VegaStrike on Acer Aspire One, Linux

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
HenktheR
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

VegaStrike on Acer Aspire One, Linux

Post by HenktheR »

Ive got a Acer Aspire One running on Linux (Ofcourse!), and downloaded VegaStrike. My screen resolution is as follows: 1024x600, its a netbook, see. Now Vegastrike then has to be run in 800x600. No problem Just waist some pixels on the side. But when doing that, the text in game is hardly visible, can I change that?If yes, how?

Thanks alot,

VS Newbie....
HenktheR
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Re: VegaStrike on Acer Aspire One, Linux

Post by HenktheR »

Anyone...?
Laraso
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Laraso »

What version of Vega Strike are you running? If the stable 0.5 version, open the Vegastrike-0.5.0 folder and then open the bin folder. Search for an application that says "setup", click and change the settings to what you want. If you are running the latest revision of SVN, open up the root folder, open up the bin folder, then search for an application that says "setup". Click it and change the settings to whatever you want.

Of course, the names of these files might be different, because I am running Windows.
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

Hello and welcome! :D
Before I switched to SVN (so I don't know if it's valid in SVN too as I haven't checked since) with a combo of very low graphical settings, the font for the whole interface was significantly bigger.

You might try to backup your current config and experiment with different settings via vssetup or, if you feel confident enough, fiddle with the single relevant values in the config file, I see there are a few related to font, like these:

Code: Select all

<!-- #Software Retro
  <var name="high_quality_font" value="true"/>
  <var name="font_antialias" value="false"/>
  <var name="font_point" value="10"/>
#end -->
If you try this, make sure you change the values in the section you have chosen as the active one, the others will be commented. If you're on Windows, The Sheperd loki1950's golden advice is to use Notepad++ as it will highlight the xml syntax and help preventing mistakes. On Linux you can use Nedit, Gedit or (I think) Kate.
HenktheR
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by HenktheR »

Thanks people,I'll try this stuff and let you know if it works!
HenktheR
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by HenktheR »

Okay, changed anti aliassing to 'false' and high quality font or something to 'true' Texts are clear now. But, now I'm running, I'm suffering from great framedrops! My Acer should be able to handle all this graphical violence, yeah? Its 1.6 Mhz, after all... Don't trust it, as I'm suffering from the same problem at all settings.
HenktheR
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by HenktheR »

No problem solve for the incredible framedrop problem? I really hope there is one, as I enjoy VS enormously, even when only doing cargo missions. But I would like to blow a pirate in to space without staring at a painting that changes every 4 seconds...
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

Unluckily I have no experience at all with Intel GPU's; there's the chance that your 3d acceleration is currently disabled, you might check other 3d games and see if the problem is only related to VS.
Here (Italian, sorry) the user LordKhain mentions 3d working on Kubuntu Karmic Koala, but it looks like he went quite bleeding edge to get it working, and even waiting for updates in hope for better performances. (And such an effort really makes me think that the shipped distro has no 3d working out of the box.)
In short, your GPU can do 3d under Linux; if it does well enough for VS, I wouldn't know... try if you dare! :mrgreen:
HenktheR
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by HenktheR »

Tried about everything, but no cigar as VS remains to lag when something larger than two pixels hovers around in orbit. I shed tears from my eyes, realizing this will be my very end as a inter galactic bountyhunter ---> sudo apt-get remove vegastrike...
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

Sorry to hear that :(
Any luck with other 3D software at least as a test?
Your CPU speed is not excellent for heavy gaming, mine runs at 1.8GHz (so, close to yours) and it becomes a bottleneck in the resource-hungrier situations; tho not as bad as yours, I experience significant FPS drop near complex stations or big fleets; and this with 1GB RAM and 256MB on the video card. Memory might be another bottleneck on your end...