Logitech Wingman Force 3D DEATH ROLL!!

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
KillerB
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Logitech Wingman Force 3D DEATH ROLL!!

Post by KillerB »

Hello, I am new to Vega Strike. I'm using the V0.5.0 version. When playing without a joystick, my ship was fine. Once I added my Logitech Wingman Force 3D force feedback joystick, from the moment I launched my ship went into a death roll. No input from the stick or keyboard would stop this continuous roll. When I engage autopilot, the ship stops rolling, but once I get too close to the target for autopilot and it re-engages manual control, there we go again continuously rolling to the right. I found a joystick config page, but not only was my stick not listed, I only saw instructions on how to change >this button makes it do>this key function. I didn't see anything about how to fix my rolling problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Please keep in mind that while I'm an electician with electronics and avionics experience, when it comes to computereze I don't speak geek :roll:
[OC]Killer B
Vanguard Federation of Gamers
=VFF Productions=
Antares Mod for Freelancer Team
Storyline Writer/Cat Herder/PR guy
General in the Ordered Chaos Corporation
Vanguard 2 Server
Science Fiction and Action Adventure writer at Antares Dreamscape
Website Creator at Awesome Websites
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Re: Logitech Wingman Force 3D DEATH ROLL!!

Post by CLoneWolf »

Dunno if I'll be of any help, but 2 possible things come to mind:

1. a need for calibration, in case your joystick has its own program to do it.

2. a wrong default assignment of the joystick axes; try to move your throttle to different positions and see if your rolling changes, as in some cases the roll and throttle axes of the default config are reversed.

If this is the case, I'm sorry but you'll have to do something geeky: manually change your vegastrike.config file with an editor.
A text editor is fine if you don't make mistakes, an editor that understands xml syntax would be much better.
This issue was discussed here
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... 80#p110672

If you feel safer not to change your config (in case you want to try, first make a backup copy of the file just in case, you never know! :mrgreen: ) you can attach it here and we can modify it for you.

Thinking about it, as this axis inversion case seems more and more common, shouldn't we expand the setup choices? I know that having too many choices could get confusing, but trying em one by one would still be easier than altering the config...
As for naming, dunno... 3d Joystick (X, Y, Z, throttle) and 3d Joystick (X, Y, throttle, Z)

...or (scaring thought! :shock: ) is there only one correct order, ours, and the default config is wrong all the time?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

I have had to change it a few times and it does sound like a calibration issue as the same thing happens to me when my Wingman 3D goes out of calibration also if the calibration is off the throttle never gets close to 0,I assume you are running a version of windows most of the Linux guys mention it right off what flavour they are running :wink: I find Notepad ++ a good editor for this task as it can be set for syntax highlighting in this case the file is in XML which is at the bottom of the languages list when you click on it in the menu bar and if you have a problem with it just post the relevant section of the file and one of the geeks can do it :wink: though it will most likely be me :lol: BTW welcome aboard KillerB

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Mr. Bane
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mr. Bane »

Notepad++ for Windows, Gedit for Ubuntu.

Both have XML "Syntax Highlight". This might help you understand what you're looking at a bit more.
KillerB
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by KillerB »

Thanks for the replies and the warm welcome :D
I probably should have mentioned the system I'm running Vega Strike on:
HP Pavillion laptop 4G RAM 2G ATI Radeon 3200 Graphics running Vista.
I'm using the highest settings in the setup page, 1g transfer rate/highest graphics
That your mod even WORKS with Vista is a great achievment. Vista seems to HATE games :roll:
That you've managed to make it work with Vista at all is remarkable, especially considering the basic game y'all have modded is a real dinosaur. I tried downloading the free trial of Evocron Legends and it glitches every time I try to launch a mission, my cousin has EL on his XP machine and it runs fine.
I'll try to find and run the Logitech setup first before I attempt to dive off into any code stuff...the closest attempt I've made at actual modding so far had been to swap around weapons using notepad for CFS-2 and making some npc aircraft player-flyable by copying and pasting instrument panels. The most actual modding I've attempted so far w/ the Antares Mod Team has been writing up the info-cards and base and planet specs in our googledocs account.
BTW I wrote up a review of the Vega Strike Mod in the Vanguard forums and gave it a 9.5. I love the physics, the user interface, the missions, the economy, the customization level for ships and equipment; the only things I counted off for were the cheesy 2-Dish bar patrons and the wireframe jump nodes. Overall you guys did an incredible job making this mod :wink:

