Cargo from destroyed ships

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
BurninLeo
Trader
Trader

Cargo from destroyed ships

Post by BurninLeo »

Hello!

Seems I am in a mood of knowing better today. Sorry, I know what an every growing to-do-list feels like...

I just read a thred about some goddard crashing the game by blowing up a freighter. A cloud of crates suddenly appeared.

What I wounder: Why must each peace of cargo be stored in a single crate? At least cargo of the same kind (e.g. 100 water) would be packaged in one container by usual (I think VS puts each in a single crate?). But even different weapons could lie next to each other in one crate. This would make piracy easier :)

What do think about that?

Btw: Why do the uln's mules always carry so few cargo? If I pick up everything such a ship drops when destroyed, it is worth only a few hundret bugs.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Re: Cargo from destroyed ships

Post by klauss »

BurninLeo wrote:Btw: Why do the uln's mules always carry so few cargo? If I pick up everything such a ship drops when destroyed, it is worth only a few hundret bugs.
Because you rob the poor (uln) to give to the rich (you)?
jk :D
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

I agree with BurninLeo. I think there should really be better pickings when doing a bit of robin hood stuff.

:roll:
I don't want to be just a trader, or a bounty hunter, or an explorer, I WANT TO BE A PIRATE :twisted:
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
Cassandros
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Cassandros »

I WANT TO BE A PIRATE Twisted Evil
Ditto! :D
I'm gonna put a sign on my door - "I'm here for the beer and bitches"
Shark
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Shark »

Consider how goods are packaged and delivered in the real world: they're packed into boxes, which are loaded onto palettes, which are loaded into large, steel containers, which are loaded onto ships.
prolog
Hunter
Hunter

Post by prolog »

Right. The problem arises when simulating hundreds and hundreds of these flying through space, simulataneously, on today's meagre computers. ;)
Current rig: Refurbished Robin
vegavest
Merchant
Merchant

Post by vegavest »

but when i blow up a ship i cant see any crates or debris of a ship
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Oneof two things:

1.not on the roadmap atm, i.e. it's intended that way

2.it's too difficult and might have been tried once but was too buggy
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
rkutai
Trader
Trader

Post by rkutai »

Greetings from space...

I think I quite agree with prolog, suppose let say I managed
to blow up a huge capship with my Dodo (I did once, by accident)
suppose that capship happens to carry say some thousand or more
say coffee, or protocol robots. now to tractor that many one by one,
gees, it'll be boring after tractoring like five minutes of gaming time.
It'll be worse if those who happen to hate u start throwing rocks at u.

Besides, the game would really crawl, eg try going to a thick asteriod field
my machine crawled and I thought I was about to do the Matrix

The current game play I think may not be realistic but then again this
is a game. But I'd much prefer if one can buy plenty of cargos from planets
or stations rather than just one or two of something. It took me ages to be
able to upgrade my Dodo. 7mil for overdrive xv?

I need to go now and smuggle more specialty wine or do some "buy cheap
sell really high"

Gasp! 7mil!
"Activate defense grid, launch all starfuries, and if they move, shoot them.
If they don't move, shoot twice. They're probably hiding something."
-- Lt. Corwin in Babylon 5:"The River of Souls"
vegavest
Merchant
Merchant

Post by vegavest »

i know this is totally off topic, but what is so good abou a dodo? start off with no guns u gotta spend a fortune just to make it space worthy when u could just buy a rlaan fighter with real good weps and agility
... just don't eat it!
forlarren
Merchant
Merchant

Post by forlarren »

Why even bother with crates? I would very much prefer if instead of crates exploding out of the ship instead you had to dock with the now destroyed but mostly whole hulk and had a salvage menu. The amount of time to salvage would vary depending on if you had salvage robots, their quality, and or salvage lasers/tractor system and its quality. If you have the cargo room even the entire hulk could be salvaged for scrap. Pirate bases could also scrap a hulk that you tow in with a tractor for a fee.
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

forlarren wrote:Why even bother with crates? I would very much prefer if instead of crates exploding out of the ship instead you had to dock with the now destroyed but mostly whole hulk and had a salvage menu. The amount of time to salvage would vary depending on if you had salvage robots, their quality, and or salvage lasers/tractor system and its quality. If you have the cargo room even the entire hulk could be salvaged for scrap. Pirate bases could also scrap a hulk that you tow in with a tractor for a fee.
Yes ++this ++lots very very good idea. Please oh please do this - grabbing crap out of space is done wrong in almost all space games; this is how it should be done.
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
Boaal
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Boaal »

My problem is that Ilm too attached to my beloved cannons and weapons on my hyena to store a tractor beam so I end up leaving the cargo out..
Shissui
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Shissui »

@Boaal: you should support forlarren's idea then --

If this idea were implemented, you would dock with the wreck & start salvage just like my milspec dodo. BUT, because my milspec dodo is loaded with heavy tractors & your hyena has nothing of the sort, my dodo will recover more &/or faster &/or more efficiently (read: better choices available) from all possible loot.

I.e.: you should still get *something* this way. (How much you get, of course, would need to be calibrated some other day.)
I want to live in Theory. Everything works in Theory.
Sunfire
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Sunfire »

*trips over the mat stumbiling his way back to the site*

*"woah... havent been here in awhile..."*

*wipes dirt off compy*

HOLY CRAP!!! :shock: what a good idea forlarren!!

dude... that has got to be one thing i would LOVE to see in the game...

atleast for capships... capship recycling! junkyards! pirate bases! secret stashes!
Rabiator
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Rabiator »

forlarren wrote:Why even bother with crates? I would very much prefer if instead of crates exploding out of the ship instead you had to dock with the now destroyed but mostly whole hulk and had a salvage menu. The amount of time to salvage would vary depending on if you had salvage robots, their quality, and or salvage lasers/tractor system and its quality. If you have the cargo room even the entire hulk could be salvaged for scrap. Pirate bases could also scrap a hulk that you tow in with a tractor for a fee.
Good idea, and it could be implemented in stages so not all the work has to be done at once.

Stage 1:
You dock with the wreck and find some cargo that you can simply transfer to your own cargo hold. Similar to buying stuff in a station, but you don't pay anything :D

Stage 2:
With additional equipment, you can retrieve some of the destroyed ship's equipment. Think disassembly robots that unmount that expensive gun from the wreck...
Not sure about the best GUI design for this, however.

Stage 3:
The disassembly robots can cut up the ship for you, and load it into your cargo hold as scrap. This one might be a lot of work to implement properly (The graphics should show the wreck in various stages of disassembly), so Forlarren's alternate idea of towing the whole wreck to a station might be better.
Fart_Plume
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Fart_Plume »

Ilke the salvage idea, you could buy robot arms equipped with plasma cutters to cut the ship apart, mounting them in a turret slot. and use a gripper to load the pieces and cargo on board your ship.
System Gigabyte x48-dq6, q600 oc'd 3.6ghz, 4gb ocz reapers,BFG 8800gts 512mb oc, pcp&c 750 quad psu, 2 seagate 7200.1 sata hds in mirror raid. Watercooled.