What prgram is used to do the 3D Models?

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
Dredious
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

What prgram is used to do the 3D Models?

Post by Dredious »

Hi im interested in knowing what program is used to build the 3D models with in Vega Strike?

I have blender, is that what is used to create the 3D Space and models?

Thank you.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Re: What prgram is used to do the 3D Models?

Post by klauss »

I've seen people use a variety of programs, from wings to blender to even 3ds max.

Anything that can export an .obj format can be used, since we have a tool to convert from .obj to our binary formats.

There's a script for blender that outputs the binary format directly, but it's old, so I'd suggest the blender -> obj -> bfxm route instead.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Your best bet is going to be blender if you dont know much about modeling as there are a lot of help threads and tutorials on this forum and wcjunction about the bfxm file format, vs engine details, and other assorted goodies to help with creating 3d models for VS though for overall software... I would say check out

FREE 3d modelers
Blender
trueSpace (free windows only, was a mi/high commercial product, also not sure of .obj export.. think it will though)

Expensive
3d Studio
Maya
Softimage (not sure which of the above will export .obj)
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
Dredious
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by Dredious »

I got blender i will keep using that then.

So whats the deal if you design ships and space debre in blender, what do you do send the models to someone?

Is their a particular criteria to follow when designing stuff for vega strike?

I have been playing Vega Strike and its cool, but jees are the controls confusing at first, also a bit glitchy. But soon learnt how to surpass that.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

once you finish up the models you do the baking and normal maps.. then run it all through mesher (i think). Just do a search for blender posts by chuck starchaser, those are the ones you need to read over to get a handle on how the VS modeling works.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

pheonixstorm wrote:Your best bet is going to be blender if you dont know much about modeling as there are a lot of help threads and tutorials on this forum and wcjunction about the bfxm file format, vs engine details, and other assorted goodies to help with creating 3d models for VS though for overall software... I would say check out
Blender is sort of king of this hill, yes. With best prospects at least until K3D becomes simpler to use or something like this, so for people really in 3D it's a good idea to learn it.
It's easier to learn one's way around AoI and Wings, though, and they are good in their specific areas.
pheonixstorm wrote:FREE 3d modelers
Here's a big list already.
Dredious wrote:I got blender i will keep using that then.
So whats the deal if you design ships and space debre in blender, what do you do send the models to someone?
Is their a particular criteria to follow when designing stuff for vega strike?
Category:Modeling in VSwiki covers most of this, including "Model Guidelines".
Dredious wrote:I have been playing Vega Strike and its cool, but jees are the controls confusing at first, also a bit glitchy. But soon learnt how to surpass that.
Yea, very haphazard. I changed a lot of bindings in config.
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter