Fonts

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
szaemon
Explorer
Explorer

Fonts

Post by szaemon »

Could someone please tell me where the fonts are and how I can change them?
Thanks.
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Re: Fonts

Post by CLoneWolf »

I don't know how to substitute the fonts, but here you'll find how to change the settings for the current fonts.
I hope that will be enough. :mrgreen:
szaemon
Explorer
Explorer

Post by szaemon »

Thanks but unfortunately, I&m not programmer enough to understand what I'm looking at on that page.
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

No programming involved, just text editing; if the standard font is too small just try setting the point size to 14;
check the video setting name you chose in vssetup (eg. Software Retro)
open the vegastrike.config file, search the line

<!-- #Software Retro (or <!-- #thenameofwhatyouchose)

look for the line

<var name="font_point" value="10"/>

and replace that 10 with, say, 14; save, run, enjoy :mrgreen:

if you want the huge but nicer font instead, replace the line

<var name="high_quality_font" value="false"/>

with

<var name="high_quality_font" value="true"/>
szaemon
Explorer
Explorer

Post by szaemon »

that seems simple enough. Thanks.
How do I change the style the actual font itself though, not just the size? I'm looking in open office at the font names, yet I can 't draw parallels to anything I see in the Vegestrike config file.

My basic trouble is that the letters throughout the whole game (the cockpit display panel, the characters words and the item descriptions) are only half illuminated. Something is going wrong with way the game is presenting those font, so I would like to experiment with different fonts or even just have these ones displayed in bold.
Thanks for any further help you decide to offer!
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

"half illuminated" makes me think of antialiasing in action on small sizes, try to alter the relevant setting:

<var name="font_antialias" value="false"/>

and see if you get a better result with either true or false.

As for choosing a totally different font, I wouldn't know how :(
All I know is what I've discovered by myself or reading older topics, and the lack of a font name option in the config makes me suppose there's no way of choosing an arbitrary font...

Well, while I was writing, I searched the whole sources for the font handling and found that the function that draws a character, Font::drawChar, uses always GLUT_STROKE_ROMAN for the stroke font (used when <var name="high_quality_font" value="false"/>) and GLUT_BITMAP_HELVETICA_12 for the bitmap font (used when <var name="high_quality_font" value="true"/>)

In short, the fonts are hard coded and changing them requires changing in the sources and recompiling the executable.
Anyway, if you can't get out of font fading no matter the point size, try the other font; IIRC it was thick enough to survive any antialiasing.
szaemon
Explorer
Explorer

Post by szaemon »

Thanks...I'll try looking for the antialias thing and setting it to false.
Corny
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by Corny »

Hi,
at my system, the fonts are rather ugly (see attachment). Where can I change this?
I know you can change the font in the vegastrike.config, but where? I run the game on High Detail. But even if I change every entry (Software Retro, Voodo, TNT etc.) and increase the font size, activate high-quality fonts and anti-aliasing, it doesn't change a bit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Sorry, VS text rendering is simply that immature.
Really.

That's the "high quality" font :roll:

We need a freetype-based text renderer so that things look a lot better, but we're already swamped with to-do items, I don't believe that will get any love any soon.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
eracc
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by eracc »

Corny wrote:Hi,
at my system, the fonts are rather ugly (see attachment). ...
Looks okay to me. :P At least that is readable to my old eyes unlike some really small fonts used on some #$%@& web sites. ;)
http://www.eracc.com/ - Linux, Unix, eComStation (Get rid of proprietary Microsoft and Apple!)
Custom Built, Preloaded PCs, Workstations and Servers - Business, Home and Gamer systems
My custom built Linux Gamer/Personal/Business box: Mageia Linux on - ASUS M4A78, 4GB RAM (Linux "sees" 3.2 GB with a 32-bit kernel), AMD Phenom Quad-core @ 2.6GHz, Radeon X1650 Pro PCIe, "sda" 250GB WD2500AAKS-0, "sdb" 150GB WD1500ADFD-0 (Raptor), "sdc" 150GB WD1500ADFD-0 (Raptor), "sdd" 500GB ST3500418AS, "xfs" file system on all but the / partition which is using "ext4".
Corny
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by Corny »

Readable - yes, nice to look at - no. :D
Anyway, thanks for the replies :) At least I now know that it's the way it's supposed to look.