Too many significant targets

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
dimi
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Too many significant targets

Post by dimi »

Hi all,

I'm new here. Recently downloaded 0.5.1. beta, win7 64-bit.

Has anyone encountered a situation where there are lots and lots of ships, e.g. rlaan ships / aera ships in a system.

The problem is that I'm trying to locate a jump point to exit the system and have to cycle 300++ targets to get the jump point on my target, i.e. pressing the 'n' key constantly.

Given that there is already a 'u' key for ships and 'h' and 'r' keys for hostile and attackers, I'm not sure why neutral ships like Taizong are included in the 'n' key cycle.

This usually happens after I continue a session, e.g. I've docked at a space center. The next day I load the game and find that there hundreds of ships and cycling through them to find a simple jump point or planet is a real pain (in the wrist). It also makes trading in that system useless. I tried using the nav computer, and thats also jammed up with a list of ships, e.g. Taizong 29, Taizong 30, Taizong 31 and so on.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: Too many significant targets

Post by loki1950 »

Firstly welcome aboard.It looks like VS is taking advantage of your systems specs :wink: to model a more complex universe but if all you want to do is find the jump point out of the system alt+k will select the nearest one and crtl+k will get thew nearest planet while K will select the nearest base and I think that you are right that neutral ships should not be in that list.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

Well, there's one situation where such ships actually cover the role of nav points sometimes: patrol missions.

Now, either the original mission idea was to add some random variety to the possible locations, considering the relatively low number of nodes/planets/bases per system, hence requiring ships to be classifiable as nav points...
... or they are for some other reason and then patrol missions end up using them because they can :shock:
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

This has been a problem in every version I know of, i.e. 0.4.0a and beyond. When it happens I use SHIFT-N to cycle through the list backwards, because the superfluous ships are always at or near the front of the list.
Turbo

There are two speeds in combat: stopped, and as fast as you can go. Unless you run into something, going fast keeps you alive more often than stopping.
dimi
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by dimi »

Loki, thanks for the tip. I didn't know that. It would seem that VS is quite efficient. I'm only using a dell vostro laptop, and the 300+ ships i see is just one series, i.e. Taizong. There are several other 'flight groups (I'd call them flight swarms)' within the same system.

I guess what I'm after is just a better nav computer. It need not be fancy graphics, it may just be a functional text list that lets me filter out the destinations. e.g. the list would be a several columns of text data, listing the names, type, distance, hostility, coordinates...

This chunk o text would be in the existing nav computer's left panel. The right panel is a sort of checkbox/buttons list where i can tick a checkbox, e.g. planet, then all the planets in the system will appear in the list. If I tick another checkbox, e.g. hostile, then all the hostiles would appear on the list. This would allow me to quickly create a filtered list.

This is, of course just an idea.