Errrr... Ok but what does it do????

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
Total Newbie

Errrr... Ok but what does it do????

Post by Total Newbie »

Before I commit myself to a massive download I have a few questions.

Can you own stations and planets?
If so can you colonise stuff?
Can you pilot/buy Carriers and destroyers or is it simply a NPC ship?
Is there any great features I should know about?

Thank you for your time!
Duality
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

Post by Duality »

You can't buy stations or colonize it.

You can't buy but you can pilot a destroyer when running a .mission in the Launcher.

You can't own any stations or planets.
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

One word:

Dynamic universe
FlyingAce
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by FlyingAce »

an explaination of the dynamic universe: (dynamic universe is not finished yet)

FlyingAce wrote:what will happen is that the factions will be coordinated and strategically conquer each other. this is all taken care of by the a.i. and all happens in the background. your role will be to do whatever you want. if u decide to help confed and save one of their carriers from being destroyed, that could change the outcome of the war. If u become a spy for the aera, u could turn the war in their favor.

It will be a privateer game. even with the war in the background. it's sorta like freespace except continuous and u do whatever u want. u arent a general and u don't control armies, but u affect the outcome of the war (if u want/care). OR, u could ignore the war entirely and become a rich merchant, bounty hunter, whatever.

the main thing with the dynamic universe that I like is that it gives big cap-ships something to do instead of be generated by a mission the player takes, stand around, and then be attacked by pirates. It's more fun when the cap ships and other various ships are going about their business wheather u generate them or not. oh, and the generating ships for missions is taken care of too. if a cap-ship on the way to the front lines is being attacked by pirates, the mission to save it will be there because of the incident instead of the other way around.

EDIT: as I hear, in 0.4x, all the ships will be playbalanced.
I'm not sure, but I think that very rich ppl will be able to use small cap-ships.
zaydana
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by zaydana »

in the distant future you will be able to buy ships and hire mercenaries, then bore into the hull of a big star-runner, do 3rd person/1st person combat inside of it and the winner takes all :) Including the ship. But remember the 'distant future' part... like 3 years max :P
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

you can already hire mercs as your wingmen
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
luckless666
Trader
Trader

Post by luckless666 »

you can already hire mercs as your wingmen
Sorry, reading through the archives. How do you do this??? Oh and what DO the missions in the launcher do? whats the difference between internal, internal1, internal2, explore_universe etc...
Hey all.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

hmmm...I forget now...I thought we added the wingman feature again--it was gone for a while...
maybe it's only in CVS or on the CD image from cafepress--I'll have to refresh my memory
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by Silverain »

hellcatv wrote:hmmm...I forget now...I thought we added the wingman feature again--it was gone for a while...
maybe it's only in CVS or on the CD image from cafepress--I'll have to refresh my memory
4.1D release didn't have it, but is the cafepress CD got a later build?
THOUGHT CRIME! [points finger] THOUGHT CRIME!
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

Well it was released slightly later so we decided to include some of the bug fixes and features that weren't important enough to make people download a 1xx meg file

you can get it from CVS or grab the CD ;-)