Light and medium fighters

Post your best tactics and strategies for getting the big bux in Vega Strike
MERCYLESS
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Light and medium fighters

Post by MERCYLESS »

Could someone give me some help to pick a good light and a medium fighter.I have a Lancalot, Goddard and the llama but would like a medium and light fighter.I have a Derivative and a Dostoevsky but am not sure how these ships compare to others.Also is the Clydsdale availible to buy anywhere (i know i could change save file to get one but i would rather buy one if possible).Oh and a quick question, its says in the description of the Derivative and Dostoevsky that their top speed is over 1000 but mine do about 340-345.What do i need to buy for these ships to get them to do that speed.One more thing what do the shady mechanic and the cargo upgrades do, do they actually work they dont seem to make any difference.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Derivative and Dostoevsky that their top speed is over 1000 but mine do about 340-345.
The descriptions are in Km/hr while the the HUD is in meters/sec do the conversion :wink: You can find Clydesdale's for sale at Trantor class planets but not all the time.As for the cargo and shady mechanic upgrades haven't played with them much need more data here guys what works and what doesn't with how it breaks if you can.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

Since I happen to heavily prefer light/medium fighters ever since WC3...

- The Dostoevsky is a good all round fighter, decent firepower and can carry a lot of missiles. It is unable to fire salvos, however. The governer settings for max combat and afterburner speed are also lower than for similar fighters (clever use of the 'y' key can fix this though). Dual heavy weapon mounts are pretty good for taking anything from fighters to corvettes. The milspec model is recommended due to its large reactor, good radar, autotrackers, and low price.

Recommended armaments for the Dostoevsky are neutron guns, tachyon guns, or ktek beams. Reaper guns are obviously a good choice but expensive and uncommon. Heavy ion beams may look tempting but are not very good against fighters; likewise, those nice-looking razor guns are contraindicated, as the power drain is far too much for a medium fighter's reactor.

- The Derivative is great for taking out fighters in close combat, or blasting corvettes; it handles really well and can dodge gunfire much better than similarly sized ships like the Lancelot. It's a really great ship, but the weakness is that it can't carry many missiles, and no heavy missiles at all, although it can fire a salvo of up to four missiles. *Be careful* when flying this ship into big engagements, because enemies with big missile loadouts have a range advantage over you.

In my experience, a pair of ktek beams and a pair of light ion beams is a good weapons loadout. If you can afford reaper guns, buy them - range is a good thing.

- The Progeny can make a good light fighter, but in 0.4.3 it is basically broken. To be effective, the stock model must be modifed to handle a L2 reactor. I'm not sure how to fix the milspec model.

This ship is very maneuverable and has incredible acceleration (about twice as good as a Dostoevsky). However... It only mounts two medium weapons. This is a bit of a problem. I've tried several setups and found dual light ion beams to be the most reliable, though beam attenuation means they have some range issues.

On the other hand, the Progeny can carry a lot of missiles, mostly special missiles. For these I recommend hail or photon-swarm rockets, and maybe javelin; IMHO there's nothing very special about swarm and killerbee, and breeze rounds just plain suck.

- The Gawain has pretty good stats, and can take quad light weapons. This may not sound like much, but four light ion (or even laser) beams can really ruin someone's day. IIRC it also can take a fair number of missiles. Most notable for the afterburner speed being no greater than the max combat speed, and also for the genuine leather acceleration couches.

For any light fighter, I would heavily recommend buying a milspec reinforced hull. Four extra metric tons won't hurt you. Four cubic meters of upgrade space might hurt a little, but it's worth it for the survivability, and for seeing Uln rip their Dodos' hulls open when they try to ram you.
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

Oh... Didn't notice you were using SVN, whoops.

You might want to take my advice with a grain of salt then, things are pretty different in 0.4.3.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

The base ship stats are the same but weapon load out is really different just did a test mission to check dock points on the research station riding a Dosti it was equipped with Hephaestus Cannons

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

Actually twin Hephaestus minis were standard for milspec Dostos in 0.4.3 IIRC. No idea why, they're kind of crap when not paired with other weapons (at least in 0,4.3).