Time DEceleration

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Time DEceleration

Post by peteyg »

Time deceleration. Why?

Because it would look cool.
It would help me take cooler screenshots.

Is this as easy as making a key for it? Because if it isn't, it's probably too much trouble.

EDIT: Deceleration as opposed to accelleration. I want to be able to make time go slower.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

there is a key for it
<bind key="function-9" modifier="none" command="TimeDec"/>

that would make function nine decel time
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

Wonderful! Hopefully I will be able to use this to help take more well-timed battle screenshots, which may make for some exciting splash screens.
Surfdargent
Developer
Developer

Post by Surfdargent »

And you know what would be great ? A splash screen to display after a jump animation while the client is receiving the next star system data from the server ;)

So if someday you are inspired to do a kind of in-jump screen I would be delighted.
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

Hmmmm. What should be displayed on such a screen? The same random stuff that will show up at the beginning of the game? If there are bunches and bunches of splash screens, that might be neat. Right now, I've only got 7.

Right now, the best I could think of for a generic 'jump' screen would be some sort of fancy wormhole effect or diagram.
pontiac
Elite
Elite
Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Post by pontiac »

How about just displaying a list of items (planets,jumppoints, capships, no small ships) in the system you jump to and a simple (jumping) background. Though, i don't know if this info is already loaded at that time :?
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

Yeah... but that might require some actual complex work to do something dynamic like that.
pontiac
Elite
Elite
Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Post by pontiac »

PeteyG wrote:Yeah... but that might require some actual complex work to do something dynamic like that.
Knew that , the forum isn't called "Feature Request" for nothing ;-)
But you are right, it would be too much work to do.

I think the random background will do just fine, if we just get some more.

Pontiac
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

Well, I've been taking some screenshots with the slowed-down time, and it is just totally awesome. It's letting me get some pretty neat camera angles.

The only problem I am having is with that colored target box when I am in the F8 view target camera mode. Is there any way to get rid of the target boxes? I could only figure out how to change their color in the VS.config
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

not at this time--- for now just make it black (maybe make the alpha 0 )
but... I'll try to add an option to turn those off later
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

PeteyG wrote:Well, I've been taking some screenshots with the slowed-down time, and it is just totally awesome. It's letting me get some pretty neat camera angles.

The only problem I am having is with that colored target box when I am in the F8 view target camera mode. Is there any way to get rid of the target boxes? I could only figure out how to change their color in the VS.config
you could always once the screeny is lined up target something not on the screen? or were you looking at everything?

Dan.a
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

Well, i was using the target view camera ( F8 ) to get multiple angles of the action at slow speed. If things are nice and slow, I usually just take a picture out the side or rear window and make sure i don't have anything targeted in view. But with the target cameras, I'm usually out of luck, and have to do my best to minimize the damage my target will do to the pic.
Last edited by peteyg on Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

hehe.......ah, I see your dillema :-)

Dan.a