MIDWIFE - Shaper Auxiliary Carrier

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

MIDWIFE - Shaper Auxiliary Carrier

Post by Fendorin »

hey

Ihave a new starship

i propose a carrier special protect design and architecture

the deck is in a trench
and trench closing buy large door (just in heavy engage)

and a shappers color's is fun but very dark

loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

like her shape clean lines 8) and re your problem making meshes what operating system are you using so i can properly answer.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

A little less curvacious than I might have expected from a shaper ship, but good nonetheless.

Would be thrilled if future models/textures featured more obvious retro and maneuvering thrusters. Likewise, if large fins are present and do not appear to be used as hull-extensions for providing a clearer firing arc, perhaps make their use (presumably radiator surfaces) more apparent?
Shissui
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Shissui »

jackS wrote:Likewise, if large fins are present and do not appear to be used as hull-extensions for providing a clearer firing arc, perhaps make their use (presumably radiator surfaces) more apparent?
In this case -- I would put the biggest turrets on top & bottom of the front fins; and raise them just a trace taller -- then there is a clear firing arc straight back past the hull of the ship.

Similarly, if you rotate the rear engines 90 degrees, then they do not interfere with this same rearward firing arc from the front turrets.
I want to live in Theory. Everything works in Theory.
Nano_Lite
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Nano_Lite »

Eh, I say ships need all manner of useless doo-dads just so they look cool. Very good ship, Fendorin. =D
BE GOOD.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

:D Awesome man. I like this a lot. I agree with its assignment as a shaper ship too. :D more!
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

turret for midwife

Post by Fendorin »

Bonjour

i make a turret-design for star ship
but help me for transform this work in bfxmesh please
if you want my ship in game of course!

Mmmmm i create a simply turret with low def because my idée of game not a mega-3d-art just a funny game .(remenber atari game in 1991!!)

And i think vegastrike needs more ship for various scene.
For rich universe

i like a idée : a very populate and various universe with a lot of diplomatie and developpement.

( for future work, i will propose unarmed ship , terraformer,colonist,mining ship,medium transport, regular peopletransport,lander,salvage ship, utility ship, construction ship !!!

BUT finish current job!!
DivShare File - turretcer.wings
DivShare File - midwife_turret.mtl
DivShare File - midwife_turret.obj

Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

i remake the midwiffe
because when i see the current one in game : it need to new texture and new mesh (the current one is lowmeshing and ugly for be shaper) it can be reassigned to another faction maybe forsaken or pirate or maybe DGN transport(i think is a better solution to reassigned for DGN)

what do you think

then i remake mesh and texture and the final work is (i hope more close to the cultivator style: reactor pack is a style of big ship for shaper: see beside
and say me if it's a good colorway:
the new midwiffe is 2 k mesh and 2048 texture
i need to put more tag one this texture or not????
rivalin
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by rivalin »

Really nice ship :) , though the intensity of the red colour overpowers the silhouette a little, but that might just be the lighting.
Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Fireskull »

I have been looking at your many posts and models Fendorin, and I have to say your work is absolutely brilliant. We are very lucky to have you helping our community.
Phlogios
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Phlogios »

@rivalin: It's not the lighting, only; It's also the lack of ambient occlusion. This ship needs an AO bake.

Good model, although I must say that I don't like the ultra sharp edges below the roof, where the bridge or whatever (window stuff, ship center, top side) is.
"Enjoy the Choice" - A very wise man from Ottawa.
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

Yea, adding an Ambient Occlusion and Normal bake to this ship from a more detailed version (perhaps one just using subsurf) would make a great difference. Plus I think the VS code devs are about to make this a requirement for art submissions if they haven't already.

Do you know how to do this Fendorin? Chuck or myself can help you with this, but you'll need to get a copy of blender and read up a little on its basic interface, since Wings can't handle these procedures unfortunately.
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

deus siddis wrote : "Do you know how to do this Fendorin? Chuck or myself can help you with this, but you'll need to get a copy of blender and read up a little on its basic interface, since Wings can't handle these procedures unfortunately."

