Trouble with installation and config process.

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
cdaniel180er
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Trouble with installation and config process.

Post by cdaniel180er »

I played this game year ago and haven't picked it up since. the hard drive I used for the installation was lost in a move to another apartment as I swapped it out for one with a Linux OS a year +half before i moved. I having having trouble with the installation. I'm installing it on a 100GB pata ide hard disk with windows xp sp3 integrated build installed. i'm using a Logitech Attack 3 as a joystick. my motherboard has a 3.0GHz dual core Pentium D 925 Presler Socket 775 LGA processors with an intel i945GZ rev.A2 graphics chipset and a realtek hi-def audio sound chipset. i admit, i just bought this computer used and it only just finished scrounging the last of the drivers of the net as windows update was only so helpful and i only have 1GB of RAM. but, be that as it may, the installation process will only extract and install certain files to 99% completion and it constantly to reinstall the program. if i remember there's a certain open source engine that aids in the installation a open source programs. what is it? can someone remind me or give me a clue of what to do to get this game up and running.
-REBEL3-
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Re: Trouble with installation and config process.

Post by -REBEL3- »

cdaniel180er wrote:I played this game year ago and haven't picked it up since. the hard drive I used for the installation was lost in a move to another apartment as I swapped it out for one with a Linux OS a year +half before i moved. I having having trouble with the installation. I'm installing it on a 100GB pata ide hard disk with windows xp sp3 integrated build installed. i'm using a Logitech Attack 3 as a joystick. my motherboard has a 3.0GHz dual core Pentium D 925 Presler Socket 775 LGA processors with an intel i945GZ rev.A2 graphics chipset and a realtek hi-def audio sound chipset. i admit, i just bought this computer used and it only just finished scrounging the last of the drivers of the net as windows update was only so helpful and i only have 1GB of RAM. but, be that as it may, the installation process will only extract and install certain files to 99% completion and it constantly to reinstall the program. if i remember there's a certain open source engine that aids in the installation a open source programs. what is it? can someone remind me or give me a clue of what to do to get this game up and running.
I don't know a huge amount about the installer-I mostly work on the concept side of things. Still, I might be able to help a bit! :D

First, Linux is the best OS to run in regards to VS. I know sound is broken on Ubuntu-other then that, the game works fine on it (AFIK). There is no windows SVN installer, the SVN is only for Linux.

Next-If you last played a year ago, I would recommend SVNing up. For instructions, go to the wiki. The SVN only works on Linux, but the difference is great enough I installed a separate Linux OS on my Mac that I use mainly for playing VS.

If you want to stay with Windows, you can download the 0.50 version. It's worse in terms of graphics, but still a step up from 0.43 (likely what you were playing a year or so ago.)

One note-1gb ram might not be enough to play VS.

Let us know how it turns out! :D
klauss
Elite
Elite

Re: Trouble with installation and config process.

Post by klauss »

For the record, I played VS on a 1G rig quite without major issues.

Some stuttering due to some limited swapping, but nothing too serious.

It helps if you limit texture resolution a bit, but it's not necessary.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe