Planet Destruction

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
Amitabho
Explorer
Explorer

Planet Destruction

Post by Amitabho »

1) Is it possible?
2) And if it is, how much firepower do I need?

Also, I'm in the Alpha Canis Major system, and the only base I saw before I blew it up was a mining base. Shouldn't there be more, as it is a Interstellar Church of True Being's Return (Luddite) system? The only other things I see is a planet called Vegas. And a few wormholes.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: Planet Destruction

Post by loki1950 »

Sorry no planet busting :lol: they don't take damage at all ATM but that may change :wink:

I don't think any of the factions have head quarter bases or planets actually defined as such.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

Are there any physics experts who can calculate an estimated amount of megajoules in damage required to destroy a planet, or some smaller amount of damage to destabilize it, i.e. turn a bio-diverse into volcanic by interrupting its normal techtonic activity? I would assume that no current VS ships carry that much firepower.

What might work is for planets to have installations (subunits) on their surface and in orbit, which could be destroyed. Such installations would almost certainly include long-range point defenses. So, the requirement to drive a particular faction out of a system would then include destroying all his stations and also all planetary installations.

Turbo
Turbo

There are two speeds in combat: stopped, and as fast as you can go. Unless you run into something, going fast keeps you alive more often than stopping.
energyman76b
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by energyman76b »

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Tec ... hStar.html

answers how much energy is needed to destroy a planet.

AFAIR in earlier versions of vs it was possible to destroy a planet - but you needed to do more damage than you could generate in any sensible amount of time. Somebody hacked an escape-pod-of doom which was able to do it - just search the forum.
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

Nice link. It's always amusing when the scientists take on the sci-fi writers. They calculated that blowing up a habitable-sized planet (as opposed to rendering it uninhabitable) would take about 3E32 (3 with 32 zeroes) joules, which in VS terms is 3E24 MegaJoules.

The most powerful weapon in-game (which you can't buy) is a bit over 8,000,000 MJ per second. So to destroy a planet, you'd need to fire that weapon for (need the calculator for this part) 1189117199391 years, give or take a few weeks. Compare that with the toughest sentient-made structure in the game, a starfortress, where the same weapon punches throught the shields in 1/2 second, the armor less than that, and finishes off the hull in about 10 seconds. I'd say the game designers did the right thing by making it impossible to destroy a planet. :lol:
Turbo

There are two speeds in combat: stopped, and as fast as you can go. Unless you run into something, going fast keeps you alive more often than stopping.
goddardmaster
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by goddardmaster »

You can destroy planets, stars in the current version by editing the weapons_list.xml to do an insane amount of damage. I destroyed the entire solar system by using a P MinusbeamMKIV with 250000000000000000 MJ/s with an equal amount of range with 0 energy usage with 0 range prohibition. All planets or stars are destroyed instantly. You should try it - it is very fun blowing up planets.