/install standalone debugger from here http://www.windbg.org/X86%20Debuggers%2 ... _en-us.msi
Start VegaStrike in windowed mode
Start WindDbg (x86)
File -> Attach to a process... -> vegastrike.exe (it will break/pause vegastrike)
Debug -> Go (to continue)
Wait till it crashes
Post content of debugger window

I think the default exe is built with debug symbols, @phoenixstorm will know for sure.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Rexmundi wrote:Yeah I'm pretty sure, I build this system myself ^^.

Oh I use vegastrike 0.5.1 r1.

how do you run the debug? I tried adding --debug2 behind the quickstart but that doesn't work.. It says MSVCR90.dll is missing.
Interesting... I don't remember ATI drivers giving off those warnings. They must be moving forward :)

Try --debug=2
Wing Commander Universe
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

The VS binary always has some issue with x64 windows.. though I don't recall hearing about any crashes under 64bit XP.. but how many people here use it anyway.

Finding these x64 errors seem to be hit or miss for the most part. Also, Gemini Gold runs off the 0.5 engine so it doesn't require as much power to churn things out.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
Rexmundi
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Rexmundi »

I installed that programm and I now can play withouth crashes.

two more things though, is there a way to alter the mouse sensitivity in this game because right now even trying to aim at a ship is next to impossible because of the mouse its sensitivity.

and another thing, is there a way to turn of them pirates? I'm getting a bit tired of restarting endlessly just to get a few trade runs through.. *edit: hmm well I just blast them with heat seeking missiles.. takes care of them in one shot..
log0

Post by log0 »

Rexmundi wrote:I installed that programm and I now can play withouth crashes.
What program, the debugger?
Rexmundi
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Rexmundi »

yeah, somehow it stabilizes the game.. cause whenever I launch it withouth the debugger it does crash..
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Interesting... that's usually some kind of threading issue.

The only threads out there are the music loading threads. Maybe windows' OpenAL isn't thread-safe? Or some threading bug in our end?
Wing Commander Universe
log0

Post by log0 »

At least it explains why it is so hard/impossible to catch the crash with the debugger running (can't remember whether I've tested it without debugger).

I could upload a version compiled against OpenAL Soft for testing.
log0

Post by log0 »

With openal-soft I am getting no sound in vegastrike, there must be something fishy going on.
log0

Post by log0 »

@Rexmundi could you try this build(without debugger):
http://sourceforge.net/projects/vegaogr ... p/download

Backup vegastrike.exe, OpenAL32.dll, python27.dll, SDL.dll.
Extract vegastrike_alsoft.zip content into vegastrike directory.
If vegastrike doesn't start at all you might have to install http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... px?id=5555
_argv[-1]
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by _argv[-1] »

I've been having a similar crashing problem, so I followed the instructions and got you some crash dumps. Hope they help!

My system is:
  • Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit
  • CPU: Intel Core i7
  • GPU: AMD Radeon HD 5870
I've attached a zip file containing the stdout and stderr files, the textual output from WinDbg (crashdump.txt), and a binary crash dump from WinDbg (crashdump.dmp).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
_argv[-1]
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by _argv[-1] »

Upgrading the AMD Catalyst driver to the current version (12.10) seems to have solved the problem for me. The version I had installed previously was 12.03.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

The graphic's driver is usually the first thing I check amazing the number of times updating it magically cures things,BTW welcome aboard.

Enjoy the Choice :(
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2