NO save game available except by "quitting".

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
ddt
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

NO save game available except by "quitting".

Post by ddt »

Installed Stable VS 0.5.0 on laptop, OS win Vista, 32 bit, Intel duo-core, 2GB ram.
Running "Campaign" as my Internet is dial-up and can NOT connect to server, also independent server gives an unable to connect error.

Cephid 17 stays the same, but all other "systems" beyond jump-points change on restart. (corrected in config file by changing deleteoldsystems to "false" from "true".)

Found that VS MUST be mounted on "C" drive or there are docking problems with units.
Even then, SOME cargo deliveries can NOT be made because unable to dock with units, (usually ships.) corrected, in part, by making change in config file by change in "physics" section to "unit_collision_docks" value="true"" and "dock_to_area" value="true" Even then SOME do NOT allow docking THAT way either!

SOME key commands do not work, such as "locking" a target.

Volume controls do NOT work at all, even after suggested change found in notes to delete the wrapper .dll.

The ONLY way to save a game is to set config file to "write_savegame_on_exit" value="true", and quit the game.
When you restart at Atlantis, you have a "default" Llama, and whatever money you had. IF at another station, such as Serenity, SOMETIMES, if you are in another ship, you get to keep the "base" ship with NO upgrades.

IF you access "save" on a base/planet it gives you a message box, with "must enter name to save" BUT IT DOESN'T let you enter anything and it doesn't save anything.
The SAVE problem is the one I really need a "fix" for though!!

By the way, IF you install a joystick, and go to hibernate, it will NOT work when you return. (minor problem since I "drive" by keyboard quite well!!)

HELP!
Thank you
Benison
Merchant
Merchant

Re: NO save game available except by "quitting".

Post by Benison »

i run a win7x64 and dont expirience those issues.
docking at area ships, persistent systems after first generation, and so forth, seems all fine to me...
havent yet tried to change sound volume or pluged in a joystick tho.

guess vistas user management is to blame for this stuff and you propably can bypass it by running the game as root.
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

What VS's error messages are?
Other than that... No idea what happened after XP (other than massive Apple-style inconveniences in Vista), but in XP when you wanted to set up proper permissions, the best way was to run any problematic stuff while watching with Sysinternals FileMon, to see where exactly your problem is.
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
Mr. Fahrenheit
Trader
Trader

Post by Mr. Fahrenheit »

I found that after installing 5.1, I could successfully run as 'not root' :shock: if I fired up explorer and reset all of the Vegastrike directory tree permissions to allow 'Full Control' from 'All Users'.

Also, for what it's worth, I have a multi-core cpu (Q6600) and found that I had reasonably frequent game crashes until I specified a shortcut like so:

'target' = C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C "start /affinity 1 vegastrike.exe"

'start in' = "C:\Program Files (x86)\Vegastrike"

...which, to my understanding, means that the OS will not pass off the execution thread to another CPU. Since doing that, the only time I have exited the game is when I explicitly quit (though specc-ing into another ship by accident and random chance brings up that old Space Hag in a hurry)
ddt
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by ddt »

To replies so far!

Benison -Might be, as I have 32 bit.

I wonder if it could be because of the way the laptop uses the "function" key since it does NOT have a keypad to put those functions on other keys (u-p,j-; and m-/)

Turbobeholder - 0.5.1 Beta loads but won't run at all, "Error message is 'no starting location'". Also, I have the same problem running as Administrator as I do using the "limited" account. Might try your "bypass" idea though the NEXT time it "starts over" on me. THAT is WHY I stayed with the 0.5.0 version.

Thanks for the ideas.
Benison
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Benison »

im playing on a laptop with a somewhat crappy keyboard layout too, i have all nessesary keys available without holding down the "fn" key tho.
your running any vendor specific keyboard drivers?

as for the user settings: theres various games having trouble with the user management when running under vista.
there a couple of hacks out there to resolve this(same as the "old" x64 driver problem, where you have to manually extract the needed files from a winxp pro x64 in order to get your hardware running under vista), hence its quite not uncommon as i might add.
Mr. Fahrenheit
Trader
Trader

Post by Mr. Fahrenheit »

I think I should add that I am running on Windows 7 (64 bit) OS, so if you have Vista, your mileage may vary.
ddt
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by ddt »

Benison wrote:im playing on a laptop with a somewhat crappy keyboard layout too, i have all nessesary keys available without holding down the "fn" key tho.
your running any vendor specific keyboard drivers?

as for the user settings: theres various games having trouble with the user management when running under vista.
there a couple of hacks out there to resolve this(same as the "old" x64 driver problem, where you have to manually extract the needed files from a winxp pro x64 in order to get your hardware running under vista), hence its quite not uncommon as i might add.

The ONLY "vendor specific" possibilities are the drivers from TOSHIBA, (I'll never buy another one!)
Their modem drivers are ALSO "chip" specific, AND proprietary, so my Debian can't use them, even WITH a wrapper, and since I only HAVE dial-up available, that means NO on-line play. (My only OTHER option is satellite!)

ALSO, I don't play using Debian, because on THIS computer, it runs even WORSE than with windows. (Mouse EXTREMELY slow and jerky, even if used only where needed, and mandatory!)
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

ddt wrote:Turbobeholder - 0.5.1 Beta loads but won't run at all, "Error message is 'no starting location'".
It should not have such problems if started in menu. Does config have <var name="default_mission" value="main_menu.mission"/>? If yes, it probably didn't even find the config itself because the directory placement is messed up. Which is exactly what makes most Vista-related problem reports (with any soft) i saw.
May need to add "-Dwhere_vegastrike_data_including_default_config_really_is" in command line or something like this. Or compatibility options, if any. Or symlink it.
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter