Pre-Alpha Multiplayer Deathmatch Server Online

Development directions, tasks, and features being actively implemented or pursued by the development team.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Pre-Alpha Multiplayer Deathmatch Server Online

Post by hellcatv »

The subject says it all... At long last, a deathmatch server is up and running, thanks to ace123's long summertime work to bring the networking code from a completely unusable state to where it is now :-)

Now...we've got to make this rock solid before even starting to port the MMO aspects of Vega Strike to the networking code-- and furthermore I'm going to need more interested coders to take this from its infancy into the MMO experience I've heard so many people yearn for. I'm hoping this can be a way to interest you all :-)

But baby steps, folks: I have a deathmatch server up and running.
I will need some dedicated folks to test it...
Testers: you have to have subversion access, and preferably you have linux, but I'll accept some windows users for this test as well to mix it up a bit.

step 0) check out and build a working version of vegastrike from subversion (for linux users do ./configure CXXFLAGS="-g3" ) windows users can just check out the data directory with the new binaries I put in, but it's much more useful for me if you build it in visual studio with debug info.
step 1) e-mail or ICQ me your interest and I will tell you where to register an account [4863215]
step 2) save the vegastrike.config that the webserver gives you (this will have the appropriate IP address and username/password for you) on top of your current vegastrike.config
step 3) launch vega strike (in linux do gdb /path/to/vegastrike, in windows just run the binary)
step 4) you can start chatting with ], and use enter to send, and enter twice to stop chatting.
step 5) fly around--

What's working:
guns, missiles, explosions, death, respawn
What will need some more months of development:
turrets, more than 1 star system
What will need years of development:
fully cohesive multiplayer online universe (though the code has been written with that end in mind)

Likely the game will be very laggy--right now we're more concerned with correctness than performance--i.e. making sure there are no game crashes, and especially server crashes...

But tracking performance is useful too, so we can build an expectation up about how much more development is needed.

So: write any bugs you experience here
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/ ... Deathmatch
On linux make sure to do backtrace full if you encounter a Segmentation fault... Windows users open up the callstack window in the Debug->Windows->Call Stack and write what you see in the wiki... lets try to make sure the wiki bug list doesn't get out of hand and that similar bugs appear in the same bullet point

Best of luck folks!
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Since I haven't had any trouble

Post by hellcatv »

Since I haven't had any troubles with the server thus far, I'm temporarily opening the registration system to the public.

Register at the following link and follow the above directions
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/register.html

I've fixed some lag bugs that mkruer, jacks and I saw--so hopefully things are a little smoother now...

remember... post any problems or bug reports to the wiki
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/ ... Deathmatch

Do NOT try this if you are expecting polished gameplay and continuous uptime... this is pre-alpha---I'm not even calling it an alpha because it doesn't deserve that title... If you like to judge games based on how they feel, skip this one :-)
If, on the other hand, you want to fly around and chat some online with your VS buddies and help us progress---well here's your chance :-)

Note if the server goes down and doesn't let you connect, don't fret...I'll bring it back online within 8 hours or so :-)

Eventually others can start running their own servers when it gets to that point
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
Sonic TH
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Sonic TH »

This is good news. I've been thinking about making a mod for vegastrike based on tachyon. The best part about tachyon was the multi-player modes, it could have 120 people in a team vs team style gameplay and 60 or so in death match gameplay. Was alot of fun, hope the multi-player aspect of VS is developed further.

Cheers
Nano_Lite
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Nano_Lite »

HELP!!!! I followed your instructions, but when I start it up, it goes into a window ominously placed with it's center in the lower right corner of my screen, then it simply crashes......good thing I made a backup of my origional config file :D
BE GOOD.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

First, you're using Subversion sources, right?

If so, the black window appearing and disappearing probably means that it failed to connect to the server..

To check why it failed, open up *both* stdout.txt and stderr.txt, located in the "bin" folder.