.No i don't know .

i will post the ship and the texture file too if it's necessary
after your comment maybe i will change the over colored texturing for a more grey one

i don't know how to make a bump map and Specularity and PPL map
Normap map ?? (maybe so new for me)
and OA map what is it exactly??? and what is the purpose of this map??
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

Fendorin, alot of these different textures are described by chuck on this wiki page:

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/ ... oToShaders
Fendorin wrote:i don't know how to make a bump map
It's really easy. You just paint in shades of gray, no color. The lighter the gray the more of a bump or ridge you will get there, the darker the gray the more of a dimple or groove you will get. You usually use a middle gray (50% value) for areas that are just flat.
and Specularity
Again, look at the wiki page I linked to. Near the bottom is a section called "Step by Step Tutorial" that describes how you make your diffuse and specular texture all in the same go. Tried it myself and the results look good in blender prerenders at least, should look good in VS realtime too.
and PPL map
I am not sure what that is. I haven't heard anyone around here mention it.
Normap map ?? (maybe so new for me)
This has the same function as a bump map, but it also gives you the ability to make your ship look super smooth (except for the silhouette) without adding more faces by eliminating gouraud shading artifacts. So it is very useful.
and OA map what is it exactly??? and what is the purpose of this map??
Ambient Occlusion is self-shadowing. What this means is that it makes areas of your ship that are surrounded by more geometry in the structure of that ship darker because these structures are shielding them from more of the ambient light in the environment. It adds alot of depth and realism to the look of the model. Alternatively, exaggerating this effect a little can make the ship look grittier and more dramatic (not that you'd necessarily want to go in that direction). Baking this map also saves you the trouble of having to paint shading into your texture by hand, which also doesn't even look as realistic.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

Excellent models, Fendorin. I like the new midwife design a lot. Actually I also like the red texture very much. It makes the ship look so MAJESTIC.

Re PPL, it's the previous name for Per-Pixel-Lighting map and was actually the specular map. For the new shaders you'll need a specular map and a shininess map. Hopefully with chucks progress on shaders, he'll be able to provide a materials library that will help you create those maps.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Propose a MIDWIFE Auxiliary Carrier

Post by pyramid »

Since the following posts were mainly meant to discuss a new design proposal, I have split from the following post into a new topic DUELIST or RAVEN
Ares
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Ares »

Loving the new design, Probably just coincedence, but i thought the original looked a BIT too similar to the MIDWAY class from WC. Does seem to fit the design theme a bit better but i have a really simple question: If it's a carrier - were's the flight bay? not modeled yet perhaps?
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

Ares you can't see the bay in a front of the ship?

i don't know what is the Midway but the name is quite closer also maybe the style is closer too

and normally if you look the artstyle guide the midwiffe is more an auxilliary carrier:

explanation of auxilliary:

since the second war the british transforme a lot of good merchant ship in auxilliary cruiser they put some gun on the ship and some metal plate too....

japanese do the same they transform some battleship in carrier

american transform some battleship in tiny carrier before launching the ship (when is still in shipyard)

so if this ship don't look like than a huge carrier is normal because is a auxilliary carrier
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

yes i saw it now.........?.........

is nice carrier very huge and little bit US 80' style , but maybe is the purpose of WC i don't now what is WC
Last edited by Fendorin on Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

And nothing. Just an informational clarification post.
Ares
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Ares »

Kinda see the flight bay, if i may however request a slight modification, the flight bay dosen't look anywere near as pronounced as it should be, i would make it twice or three times, as deep, or perhaps shallower and add, textured or mesh flight bay doors? i think that would add alot. otherwise i can't come up with any other critiques.
On second look the midway isn't too similar to your original i guess, there are still a number of interesting coincidences there though. lol
Phlogios
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Phlogios »

Ares: Since the shapers don't have any larger carriers according to UTCS lore, I think that the bay of this auxiliary carrier should remain small.
"Enjoy the Choice" - A very wise man from Ottawa.
Ares
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Ares »

either way.... great looking ship
Still feel the bay should be better defined though, either way.
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

Ares :
have a look to this page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auxilliary_cruiser
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q-ship
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merchant_aircraft_carrier
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAM_ship

is good for give you some idea and work on some concept
the realty is always more creative than some sci fi book