I wasn't experiencing an inversion problem, the ship just stuck in a roll to the right except while in autopilot. I even tried pulling the usb cable out, and the roll continued...so it seems more like simply having it set to the 3-axis setting was causing the problem. When I exited the game and tried it w/ the config set to 2-axis joystic w/ throttle it flew just fine...I just didn't have any roll input.
[OC]Killer B
=VFF Productions=
Vanguard 2 Server
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

AH Vista one thing we have learn that is critical with OpenGL games anyway is to turn off the Areo interface it just eats resources that the game could use :wink: And the two-axis and throttle work around for the death roll is something i had to do in XP for a while but the keypad "/" and "*" had an effect which are the default roll keys holding down the "/" stopped the roll in my case.But i spend most of my time in Linux where the that did not happen and i could run the latest code(build the binaries myself) and data.And thanks for the review the bases are 2D for now we are planing on moving to Ogre 3d for our rendering backend it brings lots of things with it 3d bases and a more flexible GUI system as well but that's in the future :wink: We are currently adding voices to the comm messages so looking for voice acting volunteers i even got shamed into it :lol:BTW the jump points are wireframe because they are just something drawn by the HUD as there is no real physical thing there just an anomaly that your sensors pickup and even that wire frame seems to bring some hardware to it's knees anti aliasing the lines.

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Mr. Bane
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mr. Bane »

BTW I wrote up a review of the Vega Strike Mod in the Vanguard forums and gave it a 9.5.
VegaStrike is a Mod?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Strictly speaking it is the data set and the engine are separate :wink: we kinda blend them together rather casually.
the current data set belongs to a specific time period in the VS universe that the Minister of Information created also waiting on an update to the background docs so we can proceed on developing a story line.

Mr. Bane
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mr. Bane »

Totally off topic (I hope you don't mind OP) but, since the data and engine are separate and the data is campaign based (Edition based, Universe based, whatever you want to call it: Circumstantial to the setting), does that mean anyone can take a fresh dataset and apply it?

If so, are there guides for this?
KillerB
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by KillerB »

I think ive found my problem...I found the logitech profiler but it won't run. Apparently the transformer I'm running the stick with isn't giving it the right voltage..although it doesn't seem to affect any other games.

I was calling Vega Strike a mod because I found it in the SWAT portal under 'Wing Commander'....I was thinking y'all had hacked the old Wing Commander software to create it.
[OC]Killer B
=VFF Productions=
Vanguard 2 Server
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Wing Commander Gold is a Mod of the Vegastrike engine they just updated the models and graphics everything else in the game is strictly WC canon,the Privateer Universe guys are adding storylines and extra ships the the Privateer Remake mod as the remake is kinda old and uses the 0.4.3 version of the engine they have there own site and forum now where i have been called the VS Consul General they also host the Vega Trek crew as to how to go about creating a Mod from the wiki
and a listing of the mods http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/media ... title=MODs.

