game doesnt start-eg initialize <windows 7>

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
abbs
Explorer
Explorer

game doesnt start-eg initialize <windows 7>

Post by abbs »

i have just installed vegastrike 0.5 and i click on it and it doesnt run...i check the task manager and it is there slowly running up memory...i set the game up properly i know.. i'm running windows 7, SiS 672 graphics and 2Gig ram...is there anyone else with that problem or is it just that vega strike takes a long time to start<sarcastic>...i've also installed the C++ runtime thing and am trying to run in admin mode
klauss
Elite
Elite

Re: game doesnt start-eg initialize <windows 7>

Post by klauss »

start<security paranoid>You should never start any misbehaving (ie: crashing) program in admin mode end. Now, VS isn't malware, but that doesn't mean it can't been infected on the way to your computer.<security paranoid>

Now, leaving security paranoia aside, we've had reports of VS crashing on windows 7 due to some problem with OpenAL. You could try using vssetup to disable all sound, and trying again.

About memory consumption, VS does use up a lot of it. Well over 1G isn't unheared of.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
abbs
Explorer
Explorer

Post by abbs »

nothing also its not crashing...its just doing nothing...i wait half an hour and i check the task manager and am at like 60 megs used and it slowly increases ... i just use admin mode cos that works on some games and have also used some compaibility modes....nothing works also i always scan files before i open them
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

That's weird.

You could try WinDbg or OllyDbg to see where it hangs. It would help us quite a bit.
Wing Commander Universe
abbs
Explorer
Explorer

Post by abbs »

i tried but it is impossible... the game doesnt hang or crash...all do is open the file...no window opens...no real show that the program even started...i check the task manager and after a time-already stated to be a LOOOONG time- i check the process tab and i end process after seeing what i already said. i could easily be missing something tho...i am glad you are putting up with me tho i feel like a noob
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

You can leave it running for a while and then "stop" it with the debugger. It should tell you, for each thread, where it was running.
Wing Commander Universe
abbs
Explorer
Explorer

Post by abbs »

using ollydbg i noticed something there was a thing saying no more files (00000012)...i dont know what it means as i am not a programmer...i've downloaded and re installed vs twice now buuut i dont know.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Can you copy&paste the messages?
Wing Commander Universe
abbs
Explorer
Explorer

Post by abbs »

i dont know how sorry
kirbysiville105
Explorer
Explorer

Post by kirbysiville105 »

I've been contending with the problem for some time. Go into the bin folder. Start setup.exe, turn off sound, and music/volume as well, then set it to 32bit color windowed, and see if it will at least start. I also usually bring up an instance of task manager so that I can monitor if vegastrike.exe*32 starts up in processes. If I have either sound or music/volume initialized at all, I'll get a vegastrike.exe*32 but no start up of the game. If you check the stderr.txt and the stdout.txt you will find they are truncated as well. If you run setup and turn off sound and music/volume and it does start, then look at the new stderr.txt file, and stdout.txt files you will see they are much longer.
abbs
Explorer
Explorer

Post by abbs »

... it opened instantly...thank you so much i had almost given up....it is kinda depressing that all sound and music had to be turned off...why is that???
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

kirbysiville105 wrote:I've been contending with the problem for some time. Go into the bin folder. Start setup.exe, turn off sound, and music/volume as well, then set it to 32bit color windowed, and see if it will at least start. I also usually bring up an instance of task manager so that I can monitor if vegastrike.exe*32 starts up in processes. If I have either sound or music/volume initialized at all, I'll get a vegastrike.exe*32 but no start up of the game. If you check the stderr.txt and the stdout.txt you will find they are truncated as well. If you run setup and turn off sound and music/volume and it does start, then look at the new stderr.txt file, and stdout.txt files you will see they are much longer.
I thought it had to *crash* for it to be *that* bug, but I guess hanging is possible just as well, from this experience.

