Win XP/XP64 players, does your sound work?

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
shoklar
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Win XP/XP64 players, does your sound work?

Post by shoklar »

I recently started playing VS and had a hard time getting cockpit sound to work. Tried installing OpenAL from Creative and OpenAL-soft, no dice. After installing new (fresh) drivers for my sound chip (onboard Realtek HD 883) it worked. Couple of crashes/resets and the sound quit. Tried reinstalling OAL/OAL-soft but no go. Reinstalled Realtek drivers - in there like swimwear. Worked. BTW, re-install of VS didn't work. Had to re-install Realtek drivers.
Are there any Windoze peepz who have VS working without (sound) driver issues? I run XP x64 that should be the same (functionally) as 32-bit XP. Vista/7 are likely different. XP uses DX, Vista/7 supposedly use OAL.
Thanks.

Shok'Lar
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Re: Win XP/XP64 players, does your sound work?

Post by travists »

I run XP with no sound issues. Crashes, yes, but sound works. I assume you have sound elsewhere?
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

I have windows 7 64 and some programs cause my sound to cut out for no apparent reason. It can only be fixed by reinstalling my realtek audio drivers. I haven't observed this behavior with vs, but it may be some underlying problem with the audio drivers rather than the game.
shoklar
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by shoklar »

LOL Texas! I lived in Brownsville for a short time... The Borders on Media Luna... Hit Corpus, go south and keep getting it til you run out of TX! U-turn and drive a mile.

My only sound issue is with VS-based apps. If sound goes out on one, all are gone (PGG, PU, VS, PiArmada). Have to reinstall drivers. NO OTHER app does it, period. Seems random, too. Can't even force it. I've been beating on PCs since 93-ish (had Priv and Armada when new w/ PAS16/Ensoniq Soundscape combo - hella fight to make em work). DOS IRQ issues... I'm calling it a VS-engine and/or XP x64 issue, not even Oblivion gave me such headaches. I overclocked 486s w/ ISA/EISA/VLB systems and adopted PCI from go (with an AMD 486 DX4/100 @ 120) for Heaven's sake...
VS (et al) is the only "known" OAL app I have, maybe a registry cleaner hosing the settings? Ah, more testing... being that XP is D3D and XP x64 is sort of a unique beast, could be the thing...
THANKS for the replies. Win 7 should be like MS' joke (Vista) and an OAL system where my XP x64 is D3D, that "could" explain why your sound goes out where mine does not (most apps I use are D3D/DX). Also why my system has trouble with VS (etc...) due to OAL and yours does not... I'll test the currently working VS (et al) next time I run my reg cleaner and see if it hoses.
Again, THANKS for the replies. Even though it's a bit rough, I love VS. IMO, worth fighting with the machine to "keep" it working. BTW, thanks to all who made it happen. Viva la Space Sim!
Y'all Be Cool,

Shok'Lar