Now installing, but have some questions.

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
Inglonias
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Now installing, but have some questions.

Post by Inglonias »

Hi. Just found this, and it looks neat. I want to know: Is the game still under actuve development? What's going on with it?

Also: Anything else I should know about the game?

Thanks
eracc
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Re: Now installing, but have some questions.

Post by eracc »

To see if it is active look here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/vegastrike/

As for what else you need to know about the game. Each faction / race has relations with every other faction / race either positive or negative. If you attack indiscriminately then you will end up with most of the factions hating you and attacking on sight. When you are starting out this will be very UN-fun unless you just like being blown up over and over. Yes, if you attack Pirates many will start to like you. But there are some important factions that are affiliated with Pirates and *they* will start to hate you and attack on sight. Then you will attack them to defend yourself. Poof, all the factions that like them now hate you too. The only faction that almost every one else hates is Luddites. Even they have some sympathizers, but not as many as Pirates. So, attack only Luddites if you want to advance. You will need to "talk nice" to every ULN, ULN Citizen and Purist Citizen you see by pressing F1 over and over and over when you have one of their ships targeted. They are the ones that can get you in trouble AND they like either Pirates or Luddites or both.

Other than that ... buy low, sell high. :)
Last edited by eracc on Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.eracc.com/ - Linux, Unix, eComStation (Get rid of proprietary Microsoft and Apple!)
Custom Built, Preloaded PCs, Workstations and Servers - Business, Home and Gamer systems
My custom built Linux Gamer/Personal/Business box: Mageia Linux on - ASUS M4A78, 4GB RAM (Linux "sees" 3.2 GB with a 32-bit kernel), AMD Phenom Quad-core @ 2.6GHz, Radeon X1650 Pro PCIe, "sda" 250GB WD2500AAKS-0, "sdb" 150GB WD1500ADFD-0 (Raptor), "sdc" 150GB WD1500ADFD-0 (Raptor), "sdd" 500GB ST3500418AS, "xfs" file system on all but the / partition which is using "ext4".
Genghis Prawn
Hunter
Hunter

Re: Now installing, but have some questions.

Post by Genghis Prawn »

I highly recommend reading the playing manual before you start the game up. I didn't when I first installed the game and couldn't figure out how to do anything until I decided to break down and look for the documentation. The development version (svn) has a neat little tutorial mission when you first launch from the space port which walks you through the steps of basic piloting. It is highly useful but at this point since I have already learned the keyboard commands I now ignore it. The tutorial mission is not available in the stable version (0.5.0) yet.