Drayman fails to tractor other ships

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
Allan Porter
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Drayman fails to tractor other ships

Post by Allan Porter »

Got my Drayman going pretty good - it can survive a cargo run OK. My problem is; regardless what I try I can't seem
to tractor ANY other ships into my hold.. Seem there is some sort of key or switch which enables this tractoring
ability?? I've studied the "bindings" in the configuration file and can't find any clues there. Is there some where else
to look?
Gungnir
Mercenary
Mercenary

Re: Drayman fails to tractor other ships

Post by Gungnir »

Allan Porter wrote:Got my Drayman going pretty good - it can survive a cargo run OK. My problem is; regardless what I try I can't seem
to tractor ANY other ships into my hold.. Seem there is some sort of key or switch which enables this tractoring
ability?? I've studied the "bindings" in the configuration file and can't find any clues there. Is there some where else
to look?
I think the other ship must be positioned a certain way, but I'm not sure; I've never tried it myself.
~Gungnir
segfault wrote:if I was actually in space I'd totally be throwing on autopilot and relaxing in the back during the trip, sipping space wine and listening (rlaan?) jazz.
Rig: i5 2500k @ 5ghz, 2x OCZ Agility 3 120gb SSD boot drives, AMD Radeon HD 7950 @ 1100/1575 (Catalyst 12.1 Linux and 12.3 Windows), dual-boot Fedora 16 KDE and Windows 7 Pro
jrosstheman
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Drayman fails to tractor other ships

Post by jrosstheman »

I had the same problem at first. The solution is to first, be near enough for the tractor to work. This means less than 4000 km and closer is better. I've tractored in a couple small ships at near 4000 km, but had a hard time doing it. When 1500 km or less you have much greater success. Aim your ship directly at the other ship. Lock onto the other ship by hitting "l". Having autotracking is best. You must keep maneuvering your ship to keep the aiming reticle on the other ship. It takes a while for the tractor beam to lock onto the other ship. You will see the beam pattern seeming to move out while this is happening. When the tractor locks the pattern will reverse and start drawing the other ship toward you. Keep your crosshairs centered on the other ship and if you are lucky the ship will disappear into your hold. If you get the ship close and it zooms off behind you at a high speed you've not kept your aim on it close enough. The last few hundred meters is very important.
(edit) To fire only the tractor beams, cycle through your weapons using the "g" key until your tractor(s) are the only guns listed in the hud. Hold down your space bar or left mouse button to fire the tractor just like any other weapon, but you must keep it held down until your capture is completed.
I've had best luck with four heavy tractors on autotracking mounts. You can get the autotracking upgrade from star fortresses and other high tech installations. Heavy tractor beams are listed as confed milspec so many fighter bases, etc. have those.