Transferring saved game to newer version?

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
WookieTHX
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Transferring saved game to newer version?

Post by WookieTHX »

Hi, can any one help me out here. I have just installed the 0.5.1 beta1 release (which looks great by the way) but if it's possible I would really like to tranfer my saved games from my installed 0.5.0 release. I am using Windows Vista and still have both versions installed. I intended to simply copy and paste the saved data from one version to the other but I am at a loss. My problem is that I have located the game saves for the latest version but I can not find the location for them in the older version and yet i can still run the game and load up from a sellected save point.

I read a previouse thread on a similar topic (where some one explained the location of this folder) but my save file was not there? I have looked and looked for the dam thing but to no avail. Can some one help me please? :|
philo
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Transferring saved game to newer version?

Post by philo »

Your savegames should reside in
\vegastrike-0.5.0\.vegastrike-0.5.0\save
\vegastrike-0.5.0\.vegastrike-0.5.0\serialized_xml

The main folder will be your \program files\ or \games\ folder, most likely c:\program files\
If you still can't find it, just run a file/folder search for the name ".vegastrike" (without quotes but with the dot).

But even *if* you find it, I'm sorry to say that your endeavour is doomed to fail. The save file format must have undergone some changes, and here is what's going to happen if you copy your saves and serialized_xml over to the new version:
- you will be able to load a saved game
- your faction standings will be all messed up (mostly -100)
- your ships will have lost their weapons and upgrades

I tried a couple of tricks and tweaks to make this work, but the result most often was a very unstable game that crashed on loading.

Speaking of stability: If you wish to run a newer version of the game, I'd urge you to consider running the SVN version instead of the beta. A lot of issues that arose with the beta have already been dealt with and corrected, plus there is permanent fixing and improving going on. The beta, on the other hand, is a dead end: if after days or weeks of playing you encounter a game breaking bug, you are pretty much stuck with it. On top of that, the beta will show you a version of the game with modifications that were partly already revoked.

A good policy for dealing with SVN is to not get every new update, but to wait until at least two new updates were released. Then make a backup copy of your saved games before updating.
Here's how to run SVN on Windows: http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/ ... rtoise_SVN