Wings 3D xmesh export not working

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

imbaczek
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Wings 3D xmesh export not working

Post by imbaczek »

Hi all.

I wanted to experiment with some modelling and got my hands on wings 3d. I first modelled a small fighter, then installed the plugin (version 1.4a0) and it won't export. I've made an UV map (uvmapper sees it), so I don't know what could be the reason, as the error message isn't really helpful (it just says that the exporter crashed and some rather obscure data.)

I also tried exporting to obj and using obj_conv.pl, but this doesn't work for me either (bails on syntax error, I'm using Perl 5.8.3); objconv.exe (aka mesher.exe as it identifies itself) also doesn't work (tells me it doesn't know about OBJ functions yet.)

I'm using the latest stable wings (0.98.26) on Windows XP.
MamiyaOtaru
Privateer

Post by MamiyaOtaru »

Do you have a config subfolder in the folder with the wings project file? That folder should contain a file called config.txt - Without it the exporter won't work.

It's something you have to make yourself (in a readme somewhere I'm sure). Someone can explain it if you need it.

If you do have it already, the obscure error message won't be as obscure to someone else, so go ahead and post it :)
imbaczek
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by imbaczek »

Just thought about that, and in fact the test data that comes with the plugin don't work. There is no message in the console, and I didn't feel like taking a screenshot; but since test data doesn't work, here goes. (I copied all the contents of xmesh_test_data to another folder, as you can see. config/* is there.)

jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Re: Wings 3D xmesh export not working

Post by jackS »

imbaczek wrote: I also tried exporting to obj and using obj_conv.pl, but this doesn't work for me either (bails on syntax error, I'm using Perl 5.8.3); objconv.exe (aka mesher.exe as it identifies itself) also doesn't work (tells me it doesn't know about OBJ functions yet.)
Sounds like you're using an old version of the mesher utility (because I know it handles .obj files). Do you know which version you're using? If you aren't sure, download http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/* ... xe?rev=1.6
and use that.
imbaczek
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by imbaczek »

Code: Select all

>mesher fighter1.obj fighter1.xmesh oxc
some OBJ functions not yet supported: - aborting
::thinking::

Code: Select all

>mesher fighter1.obj fighter1.bfoo obc
>mesher fighter1.bfoo fighter1.xmesh bxc
Ok, this seems to work. My only concern is if that's what I really want :)

So, will I be fine if I export my model to obj and then use the mesher to convert it to b-whatever and then use it or should I be aware of something?
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

we don't really use xmeshes directly for models anymore, as we've moved to BFXMs. Xmeshes, however are very useful for intermediate stage model development, as they are easier to edit.

If you're looking to give something to us to work with, then either Xmesh or BFXM is fine, as it's easy to move between them. If you just want to play around on your own, then Vegastrike can read both formats, but BFXM is preferable... actually, I think it might even be able to read OBJ too, but it tends to not come out quite right, and all the VS specific settings will be defaulted.