My new mule

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
ponssebas
Trader
Trader

My new mule

Post by ponssebas »

So, I went ahead and I bought myself a new Mule. I'll fill it up to the brim and I'll go peddle my wares around the Universe, and when I've had enough money, I'll simply sell it and get myself another ship....I told myself :? ....
Fact is, that in spite of having a jump drive, it just refuses to jump! My question is, Does it need a special kind of drive?, or is just a bug? :x .
And if somebody can tell me how to use the Nav Computer for searching a destination, I'll be a happy man :)
And a good year to everybody
sebaspons
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Re: My new mule

Post by CLoneWolf »

Stock Mules Can't Jump.
Yes, yes, I have a thing for title parody... :roll:

If you check your Mule stats in the Ship Stats page, you'll notice that there's an "Energy cost for jumpnode travel" that might exceed the "Warp capacitor bank storage". For my stock Mule, respectively 333,333MJ and 270,833MJ.

This means that you have to increase your storage, but how? You have capacitors and SPEC capacitors, but warp? As not very intuitive as it is, your warp storage is handled by the SPEC capacitors, and your Mule has probably a level 1, which is not enough.

So I added (unlike standard ones, you can have more than 1 SPEC capacitors) a level 5 (or 6? meh, I've already forgotten) and reached the required level; driving the Mule to a jump point made the J light flash, and the jump went fine.

As for the Nav Comp, I don't want to think it's buggy, so I'll believe it's ancient technology we don't have a full grasp on yet :mrgreen:

If you search for a nearby sector as a target, it works fine (while being in sector Ingatwa I made a search for nearby sector Bribtzkaber and it showed the path to it); the built-in target search path works fine as well, with the added benefit of updating everytime you target a different system, because the path destination is set to "Target system".

Sometimes I have successfully located systems with specific resources, but now I'm failing again; I know there's an Outpost in a nearby system, but if I search with criteria = CONTAINS(Outpost) (or outpost as well), although the computer won't complain with a "path not found" message, it won't show any path related to that search.

OWNEDBY(andolian) works fine, showing a path of 2 jumps to Raxis. Shaper are quite a few jumps further, but the path is still correctly shown.

Mind the all lowercase faction name: Andolian and Shaper won't work; Klk'k must be written klkk, LIHW, lihw L.I.H.W. and l.i.h.w. give "path not found" but they might just be too far from me to compute a path; other factions can't be found either.

Now that I think of it, maybe it's just because I've never visited systems owned by those factions so far...

On a side note, the Up and Down in the main screen of the Nav Comp seem to do nothing, I suppose they were meant to change the path order in the list, but after all what would the point be? paths can be shown together and they're not layered somehow. The show toggle on the paths works perfectly so we can choose which routes to see. Maybe the Up and Down buttons are a forethought that never got implemented and can just be removed?
ponssebas
Trader
Trader

Post by ponssebas »

Neither can white guys... :mrgreen:

Got you on the SPEC thing, Thank you. As for the Nav-Com, for me it doesn't work at all, or I haven't yet understood how it works. I simply can't write anything in the field provided. I don't even get a cursor :oops:
Is there a way other than shift m? Do I have to do anything else?
Mysteries, mysteries.... :D
Sebaspons
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

For me it goes like this:
Shift-M to bring it on;
click on Nav/Info (right topmost button) to switch to Nav section, the other buttons change functions.
click on Nav Comp button (and it seems you got this far)

Now you're on the List Mode;
click Add
optionally, Rename your "New Path"
click on it to select it and click Edit (and it seems you got this far too)

Now you're in Edit Mode;
click on Criteria (I guess the search by System is less interesting for you)
click on Owned By (I'd love to see Contains working again but failed so far today while replying to you)
click on the writable field and yes, there's no cursor but the field is active :)
type a faction name in lowercase, say, rlaan, klkk, shaper, possibly a faction owning at least a system you've already visited
click And, your criteria appears in the lower lists as OWNEDBY(rlaan)
click on Destination above, it will also appear in the new path summary in the upper right panel

click on Chain, select All Points, click on the lower Chain button
click Finished, back to list mode
in the list you might hide selectively the different paths (the Show, Show all and Show non buttons all work)
click on Done when.... done :mrgreen:

click again on Nav/Info if necessary
click Up until the map switches to global scale, use the mouse-wheel to zoom in and out
you should see the systems you know and your path traced in red
you can click on Path On/Off/Only if the map is too cluttered to cycle between the 3 views.

That's all, folks! ;)

Happy searching, and happy new year to everyone :)
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

hehe the second part of this should be titled nav map nightmares. I think one of these revisions someone needs to devote some time to the nav map interface.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo