Hello all (VS + networking)

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
Zephyris
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Hello all (VS + networking)

Post by Zephyris »

Pretty much new here :P

I was wondering if anybody could help me regarding running VS on a server (as in MMORPG, not LAN). I posted a more detailed thread in the MMORPG forum section (http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... 37&t=14978), but was wondering if some of you had some quick tips/tricks.

Also, may I inquire regarding the project status? Really don't wish such an amazing (and unique) project to "fall off the radar" so to speak. I wish I could help but I'm not sure how, since I have minimal coding experience in ANSI C, Prolog, Haskell and more experience in C# & Java (C# being my primary language). Besides that, I was involved in server setups (almost finished with my Cisco Certification) and worked as a network engineer in a datacentre.

Heard as well regarding an Ogre engine port for VS, though am unsure as to if the svn ogre branch is "playable".

Thanks again, and I'm certainly enjoying the choice.
Greekgifted
Merchant
Merchant

Re: Hello all (VS + networking)

Post by Greekgifted »

Hello!
I must say, I'm glad to see enthusiasm in multiplayer play. :D
As for tips and tricks, I'll tell you what had me stuck for quite some time.... The httpserver looks for the regular server, from the same binary as the deathmatch server. There are a few things you have to change in vegastrike.config and settings.py to get them to connect.

If you need any help, I'll try to show up more often!
Zephyris
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Zephyris »

Thanks, that problem I solved by putting a DNS entry in my DNS server to resolve vegastrike.sourceforge.net as my own :P

Since my DNS server is at home with me, and I have remote management on it, I can switch at ease.

I am connecting and registering on my own home server, problem is the server is not saving anything, neither to the sql db, not even to text file (save file)
Laraso
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Laraso »

Hello, everyone! Long time, no see. No really, long time, no see. I made a multiplayer mod a while back, so if you are serious about this thing, tell me and I can upload it. Basically, instead of the normal, 1 planet world, I added 10 stations and 10 planets too, made all weapons buyable, made missiles so they are bought in 10,000's, and made all the ships playable. Each and every one. Its really best for more of a deathmatch type thing, but its fun. :mrgreen:

EDIT: Greekgifted, have you ever figured out how to add enemy ships to the multiplayer world?