Ships spawning as cargo delivery points

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
eracc
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Ships spawning as cargo delivery points

Post by eracc »

I don't see a forum here that suggests "Post about what irritates you in VegaStrike". So, I'll post here and an admin can move it if needed.

I have not played VS in over a year. Maybe two. Since before 0.5.0 became a stable release in any case. Now I am trying VS again.

First, I do like that AI ships no longer spawn in front of my ships when I near a planet or other dock. Kudos for fixing that. After having that happen over and over, prior to the major game changes, was at minimum irritating. In actuality it is one of the reasons I stopped playing. Another "game stopper" for me were, if I did not like something, the suggestions to get the CVS/SVN checkout to try. After all VS is just a game and usually I do not have time for all that checkout, find dependencies and compile sequence. I just want something to play to relieve stress. Other reasons I cannot recall at the moment. I'm sure I will think of them sometime after I click [Submit] :)

Now there is a new niggle that I am seeing that I would like to not see. I will load up on three cargo missions or a combo of cargo missions culminating in a clean sweep mission in a distant system. I too often find that the places I am to deliver cargo are spawned ships, not planets or other "permanent" docks. Okay, I know how to match speed with a ship and dock, but too often these spawned ships fly away. Or they get so close to a planet I cannot dock with them but end up docking with the planet. Trying to dock with these ships for cargo delivery is UN-fun, NOT fun and a Bad Idea. I end up having to save and restart to try to get a different delivery point, " What?! STILL a SHIP? ARGH!", or just canceling the cargo run and dumping the cargo. Obviously, this just burns up FUN game time trying to do something frustrating.

How do I turn this off in the configuration? It IS an option, yes? PLEASE say it is an option.

I want to deliver cargo to a "permanent" dock on a planet or a space station. I am too often finding this is not the case. In my REAL business, when I ship or deliver a computer I built for a customer, I am delivering to a "permanent" location. I do not deliver to Ralph's car driving down Elm street. I would expect to deliver to "permanent" locations were I delivering computers to a planet near Rigal. I would not deliver to Snurgalc's OX hovering way too close to planet Flingbooger. If Snurgalc wants its computer it can go to a dock like everyone else, or have a location on some planet to which I can deliver its computer. :D
http://www.eracc.com/ - Linux, Unix, eComStation (Get rid of proprietary Microsoft and Apple!)
Custom Built, Preloaded PCs, Workstations and Servers - Business, Home and Gamer systems
My custom built Linux Gamer/Personal/Business box: Mageia Linux on - ASUS M4A78, 4GB RAM (Linux "sees" 3.2 GB with a 32-bit kernel), AMD Phenom Quad-core @ 2.6GHz, Radeon X1650 Pro PCIe, "sda" 250GB WD2500AAKS-0, "sdb" 150GB WD1500ADFD-0 (Raptor), "sdc" 150GB WD1500ADFD-0 (Raptor), "sdd" 500GB ST3500418AS, "xfs" file system on all but the / partition which is using "ext4".
eracc
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Re: Ships spawning as cargo delivery points

Post by eracc »

Yeah, I am first to reply to my own post and I am lame for doing it. :P

Okay, I decided no more cargo runs from the mission menu, docking with other ships just takes too long when I want to make quick credits. I'm just going to do the good, solid but boring, runs on Ocean/Arid <> commerce/mining. I make more at that anyway.
http://www.eracc.com/ - Linux, Unix, eComStation (Get rid of proprietary Microsoft and Apple!)
Custom Built, Preloaded PCs, Workstations and Servers - Business, Home and Gamer systems
My custom built Linux Gamer/Personal/Business box: Mageia Linux on - ASUS M4A78, 4GB RAM (Linux "sees" 3.2 GB with a 32-bit kernel), AMD Phenom Quad-core @ 2.6GHz, Radeon X1650 Pro PCIe, "sda" 250GB WD2500AAKS-0, "sdb" 150GB WD1500ADFD-0 (Raptor), "sdc" 150GB WD1500ADFD-0 (Raptor), "sdd" 500GB ST3500418AS, "xfs" file system on all but the / partition which is using "ext4".
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

Yeah, I don't think this can be turned off. When the ship is close to a planet though, did you try targeting it and hitting "0" for a docking request before docking? Because that might solve the docking-with-planet-instead problem.
eracc
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by eracc »

I think I did try to use "0" but still docked with the planet because I start spawning "d"ock requests when I near a ship. I'd rather not bump into that Kahan to which I am trying to deliver. :)
Last edited by eracc on Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Genghis Prawn
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Genghis Prawn »

I believe it may have something to do with difficulty level. I noticed that early on when I take missions from planets . . they go to planets or station. But has my credit balance increases the pay for deliveries increase . . and the difficulty of delivery increases as well . . (i.e. ships . . which at first just sit there but later move and even later on spin in place). If there could be a way to get low pay deliveries consistently perhaps the difficulty will stay low.

I am playing the svn version which has much better pay for missions . . especially the clean sweep and bounty missions which in the stable version often will not pay for the repairs to the damage the ship takes.

For credit balances though it seems speculative trade is always the way to turn the best profits. And you can always go to stable landing/docking places.

I have found that on the ships that move I have to hit ctrl+0 every 15 seconds or so .. and I usually do that far more often than that just to make sure. I also have to be very careful piloting to get to these ships or I just overshoot them time after time. Even though they may be stopped by the dock request the spinning ones still spin.
eracc
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by eracc »

Yeah, I have seen the spinning ships too. While that is funny to see, it smacks of a logic error and is probably a bug that should be squashed.