Problem docking with ships

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
betelgeuse
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Problem docking with ships

Post by betelgeuse »

I haven't played the new beta version yet, so this problem may have been fixed. Anyway, after playing for many hours, I get to a point where cargo delivery missions net you about $100,000, but ships don't always slow down to be docked with. Even after hitting the request to dock key and several derivations several times.

When targeting the ship and hitting the warp drive, the target ship will zing across to the other side of the system, repeatedly!

Any ideas?

------
Mac 10.4.11, 1.25 gHz PPC G4
klauss
Elite
Elite

Re: Problem docking with ships

Post by klauss »

The beta has solved one bug where fighters would be mistaken with bases at times, which could be the source of that bug you're experiencing.

Certainly, every time cargo missions sent me to a ship instead of a base, the ship behaved well (in that it would stop for a while when I asked to dock).
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

I must concur (with both sides actually) When asking a ship to dock it stops, and has done so for some time. What I have noticed it doing is continuing to rotate, almost a mindless tumble, making the actual docking procedure rather tricky. However, sometimes you must request a docking while several light-seconds away, or it will jet off before you get there! Logically, if a ship is the target of a cargo mission, it should either stay put or go to a predefined meeting point (which you will be told where it is) and wait, at least for a time (I.E. until the mission time expires if a timed mission).
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Funny that. MatchAngularVelocity was deeming 5deg/s too little rotation to care. Let's try with 0.5deg/s.
Wing Commander Universe
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

Hmmm, "MatchAngularVelocity" I may have been making more work for myself all along. I tried the match target velocity key once or twice, saw no affect, and promptly ignored it from then on. I mostly find it on Ralan ships, anyway. Still, 5deg/second is a complete revolution in a little over two minutes. If rotating on more than one axis, that can be quite a tumble to match.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Quite faster. Just over 1RPM actually. If you can grab'n'build SVN, give it a try with the latest patch.
Wing Commander Universe
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

Grabbing SVN is only a problem because I'm at work (slower day). Yet to get visual studio installed, so building is an issue.