Unable to land on a planet

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
la_poisse
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Unable to land on a planet

Post by la_poisse »

Hi,

I'm a beginner. I read the tutorial, but i'm not able to land on a planet. I reach a distance of some 5000 km of the planet using the specs. With a velocity of 400 km/h, I m not sure to have the patience to wait until a hypothetic land-on :D . Do I forgot something? Can I accelerate my fall?

Thank you.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Re: Unable to land on a planet

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Are you pressing 'D' (for Dock)?

((You can set higher speeds by pressing Y, to release your speed setting from the default governor limit. The governor
limit is meant as a safe speed limit for when you are flying around a station or docking. After pressing Y you can
raise your speed setting to thousands; just don't go overboard, or you'll crash easily.))
Celeas
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by Celeas »

I'm having a similar problem. I've read all the flying instructions in the wiki and I can fly around just fine, but I just can't figure out how to land. I tried it a few times on the planet you start out on, just to make sure I knew how to get back down, and I couldn't get it to work. I figured maybe it was because I had a mission active (the one from the bar), so I made the two jumps to Bernard, flew to Jacobs and couldn't land there either. I've tried pressing 'D' from various distances right up to 1000 meters, which seems to be as close as I can get.

What I don't get is this:
To actually dock, select a green docking bay indicator and approach it.
I've got docking clearance, I see the indicator, but how do I select it? The only thing in the targeting section of the wiki that seemed applicable was 'B' to select a 'sub-unit', but all that did was deselect the planet. What am I missing here?
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

Celeas wrote:What I don't get is this:
To actually dock, select a green docking bay indicator and approach it.
I've got docking clearance, I see the indicator, but how do I select it? The only thing in the targeting section of the wiki that seemed applicable was 'B' to select a 'sub-unit', but all that did was deselect the planet. What am I missing here?
Oops, you're taking "select" a tad too literally :roll: It's not a computer operation, just a brain one :mrgreen:
Just pick the box you prefer, be it for ease of approach, size, whatever, and go there. On my 4:3 screen, docking becomes possible as soon as I can't see the vertical lines of the box anymore as they go out of my field of view (assuming a centered approach).

In case you still have problems, make sure to mention your operating system, and the game version (0.4.X, stable 0.5.0, SVN)

By the way: in older versions, also planets used to show the green box after requesting clearance; in SVN it's no more there, as there's a much more useful indication of the docking distance.

HTH
Celeas
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by Celeas »

CLoneWolf wrote:Oops, you're taking "select" a tad too literally :roll: It's not a computer operation, just a brain one :mrgreen:
That's what I thought, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a button. I've finally figured it out though...
I've tried pressing 'D' from various distances right up to 1000 meters, which seems to be as close as I can get.
First off, it was kilometers and apparently I didn't try at exactly 1000. As soon as I got to exactly 1000 km it let me in. Now hopefully I can get that close to Jacobs without getting blown up... :roll: