Trying to setup joystick

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
DeadSmythe
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Trying to setup joystick

Post by DeadSmythe »

Hello,

I just got a joystick and am wanting to setup Vega Strike to use it. I took a look at the wiki, but it's way over my head. I have a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. If anyone can help me out with bindings, or with understanding on how to do it myself, I would be very appreciative.
AVBJim
Merchant
Merchant

Re: Trying to setup joystick

Post by AVBJim »

I am using the same joystick. First, in vssetup, set the joystick option to 3 Axis Joystick and Throttle. This will give you basic functionality. The throttle works and the twist handle rolls your ship. Buttons 11 and 12 have no assigned function.

To customize you buttons, open the vegastrike.config in the folder where your saved games go. Mine, on Ubuntu puts it in the ./vegastrike folder. It is a hidden folder, so you need to enable viewing hidden files and folders or use the -a option with the ls command in a terminal/terminal window to find it. With windows, the commands differ, refer to your documentation for proper commands. Once you have it open in a text editor, look for the <!-- #joy_throttle joy_t_a_rev joy_throttle_and_axis joy_axis joy_normal --> line. The lines immediately following it will be your binds for your buttons. You can copy and paste functions from the keybind section to customize the buttons.

Here is my setup,

Code: Select all

<bind joystick="0" player="0" button="0" modifier="none" command="FireKey" />
    <bind joystick="0" button="1" modifier="none" command="ABKey" />
    <bind joystick="0" button="2" modifier="none" command="MissileKey" />

<bind joystick="0" button="3" modifier="none" command="WeapSelKey" />
    <bind joystick="0" button="4" modifier="none" command="PickTargetKey" />
    <bind joystick="0" button="5" modifier="none" command="SubUnitTargetKey"/>
    <bind joystick="0" button="6" modifier="none" command="NearestHostileTargetKey"/>
    <bind joystick="0" button="7" modifier="none" command="LockTargetKey" />
    <bind joystick="0" button="8" modifier="none" command="ThrustLeft"/>
    <bind joystick="0" button="9" modifier="none" command="ThrustRight"/>
    <bind joystick="0" button="10" modifier="none" command="DecelKey" />
    <bind joystick="0" button="11" modifier="none" command="SheltonKey" />

<axis name="x" joystick="0" axis="0" inverse="false" />
    <axis name="y" joystick="0" axis="1" inverse="false" />
I added buttons 10 and 11 to enable all buttons. I have not worked with the hat switches as I do not normally use them. Remember, in the file, button 0 is referring to the button labeled one on the joystick, so subtract 1 from the button label to get the right button in the file.

Hope this helped. Good Luck.
DeadSmythe
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by DeadSmythe »

Well, the joystick doesn't work at all just plugged in. And windows 7 isn't allowing me to change the config file at all. Every time I try to save it wants me to save as a text file to my documents. I tried doing that and just pulling it to the folder to overwrite it, but it considered it a separate file. Removing the original config caused the game to not start. So I tried setting notepad to always run in administrator mode, made the changes you had and went to save, and got access denied. So I don't think the game wants me to play it.

Edit: should I just do a full uninstall/reinstall? Seems like maybe it didn't install correctly if the joystick doesn't work at all.
AVBJim
Merchant
Merchant

Post by AVBJim »

Ouch. Sounds like it is a security setup issue with Win 7. Re-installing the game may help. But, if Windows is blocking you from writing to files, it may be blocking read/write access to files that the game needs. I wish I could be more help, but I have not used a version of windows since XP and know nothing about setting up in Win 7. Hopefully, someone with win 7 knowledge will help you.

Good Luck
strook
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by strook »

Maybe you compiled without joystick Support.
plz visit my vegastrike project branch here

plz support VegaOgre by donating to it!

My systems: Mac mini 1, 4gig RAM;
i5 Quad Core 2400, 300mbit WLAN, 1,3Tbyte HD, 60 GB SSD,
nvidia geforce 8400gs 512MB, 6gig RAM with Ubuntu 11.4,
win7 and hackintosh installed