The game seems quite unbalanced

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
Fak
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

The game seems quite unbalanced

Post by Fak »

I just started playing the game and started with some trading and cargo missions. Suddenly, everywhere I go I keep having a bunch of 'forsaken' and 'uln' ships comming to kill me. I haven't done anything to these factions and my relationship with themare 3 and 1. But everywhere I go there are just many ships that came to kill me for no reason. I try to 'F1' each of them, but there are some that just attack anyway. Despite the fact that pressing 'r' and 'F1' everytime all the time is a pain. I can't even get into SPEC, can't run because they are faster (even if I did, there would be another one to catch me) and everytime I try to dock in a base, something that is time consuming, it is time for them to come and I have dozens of ships firing at me for no reason!!!

That renders the game completely unplayable, wich is really sad.

So, why is that happening??
What can I do to avoid it?
Knight Rider
Merchant
Merchant

Re: The game seems quite unbalanced

Post by Knight Rider »

I am kind of new to the game, and have been trading in peace. The thing I have found that works great for me is not to attack anything but pirates or Ludites because no one likes them. If you attack anything else early in the game they usually have other factions as friends.

If it is becoming unbearable, you might have to do what I did, and that was to start a new game and don't shoot at anyone, but f1 instead.

That has pretty much kept it peaceful for me. I hoped that helped.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome Fak as Knight Rider mentioned in the early stages don't shoot at anyone especially pirates they are the ones with Forsaken and Uln friends the Uln mainly because they are scavengers and no pirates means no freebies for them so stick with shooting Luddites they are the only faction that every one dislikes.So try a new game with those yhings in mind.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Fak
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Fak »

But how can I not attack the pirates? They come to attack me for no reason and I can't escape, because their ships are faster and I can't get into SPEC.
Are my only options to let them shoot me to death or to kill them to protect myself and put a bunch of others ships on my tail?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

The factional relations don't take self-defence into consideration ATM and that has been discussed quite a bit but so far no solution has been written it can be be done using Python and as such is not part of the core engine functions which are done in C++ with Python built in functions that those external scripts can use.But you can usually get away with a few self-defence kills before it gets out of hand.You can check your relations both in-flight with "shift m" which brings up the map screen then clicking the info button at any base as well but at that point you are safe :wink:

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

Fak wrote:But how can I not attack the pirates? They come to attack me for no reason and I can't escape, because their ships are faster and I can't get into SPEC.
Are my only options to let them shoot me to death or to kill them to protect myself and put a bunch of others ships on my tail?
When escape is really impossible, the minimum of self defense as Loki says is the way to go. But try harder to escape, at least when the attackers are few: press y to switch to travel settings, your max speed will be a lot higher (you won't be able to fire, but that's not a point when you don't want to kill :) ) hit the afterburner (buy the best overdrive you can) and fly a barrel roll; I rarely get hit by projectiles when flying like that.
Personally, I have bound the CH hat of my 3D joystick to the side thrusters; so, doing a barrel roll is just a matter of keeping the CH hat down or up and twist the handle for the roll.
Happy trading!
Fak
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Fak »

Good news. At least I won't be a sitting duck.
But when is it considered self defense? When they go hostile against you, when they lock on you, when they shoot you?

What is to fly a barrel roll?
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

Fak wrote:Good news. At least I won't be a sitting duck.
But when is it considered self defense?
Sorry, but as Loki said, nothing right now is considered self defense; every kill will worsen your relationship with that faction and the eventually related ones.
Fak wrote:What is to fly a barrel roll?
Sorry, I tried to explain it the way I do it... images would be surely clearer but I can't do one right now...
You know you can roll your ship while flying straight, right? That means that while your nose keep pointing forward, your body rotates clockwise or counterclockwise, without altering your course.

You also have side thrusters: they can move your ship up, down, left and right. If you fly straight and thrust down, you'll do a sort of vertical descent ahead; but if at the same time you roll, your relative "down" position rotates with you; the side thruster pushes you away from the center of your rotation, so that it happens with a radius > 0; your movement would be like skimming on the inner wall of a pipe, and your trajectory would resemble a coil.

I'm quite sure this explanation attempt makes it even less clear, further help from native English speakers is welcome :roll:
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

CLoneWolf wrote:You also have side thrusters: they can move your ship up, down, left and right. If you fly straight and thrust down, you'll do a sort of vertical descent ahead; but if at the same time you roll, your relative "down" position rotates with you; the side thruster pushes you away from the center of your rotation, so that it happens with a radius > 0; your movement would be like skimming on the inner wall of a pipe, and your trajectory would resemble a coil.

I'm quite sure this explanation attempt makes it even less clear, further help from native English speakers is welcome :roll:
Nicely explained. To further clear this explanation, though, CLone says that you should rotate your ship with the rotate left/right key (default: 'left/right' key), as well as pressing the strafe down key (default: 'period' key), which incidentally I happened to put a description on some days ago, which you can find in the keyboard layout in the wiki.
My Machine: OS: Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) 64 bit in a 500GB Maxtor HD @ 7200 RPM, Windows Vista PsyChoses Edition 2009 32 bit in a 500GB Samsung HD @ 7200 RPM CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz GPU: nVidia GeForce 9400 GT @ 1024 MB RAM: 3891 MB
Earthlings|The End of the Internet?|FreeWebsite
energyman76b
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by energyman76b »

loki1950 wrote:Welcome Fak as Knight Rider mentioned in the early stages don't shoot at anyone especially pirates they are the ones with Forsaken and Uln friends the Uln mainly because they are scavengers and no pirates means no freebies for them so stick with shooting Luddites they are the only faction that every one dislikes.So try a new game with those yhings in mind.

are you sure?
AFAIR if you kill too many luddites the purists will be pissed at some point (or was it LIHW?).
athomic1
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by athomic1 »

energyman76b wrote:AFAIR if you kill too many luddites the purists will be pissed at some point (or was it LIHW?).
According to the table I've got (which may be slightly out of date), the Purist faction is -5% toward the Luddites, while Purist Citizen is +5%. An interesting situation. Outside of them, the Uln, and the Dgn, everyone else seems to dislike them, most to the point of outright loathing.

