do asteroids stay 'dead'?

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
energyman76b
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

do asteroids stay 'dead'?

Post by energyman76b »

Hi,

since asteroid fields totally destroy performance on my box (phenom 2, hd3870, lots and lots of ram, but 12-20FPS), I started shooting them. They explode! Sometimes blue or sometimes red. Cute!

But do they stay 'dead'? Or do they respawn after a while? Is it possible to destroy all asteroids?
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Re: do asteroids stay 'dead'?

Post by CLoneWolf »

Not for good, sorry...
Long ago, freshly equipped with twin Ktek beams, I went beam-happy at the field around a base, after a long while, I almost cleared the field. I don't know if it was a matter of time or event trigger (dock/undock, jump out and then back in, quit and reload) but the pesky rocks were back.

Your fps loss is suspect tho, I have big problems when very close to bases or in ship crowds, but asteroids weren't too much of an issue, despite my CPU (Athlon XP 2200+) and GPU (FX5700VE) bottlenecks... time for a driver and config settings check?
energyman76b
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by energyman76b »

driver is über-latest catalyst. And I have the problem with all of them.

A while ago, svn went from 'performance is ok' to 'performance is horrible' around Fighter Bases and Asteroid Fields.

FB got better, AF not.

And the same settings are fine in ut2004.
Laraso
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Laraso »

Get more RAM? Vega Strike plays just fine for me, no matter where I am, or what I am doing. The only exception being fights with 20+ ships, then the frame rate drops by about 10. But, I am not really helping any by saying this, so I will give you some suggestions:

1: Get more RAM
2: Get a better graphics card
3: Update your drivers
4: Make sure you are playing on the same resolution your desktop is set to
5: Try lowering the graphics quality
6: Turn off shaders

Well, that is my quick suggestion list. Depending on your computer, some of these will not be worth your time, i.e. your computer has 4G of RAM.

As for the asteroids staying dead, I never took the time to kill them, so I wouldn't know.

Something I DO know, however, is that if it is an Asteroid Fighter Base or something like that, just blow up the base that the asteroids are orbiting and the asteroids will blow up with it, never to return again.
energyman76b
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by energyman76b »

8gb ram, phenom 2, hd3870. My specs are ok. There is some bug with asteroids fields and fighter bases.

One day from one svn checkout to the next it went from ok to horrible.... fighter bases got better, asteroid fields never did.
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

energyman76b wrote:8gb ram, phenom 2, hd3870. My specs are ok. There is some bug with asteroids fields and fighter bases.

One day from one svn checkout to the next it went from ok to horrible.... fighter bases got better, asteroid fields never did.
Then, VS code surely sounds like the main suspect; and checking the changelogs between the closest good and bad versions might shed some light on the matter.

But there's still room for an outsider: system updates that involved the libraries VS depends on at compile time between your last good compile and the current one. If that happened, and you'd have to check for yourself, VS might have been affected, while other software might have been statically compiled against earlier versions of those libraries and be immune.