The lines at the end should indicate something bad. If you don't see anything, you can attach those two files to the forum.

You might also want to try going back to Setup, and making sure you have working options (fullscreen vs. windowed) with the new config file.
www2
Venturer
Venturer
Location: milkyway->the sol system->earth->Europe->The Nederland->Soud Holland->Leiden

Post by www2 »

@ace123
i think that the stanford server are offline
and i pm hellcatv about this
edit:
i hef talk to hellcatv on msn and he tell me that the main acount server are offline...
and i think come sone online...

and your can also try the spiritplumber can find at http://spiritplumber.tzo.com/cgi-bin/

www2
All Your Base Are Belong To Us
Nano_Lite
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Nano_Lite »

Uh, subversion?
BE GOOD.
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

Subversion is like CVS, only a bit better.

Windows users can use

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/

which makes life easyish.
My Moral Code:
- The only sin is to treat people as if they were things.
- Rules were made for people, not the other way around.
- Don't deceive. Real life is complicated enough.
- If all else fails, smash stuff.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

and if you are a *nixain KDESVN provides a nice gui for svn under linux

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Nano_Lite
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Nano_Lite »

Hmmm.....that's nice...but WHERE do I get the subversion thingy??
BE GOOD.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

that depends on which OS you run svn is usually installed by default on most current linux distros if not just use your distro's package manager.for XP just follow spirt's link and follow up with the How to in our wiki.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

@loki, I think he's asking where the subversion *repository* is, not what programs are needed to download it.

The appropriate Wiki page is:
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/ ... ws_Clients
It describes how to download Vega Strike from subversion.

Once you get that, you should have a binary that has network support.

However, don't get your hopes up about getting this to work... The network code is very experimental and unstable.

You might have to spend some time hacking at this to get it to connect... Also, make sure you are using the correct config file that you downloaded when you signed up for a user.

Good luck.
Nano_Lite
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Nano_Lite »

THANK YOU!!!!! :D I'll update later to tell you all how it worked out.
BE GOOD.
Dominos Muris
Trader
Trader

Post by Dominos Muris »

can my mac run the online server?
if so, PREPARE TO BE OWNED!! :twisted:
also, although I have SVN I dont know what it is or how to :oops:
KHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!
you blood sucker
what is greater than god, more evil than the devil, rich people don't want it, and the poor have it?
Pipin: FEK! FRODOO IS DEAD EGIN!
Sam: no Mr. frodo! No! don't leave me like this!
Ahnold: STOP WHINING!!!
Me:...pretty ring...
Frodo: ITS MINE!!!
Sam: YOUR ALIVE!!
Gandolf: NOOOOOOO! STAY DEAD! *blast of deadly magic*
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Yes, your MAC can in theory run a server. (hasn't been tested though...)

The problem is that you will have to compile it yourself using SVN. Also, the server is still in development right now, so it takes a little bit of work to get it running.

I would probably not recommend trying it unless you have some programming knowledge.
Dominos Muris
Trader
Trader

Post by Dominos Muris »

and i dont so I wont,

do you guys know when this might
KHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!
you blood sucker
what is greater than god, more evil than the devil, rich people don't want it, and the poor have it?
Pipin: FEK! FRODOO IS DEAD EGIN!
Sam: no Mr. frodo! No! don't leave me like this!
Ahnold: STOP WHINING!!!
Me:...pretty ring...
Frodo: ITS MINE!!!
Sam: YOUR ALIVE!!
Gandolf: NOOOOOOO! STAY DEAD! *blast of deadly magic*
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

I'm planning on getting multiplayer finished over the summer (hopefully with an accompanying VS release).
www2
Venturer
Venturer
Location: milkyway->the sol system->earth->Europe->The Nederland->Soud Holland->Leiden

Post by www2 »

@ace123
This is good news!
I Think foces for the 0.5.0 or 0.6.0 is a database the world manger than ouwer curent system ;)
Like how is done in planeshift.
All Your Base Are Belong To Us