Debian packages of vs 0.5.1beta

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
almatic
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Debian packages of vs 0.5.1beta

Post by almatic »

Hi,

The package vegastrike_0.5.1.beta1-2_i386.deb tries to create a file /usr/bin/replace, which conflicts with the same name mysql string replacement tool.
Generally I think that game files should go to /usr/games/ and the game data to /usr/share/games/<game name> because that's the path for games provided in debian (it is also included in $PATH).

Keep up the good work :)
klauss
Elite
Elite

Re: Debian packages of vs 0.5.1beta

Post by klauss »

Hm... will try to fix for the next release.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

I think "replace" is a simplified version of "sed" for binary files, used just for the mac build process to fix hardcoded paths.

I would suggest limiting the binaries shipped to ones immediately useful to modders or players, or things that anyone outside the developer team would need.

Looking through the deb package, here are the four programs I would suggest keeping:
mesher vegaserver vegastrike vssetup

Some of the other utilities like objconv/*2xml might be useful to modders, but please put them in usr/bin, not usr/objconv! (and they lost +x permission) This must be possible because the compiled binaries weren't in bin/ either...

If you want to include all the binaries, maybe we could put them in /usr/share, out of the system path?

I googled and found a way to edit debian packages easily, so I was able to get it to install by removing replace:

Code: Select all

dpkg-deb –extract mypackage.deb foobar
dpkg-deb -e mypackage.deb foobar/DEBIAN
modify files in foobar directory
dpkg-deb -b foobar
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Ok, so instead of "make all" we could "make vssetup vegastrike vegaserver mesher".

I'll try that.
Wing Commander Universe
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

The game should be vegastrike and vegaserver and vssetup. Anything else should be a separate package for modding tools. And we should have non-common names for things we're building.... the replace thing is definitely in need of renaming. even if it's just to add vs to prefix it, that would solve any issues distros have.
Ed Sweetman endorses this message.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

ATM, I'm just not building anything other than mesher, vssetup, vegastrike and vegaserver, the most commonly used tools.

Plus, I'm moving everything to /usr/games, which seems to be the standard on many distros, not just debian.

Plus, I'm testing OpenSUSE 11.4, and there are some missing dependencies (some packages that disappeared from the official repos), so I'll just add them to the VS repos.
Wing Commander Universe