Mental note taken.
Wing Commander Universe
kirbysiville105
Explorer
Explorer

That's what I've been trying to work with this last week. looking at the stderr.txt, and stdout.txt you can see the difference. I'm not sure of the exact start up sequence, but it seems that if any of the sound, music/volume is activated in the setup window then something that starts before the OpenAl portions hangs the program. If you would like I can paste the 4 text files here and you can look at them again.
abbs
Explorer
Explorer

Post by abbs »

i did some checking myself...since its OpenAL thats the problem i installed the latest full version i could find...even with sound it seems to work fine...thank god i've been wanting to play for AGES...i'd say the AL version included doesnt support windows 7 kirbysville105 try that if you havent already...klauss thanks for the help you gave
kirbysiville105
Explorer
Explorer

Hey there abbs
I went to the OpenAl site and everything else I thought was pertinent and Google-able and none of it helped me, thanks anyway. I'll check into the debug programs that klauss mentioned earlier, and also try swapping my ATI video card with an Nvidea one later.
I was wondering, you mentioned your video chipset was SIS 672, is that an integrated chip set? Also could you post more of your specs, like what is your north bridge and south bridge chip sets. Or just your mobo and cpu, I can find out its specs online easily enough.
My systems have MSI and ASUS mobos, with ATI north bridge chipsets, and I'm sort of feeling that they may be suspect, there's historically been bad blood between ATI and Creative, and it wouldn't be the first time for me to experience conflicts between ATI and creative drivers.
abbs
Explorer
Explorer

Post by abbs »

its integrated...its a laptop...powerful one now it runs vs quite well for my purposes but opening a jump gate is a bit choppy...i wouldnt know much of the other specs tho...its an advent 9115...sorry the other solution didnt help...it was just the sound that wasnt working obviously it would be more pertinent to check all the sound software rather than graphics imo.
Neskiairti
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Neskiairti »

the problem with jumps right now.. is during jump it generates the entire system you are jumping in to... and that takes alot of power.. its just a design flaw that will eventually have to be redesigned.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

It's not that big a deal. The generated system is cached, so only the first jump ever (not just from game launch, but ever) is slow.

Although I guess adjacent systems could be generated in the background.
Wing Commander Universe
kirbysiville105
Explorer
Explorer

I came across a BFG 6600 OC and dropped it in, and that didn't change anything. Also updated the svn just to be sure, nada with sound or music. Played a little anyway, got a jump drive and went to AR-17 and promptly ate the refinery. Guess I'll be needing a refresher on key commands. Better yet I'll hook up my hotas and program the keystrokes into that.

I just loaded P\U and Vega Strike onto a Dell Dementia E521 with an Athlon dual core, and an Nvidea 8400 integrated video chip set running XP home edition. Both run just fine with full sound and music, and all the other settings pretty much maxed out as well. I was given the go-ahead to load W-7 onto it so I'll be able to see whether it will work after the rebuild.
bhikkunoir
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by bhikkunoir »

I'm having the same issue, when I open the application nothing happens. I get an indicator of thinking for a second, in my processes on TASK MANAGER I get a vegastrike entry for about one second.... then... nothing.

I tried turning off my sound and updating my openAL... none of which has fixed said issue at all.

Granted, it could be the low-rent laptop I'm on, by no means a dinosaur, but not exactly deep blue either.

any other general suggestions before i uninstall and call it a day?

Thanks in advance. :)
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

What version of VS? SVN? 0.5?
Wing Commander Universe
bhikkunoir
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by bhikkunoir »

I'm on 0.5.0 I'm very interested in playing, I'm new to the game, but it's right up my alley, I just need ta' sort out how to run it. lol
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

What are the specs on your hardware?

Ie: amount of ram, GPU brand and model, driver version, mostly.

Some of that is in stderr.txt/stdout.txt, which are in your VS program folder (right next to the executable file), so if you can attach them here it would probably help.
Wing Commander Universe