SO, as long as you talk nice to any Purist citizens, instead of shooting them when they get uppity, you should be able to avoid trouble from them. The PCs HATE Pirates, so taking down one of them should make up for at least a couple of Luddites.

What I'd like to know, personally, is whether relationships between factions, other than those with the player/Privateer, ever change? Given how quickly the Uln and Forsaken come after you for shooting Pirates, it would be nice if they'd get mad at other factions, for a change.
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

athomic1 wrote:What I'd like to know, personally, is whether relationships between factions, other than those with the player/Privateer, ever change? Given how quickly the Uln and Forsaken come after you for shooting Pirates, it would be nice if they'd get mad at other factions, for a change.
Yes. Being the only member of the 'privateer' faction makes me (and you) feel quite lonely :cry:
My Machine: OS: Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) 64 bit in a 500GB Maxtor HD @ 7200 RPM, Windows Vista PsyChoses Edition 2009 32 bit in a 500GB Samsung HD @ 7200 RPM CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz GPU: nVidia GeForce 9400 GT @ 1024 MB RAM: 3891 MB
athomic1
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by athomic1 »

MC707 wrote:Yes. Being the only member of the 'privateer' faction makes me (and you) feel quite lonely :cry:
Which is a strange thing, because according to at least one of the bartenders' stories, there are Uln privateers.

Not that that puts us in good company. :lol:
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

athomic1 wrote:Which is a strange thing, because according to at least one of the bartenders' stories, there are Uln privateers.

Not that that puts us in good company. :lol:
Yeah, too bad they want more than to make us mere company :lol:
Munno
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Munno »

I'm - 75 for Uln and positive at least 7 for everyone else. Except Luddites. -100 for them.
Much love shall be extended to this excellent game and it's amazing community.

Munno's (outdated) guide to hacking VegaStrike Saved files!

There is no such thing as IRL, there is only AFK. In my case, year long AFKs.
"Do not walk in front of me for I will not follow.
Do not walk behind me for I will not lead.
Do not walk beside me, either. Just stay the hell out of my way!" - Stark
Laraso
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Laraso »

I have always found it helpful (although you may consider it cheating) to edit your profile in a text editor and change your relations with the ULN and Forsaken factions to a number such as 100, this will appear as an insanely high number in-game and you will never have to worry about this issue again.

Of course, if you destroy one of their ships, your relations with them will go down to -10.

Hope I helped.
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

MC707 wrote:Yeah, too bad they want more than to make us mere company :lol:
So...that's why they often attack with tractor beams, they want to get closer to us. :lol:

Seriously though, the Uln have an inferiority complex, so the more successful you are (kills of any kind), the more they dislike you. Fortunately the Uln ships tend to be junk, so usually you can avoid them and sometimes you can get them to crash into each other.
Turbo

There are two speeds in combat: stopped, and as fast as you can go. Unless you run into something, going fast keeps you alive more often than stopping.
Laraso
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Laraso »

Turbo wrote:the more successful you are (kills of any kind), the more they dislike you.
That isn't necessarily true... Stay away from pirates and you shouldn't have any trouble with the Uln.
Munno
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Munno »

ULN Gleaners are blockading my trade route. -_- I can't earn money now... They are at all 3 of my stops along the route, and there are several Yeoman pirates around every jump gate... :x
Much love shall be extended to this excellent game and it's amazing community.

Munno's (outdated) guide to hacking VegaStrike Saved files!

There is no such thing as IRL, there is only AFK. In my case, year long AFKs.
"Do not walk in front of me for I will not follow.
Do not walk behind me for I will not lead.
Do not walk beside me, either. Just stay the hell out of my way!" - Stark
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

Laraso wrote:That isn't necessarily true... Stay away from pirates and you shouldn't have any trouble with the Uln.
I was speaking from my own play experience, in which I played campaigns where I targeted only Luddites, or Aera.

But a look at the faction coding confirms that the Uln like almost everyone slightly, even Luddites and Aera. They are negative about no one and neutral on Hunters, Homeland Security, and ISO. Thus, any damage to most factions (including Luddites and Aera) makes them dislike you a bit more.
Turbo

There are two speeds in combat: stopped, and as fast as you can go. Unless you run into something, going fast keeps you alive more often than stopping.
Laraso
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Laraso »

Turbo wrote:I was speaking from my own play experience, in which I played campaigns where I targeted only Luddites, or Aera.

But a look at the faction coding confirms that the Uln like almost everyone slightly, even Luddites and Aera. They are negative about no one and neutral on Hunters, Homeland Security, and ISO. Thus, any damage to most factions (including Luddites and Aera) makes them dislike you a bit more.
Hmm... Well I wouldn't know about that then, because my relationship with them is 10000.