A Little Confusing...

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
Greekgifted
Merchant
Merchant

A Little Confusing...

Post by Greekgifted »

It all started when my joystick broke, doesn't want to turn right all the way. Too lazy to get a new one.

And then it dawned on me, I have a Wiimote! So I went about connecting it to my laptop, and now I can control the mouse/joystick/whatever with the Wiimote. :D

My question is this, for anyone that is familiar with this device: What should i map the different axes to for controlling my ship in Vegastrike? The Wiimote can do pretty much any movement in air and has a nice set of buttons too.... So if anyone has any ideas.....
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: A Little Confusing...

Post by loki1950 »

First off what OS are you using as that will define to tools at your disposal,then have a look at VS's log files specificity stdout near the beginning look for something that looks like this

Code: Select all

1 joysticks were found.

The names of the joysticks are:
    Logitech Inc. WingMan Force 3D
axes: 4 buttons: 7 hats: 1

this from mine then we start figuring out the order the buttons are in.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Greekgifted
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Greekgifted »

I am running Slamd64 Linux 12.2, and the buttons are not what I am concerned about. Guess I should have been more specific. The Wiimote (officially the Wii remote control) is kinda complicated. It has a motion sensor the tells me when it is tilted or moving. I can map these axes to an axis used in Vegastrike, for example. This is not a problem.

What I would like input on is what to associate the twists and turns of the remote with. e.g. twist my right hand to make the ship roll.

So uh... How do i get the logs (stdout) to pop up? I will try that and see what I get.

Thanks!
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Just run Vegastrike from a terminal with

./vegastrike 2>vserr 1>vsout
That will separate the output streams you won't need the ./ if you installed VS for all users the ./ tells bash to run the cmds files in the current directory.and the vsout vserr files are text files

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Greekgifted
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Greekgifted »

1 joysticks were found.

The names of the joysticks are:
    Nintendo Wiimote
axes: 5 buttons: 0 hats: 0
Hmmm, guess I still have a lot of work to do. I do have it set up for 5 axes right now, can do 3 more I think but 2 of them should be showing up as a hat switch I think... And again don't worry about buttons those I have down pat :D

Controllers in 3D is all very confusing.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Just did a quick Google.Linux search should be something of use http://www.google.ca/linux?hl=en&q=+Wii ... arch&meta= and with Slamd64 being Slack base you should have not to many problems ;)

Greekgifted
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Greekgifted »

Yeah I looked at a lot of different options, but an X driver? Cool, I'll have to try that. But that's not really what I was getting at. Using cwiid I can make my wiimote act as a mouse just fine.

What I'm looking for is where to map the different axes. Connecting is no good unless you tell it to do something :(

I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas on how to configure it for Vegastrike, what a twist should do, what the IR sensor should do, etc...

So if anyone has any ideas, would greatly appreciate it! Trying to keep this all straight in my head is a pain. :(

Thanks!
tfc_generalKMK
Merchant
Merchant

Post by tfc_generalKMK »

well as far as I can figure a twist in your wrist would do only one thing make the ship act like you pressed / as that makes the ship roll around in a circle

i have the problem of ctrl not working all the time so i don't know if it isn't a command or not but a shift / might making it roll the other way so configure it to be turning your wrist the other way

sorry i am not much help on this and this part you probably already know
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

i have the problem of ctrl not working all the time so i don't know if it isn't a command
This is on windows i assume and a known issue with the SDL.dll while on the mac it's the "alt" key that does not work no problem with the Linux version of SDL hopefully we can find a newer version soon that corrects that.

Greekgifted
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Greekgifted »

If you need to roll your ship back and forth insert and delete work nicely

Yeah I got the "wrist twist" to roll my ship, and now to aim my ship currently I'm using the pointing feature. So the more I point to an edge or corner of my screen the more my ship moves in that direction. Problem with this though is that its hard to fly straight ( you have to hold the remote really still and point it right at the center of the sensor bar). Still looking for ways to translate hand movements into ship movements...

I might find a way to lower the sensitivity, after which I'll be good. 8)
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

This is potentially a very cool and intuitive way to control your ship.
Turbo

There are two speeds in combat: stopped, and as fast as you can go. Unless you run into something, going fast keeps you alive more often than stopping.
Greekgifted
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Greekgifted »

It is cool. What I have to do is figure out how to adjust the sensitivity of the different movements. Right now you have keep both hands absolutely still, or face spinning out of control. :shock: And I still need to figure out which buttons I need on the remote, because if I reach for the keyboard then my ship starts spinning again.

Maybe I need to try a different driver, the one I have is good, but there might be better....