Key bindings trouble on Mac

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
CdXiminez
Explorer
Explorer

Key bindings trouble on Mac

Post by CdXiminez »

I recently got back to Vega Strike with version 0.5.0 on my Macbook.
While working through the tutorial, I noticed that [alt-0], the RequestClearanceKey, didn't give me any response from the station I wanted to dock with. Maybe it has something to do with the alt-key being called the 'option' key on a Mac.

So I started changing key bindings in
Vega Strike 0.5.0/Contents/Resources/vegastrike.config
eventually entering the Mac lay-out I found here:
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/media ... s:Keyboard

But when I run the game, it seems that the keys do not change at all from the default settings.

Is there anything else I need to do to make my new bindings accepted by the game?
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Re: Key bindings trouble on Mac

Post by CLoneWolf »

An eventual local copy of the config will prevail over the basegame one; I don't know the exact location of such file on a Mac, but on Linux the user's home directory hosts a subdirectory named .vegastrike which contains the user's specific configuration.
By the way: to request landing clearance, just pressing d will work too, at least for now.
CdXiminez
Explorer
Explorer

Post by CdXiminez »

Thanks!
That pointed me to the right file.
The file to edit key bindings on a Mac is ~/.vegastrike-0.5.0/vegastrike.config .
CdXiminez
Explorer
Explorer

Post by CdXiminez »

Hmm, I changed the line for RequestClearenceKey to:
<bind key="0" modifier="none" command="RequestClearenceKey"/>

but it doesn't do anything.

So far, my fiddling with ~/.vegastrike-0.5.0/vegastrike.config has not had any useful results.
Am I still doing something wrong?
Can you give me an example of a changed key binding that works for you?
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

If you scroll down your config, you'll most prolly find this line...

<bind key="0" modifier="none" command="Cockpit::ZoomOut"/>

coming later than the RequestClearenceKey one, it will prevail on your setting ;)
Whenever you reassign some keys, you'll have to make sure that you're not creating conflicts (either remap the original command somewhere else, or comment the line if you don't need that command); tricky, yes, but life is unfair, even more in outer space :mrgreen:
CdXiminez
Explorer
Explorer

Post by CdXiminez »

Aha, I was hoping that anything with [name]::[other name] would only be assigned contextually under [name]::.
Thanks, that clears up another point.

I continued fiddling with the keybindings and found out the following:

The only letter key without an assignment is the "x".
Assigning the x to the docking request does nothing. So I assigned the x to SwitchLVDU to see if any change at all does something, and that did indeed work. So it seems that the request dock function that is mentioned in the manual, does not exist anymore.

I have not yet seen any key with the modifier="alt" do something on a Mac. I tried making it "option" but then it still doesn't do anything.
Assigning the typical Mac-key "§" on the far top left of a Mac keyboard doesn't do anything.

I'll continue to search for keys that work on a Mac.
Keller
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Keller »

There is a bug in the Mac version of VS whereby alt (i.e. option) isn't recognized at all. Don't waste your time trying presently. It's likely to be fixed, but just not at the moment.

I would suggest mapping to the 0 keypad key. I extensively remapped keys for my version on my Mac, and I'm pretty happy with them.

Another thing, many keys don't have a cntrl assigned to them, so you can get away with that too.

Hope This Helps,
Nothing is uninteresting. ;)
frankie
Trader
Trader

Post by frankie »

5 years later, alt key still does not work on Mac, making it impossible to dock (aka play the game in general) unless you edit the config file.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

frankie wrote:5 years later, alt key still does not work on Mac, making it impossible to dock (aka play the game in general) unless you edit the config file.
That may change if we change from SDL 1 to SDL 2 been some major updates especially on the Mac platform such as support for Retina displays and from what I hear some work on keyboard input :D an other project I follow has done so 0AD for OSX builds but not for Windows or Linux yet.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2