A really silly and very basic question about docking!

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
elija
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

A really silly and very basic question about docking!

Post by elija »

Having found and installed Vega Strike from Ubuntu 9.04 repositories, I have managed to to buy a cargo and get to a station to sell. This all went well as did buying a cargo to take to Oceanic:Atlantis.

How do I dock with the planet?
Is it the same process as for the station (o for request, d for dock when in the green square)
How close to the planet do I need to be?

So far this is proving frustrating....

[edit]Just saw the sticky about Ubuntu... Downloading from GetDeb now. My questions still apply though :)[/edit]
Keller
Merchant
Merchant

Re: A really silly and very basic question about docking!

Post by Keller »

If you have the planet targeted, just press 'd'. This will turn no the docking square. Once you get close enough (varies per planet), pressing 'd' again will actually dock (i.e. land) on the planet.

Hope This Helps,
Nothing is uninteresting. ;)
elija
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by elija »

Thanks for that - I'll give it a go.

On a related note, once I get within 5,500 km of a planet it feels like I could get out and walk there quicker! seriously in over half an hour I am still over 5,000 km away. If I'm not doing something wrong then I don't think I'm going to have the patience for this game, which would be a shame as otherwise it looks like it will be really good.
parkel
Hunter
Hunter

Post by parkel »

ok... there are 2 ways of activating docking squares for the planets/bases - by pressing d (as mentioned by keller) or pressing alt+0 (it's more convenient cos when u are in range for docking with a planet and you request to dock with a base, you dock into the planet instead.)

as for slow speed while docking...

1) press y to switch to travel mode. it will multiply ur speed by 1,000 times.
2) if u are willing to do some basic repairs and have bought overdrives, press tab to afterburn and increase the rate of increase for velocity.

by doing the above 2 steps mentioned, you can dock faster than before - use only when confronted with a planet. when u try to do this at a base:

1) most probably crash into the base.
2) and even more probable, overshoot the docking square and you have to make 180 degrees turn.

hope this helps~ :D
  • Derivative + pArKeL + a bunch of luddites = ?

:D
elija
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by elija »

Thanks guys

Well there goes my life :mrgreen:

It's come on a bit since the one in the Ubuntu repositories!
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome elija have you seen the sticky at the top of this sub-forum for the reasons for that difference :?:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
elija
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by elija »

loki1950 wrote:
Welcome elija have you seen the sticky at the top of this sub-forum for the reasons for that difference :?:

I certainly did - that's how I knew to download the new one
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Thanks for the feedback then just wanted to check if it's of use :wink:

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2