@KillerB
transformer I'm running the stick with isn't giving it the right voltage..although it doesn't seem to affect any other games.
have you tried just unplugging the jack on the base we don't have force-feedback enabled yet apparently there weren't enough guys with FF joysticks to properly test it.And the logitech profiler may be an older version that ran fine on XP :wink: but this is Vista baby,so a check of the Logitech web site seems in order and does not Vista have a generic joystick calibration wizard like XP does just thinking out load.

denyasis
Hunter
Hunter

Post by denyasis »

KillerB;

Hello - I also have a Logitech and had a similar problem. here's how I fixed it :-)

If I may offer a test:
- Set up the joystick in the VSSetup so you will get the death roll.
-Play the game go fly
- Now while spinning - set the throttle on your joystick to about 50%
-- Does the rate of spining change? (it should lessen or switch directions)

-- I that happens - here's what to do:
In VSSetup you can have a thee axis joystick - select the "Joystick and Throttle Reversed" Option.

Why do I have to do that:
-- A three axis joystick w/throttle has 4 axis (the throttle counts as the 4th). Our joystick switch the z axis and throttle names when reporting to VS. The Joystick and Throttle Reversed option lets VS know the names backwards and ID's them correctly :-)

I wasn't experiencing an inversion problem, the ship just stuck in a roll to the right except while in autopilot. I even tried pulling the usb cable out, and the roll continued...so it seems more like simply having it set to the 3-axis setting was causing the problem. When I exited the game and tried it w/ the config set to 2-axis joystic w/ throttle it flew just fine...I just didn't have any roll input.
Reverse and inversion aren't the same thing here in VS (semmantics, I know, sadly). Reversing just switched the names of the inputs so the Games doesn't load them backwards. It doesn't invert the direction.

Hope that helps :-)
KillerB
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by KillerB »

Ummm okay....I'll try that. The throttle itself works just fine while using the stick w/ the settings on 2-axis w/ throttle.
[OC]Killer B
=VFF Productions=
Vanguard 2 Server
KillerB
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by KillerB »

I wound up using "3-axis w/ thottle" and "reversed" options. Now the death roll is gone, but my roll is backwards, that is to roll right I have to twist the stick to the left.
[OC]Killer B
=VFF Productions=
Vanguard 2 Server
denyasis
Hunter
Hunter

Post by denyasis »

yeah - Had tha same thing - Drove me crazy!

I figured you might have the same thing too!

Here's how I fixed it:

In your VS directory, there should be a file called vegastrike.config
It is an XML styled file, so any text editor can handle it.
Look for a section titled: (about 1/3 through the file, around line 310)

Code: Select all

<!-- #joy_t_a_rev -->
Right below it is a line that should look something like this:

<axis name="z" joystick="0" axis="3"/>
Add inverse="true" to the end just before the /, like so:

<axis name="z" joystick="0" axis="3" inverse="true"/>
Make sure there is that last thing on the line you edit is a /> -Its rather important!!

By adding the inverse="true" option, telling VS to reverse the Z axis, your ship should roll like normal :D

That ought to do it! :-)
Hope that helps!
KillerB
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by KillerB »

Okay, I'll give that a whirl..now if I can just get out of the Barnard's Star system in one peice....the Aera smeggin' hate me and they have some guns that shoot right through shields. I gotta get me some of those!!
[OC]Killer B
=VFF Productions=
Vanguard 2 Server
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

KillerB wrote:they have some guns that shoot right through shields. I gotta get me some of those!!
Those are weapons that do phase damage there are a few available to players but some percentage of all weapon effects go through the shields so look carefully at the weapon specs for a high phase damage stats.

KillerB
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by KillerB »

loki1950 wrote:
KillerB wrote:they have some guns that shoot right through shields. I gotta get me some of those!!
Those are weapons that do phase damage there are a few available to players but some percentage of all weapon effects go through the shields so look carefully at the weapon specs for a high phase damage stats.

Thanks for the tips! I had that backwards...I was thinking phase damage = shield damage. Made it outa Barnard's Star system FINALLY to the area with the unpronounceable names, now to make back some cash to make up for all the repair costs getting into and out of the War Zone :shock:

btw the stick works correctly now thanks to y'alls tips :D
[OC]Killer B
=VFF Productions=
Vanguard 2 Server