vegastrike.config help needed (MAC)

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
Baces
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console

vegastrike.config help needed (MAC)

Post by Baces »

Hey guys,
a few days ago I downloaded Vegastrike. I tried to change some things about the joystick in "vegastrike.config" but whatever i do nothing changes anything in the game! I tried swaping axis, keys etc nothing! I tried the "vegastrike.config" in the vega strike 0.5.0 package content and in the setup package content. I deleted the old one, inserted the modified one but when I open the Setup nothing is changed and I can't select any of the modified options. When I open the "vssetup_aqua" it shows my modified window :( but when I restart the setup it's all gone.

Where is my mistake? Do I need to modify another file?

Tx for the help
klauss
Elite
Elite

Re: vegastrike.config help needed (MAC)

Post by klauss »

Did you comment out parts of the XML?

Because vssetup gets badly confused if you comment out stuff in the "wrong" places.

The best bet would be to restore the original vegastrike.config and re-run vssetup. (not sure you did it in that order)

Also, vssetup doesn't regenerate your config if you don't change settings, so you have to change some setting, save, and then set it back, to make sure your local config file is regenerated.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Baces

Post by Baces »

I started following the tuturial on wikipedia "How to bind a joystick" (Sidewinder Prec 2 in my case). Just copy and paste and save... did not work :-( Then I started some experiments like changing some description or keys... But nothing changed except the joystick didn't work at all. At least one thing...

I open the vegastrike.config with the textedit - program. Is that the right way?
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Baces wrote:I open the vegastrike.config with the textedit - program. Is that the right way?
Yep, but, remember what I wrote earlier, VS stores a local copy of your config file.

Not sure where it does so in windows, I think it's data/.vegastrike or something like that. If you modify the config file in data/vegastrike.config you have to re-run vssetup in order to have it copied into your local config file, or it won't have any effect.

You can also modify the one in data/.vegastrike/vegastrike.config directly, but it will be overwritten next time you use vssetup.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Baces

Post by Baces »

Ok, if I don't start vssetup it will not rewrite the vegastrike.config, right? If I open vegastrike.config directly and go e.g. to

<axis joystick="0" name="x" axis="0" modifier="none" inverse="false" />
<axis joystick="0" name="y" axis="1" modifier="none" inverse="false" />
<axis joystick="0" name="z" axis="2" modifier="none" inverse="true" />
<axis joystick="0" name="throttle" axis="3" modifier="none" inverse="false" />

and change some trues to false or vv and just save the thing and start the game without vssetup I would think some axis of the stick should be inverted but they are not...