HUD Stuff

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

Accu-Accelerated
Hunter
Hunter

HUD Stuff

Post by Accu-Accelerated »

I think that the current HUD is okay, but some of it looks wierd (like the crosshairs in the middle, radar, and the energy indicators and the "idiot lights" that warn you about missiles). How do you change it? (I'm thinking of making a few of my own replacements). I've found a few in textures/cockpit, but I can't find the rest!

And is is possible for stuff on the radar to actually show up as circular dots instead of those tiny 1-pixel points?
pontiac
Elite
Elite
Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Re: HUD Stuff

Post by pontiac »

Accu-Accelerated wrote:I think that the current HUD is okay, but some of it looks wierd (like the crosshairs in the middle, radar, and the energy indicators and the "idiot lights" that warn you about missiles). How do you change it? (I'm thinking of making a few of my own replacements). I've found a few in textures/cockpit, but I can't find the rest!

And is is possible for stuff on the radar to actually show up as circular dots instead of those tiny 1-pixel points?
Right now the crosshair, the radar-circles and the dots within are drawn by the engine as vectors and there are no source grphics.
It is however possible to replace the radar circles and the crosshair with custom bitmaps.

See HowTo:Edit HUDs (search for crosshair)

Pontiac
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Well, I have already redone the power and warning lights.
I think I have them somewhere...

http://www.deeplayer.com/claudio/vegast ... e_diff.tgz

Ignore everything but textures/cockpit and cockpit/*

(this patch has already been applied to the CVS, except for the cockpit fixes, and I don't know why).

As for the rest, crosshair and radar circle are being drawn by the engine in VegaStrike. To see how can you use bitmaps instead of those odd-looking things, take a look at the privateer mod.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
pontiac
Elite
Elite
Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Post by pontiac »

I've already made a similar approach, but the ECM/LOCK/MLOCK light's are sill missing in my HUD mockup. Maybe i'll find some time tomorrow.

All these images are based on layers and the colors are really easy to change (borders and glow independent).
So if we get gauges with different stages sometime i'll just save them again in a different state.

Pontiac
Accu-Accelerated
Hunter
Hunter

Thanks

Thanks for the help, guys! Now I've gotten the energy bars done and in-game, and tomorrow I'll start working on the radar. Oh yeah pontiac- nice work there. I like the new default planet look, but it would be cool if there was a picture of a Bio Diverse planet in the HUD for a BioDiverse one, a picture of and Arid planet in the hud indicating an Arid planet, and so on. (Like in the privateer mod). And also, could the planets be round instead of weird ovals (like in the privateer mod) ?

Edit: I'm happy that we are finally giving an overhaul to that old HUD. :lol:
pontiac
Elite
Elite

Re: Thanks

Post by pontiac »

Yeah, i've tought about different images as well, but had no time to come up with something goodlooking (the one planet image above is NO screenshot, but a texture wrap ;) ) ... so i'll just try to capture some good looking planets sometime.

The oval planet display is a problem when putting the sprites into the game since the screen is then scaled in a 1:0.75 (?) ratio (or better: "to the physical screen size") as far as i know. I tried to fix this with the scaling parameters, but i may have screwed up ... or not.

Pontiac

PS: One new crosshair coming up here.
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by Silverain »

<suggestion>

Would it be worthwhile having multiple sets of cockpit indicators? A little while back I sent hellcatv a set with the power icons as increasing triangles - so the HUD had a different look. My comment is from the POV of different ship cockpits having different indicator appearances. Mainly being different component builders with different designs for the same job.
THOUGHT CRIME! [points finger] THOUGHT CRIME!
pontiac
Elite
Elite

Post by pontiac »

Silverain wrote:<suggestion>

Would it be worthwhile having multiple sets of cockpit indicators? A little while back I sent hellcatv a set with the power icons as increasing triangles - so the HUD had a different look. My comment is from the POV of different ship cockpits having different indicator appearances. Mainly being different component builders with different designs for the same job.
My POV on this:

I would imagine that in the future you choose your own HUD interface (species dependent) so there may even be a standard one from the different species/factions (this means a small fighter has nearly the same HUD as a big freightter used by the same species)..
It's a 'Projection' from the outside anyway most of the time (no glasslike thing.. too inefficient).

But yes, it would be really cool having different HUDs for differenc species AND ships... it's just a matter of work. (maybe with a default cockpit per species to fall back if you do not like the ship-specifiy one... similar to the [F1]-key now)

If JackS could comment on the design styles for the different (species) HUDs (used shapes, numbers (used number schemes are already mentioned in the Species section in the wiki), colors, etc...) we could come up with something and then discuss what could be made better/different.

Another 2c
Pontiac
Accu-Accelerated
Hunter
Hunter

Hud

I made some new images for the radar/crosshair, etc. but I'm still at a loss about how to get it in the game. I read the thing in the Wiki, took a look at the Privateer mod, and I experimented a bit, but the only things I've gotten working the the game are the new energy bars I made. :(

P.S. Is it possible to make the radar sweep around or pulse to give it an animated effect?
pontiac
Elite
Elite

Re: Hud

Post by pontiac »

Accu-Accelerated wrote:I made some new images for the radar/crosshair, etc. but I'm still at a loss about how to get it in the game. I read the thing in the Wiki, took a look at the Privateer mod, and I experimented a bit, but the only things I've gotten working the the game are the new energy bars I made. :(
You need to change a line in the vegastrike.config file to get crossheirs to work. See HowTo:Edit HUDs -> XML Schema (search for crosshair) to see what needs to be done.

There is a way for radar as well, but i don't know what exactly. If anybody knows please post it here... we'll add it to the wiki then.
P.S. Is it possible to make the radar sweep around or pulse to give it an animated effect?
Not yet, see the thread [Question/Request] Animated sprites and gauges ... about animations and gauges with diffrerent images for percentages.
Accu-Accelerated
Hunter
Hunter

Hud Stuff

Thanks! I got my new crosshair working!

Now all I need to do is find a way to put the radar in!
Accu-Accelerated
Hunter
Hunter

HUD Work Done!

I've tested my crosshairs and energy bars in-game!

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/galle ... Art/newhud

If anyone needs the files, post and I'll try to get it up.

Also, I couldn't figure out how to get the radar in-game, but I have made the images for it.