[Model] Mechanical arm

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

pontiac
Elite
Elite
Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

[Model] Mechanical arm

Post by pontiac »

While at work (just tell nobody ;) :roll: ) i made a small mechanical arm to assist cargo/supply ships and in hangars.
There are tractor and repulsor beams available, but i think this is the cheaper (and sometimes more flexible) way :)

Some Screens
- fully expanded
- in closed/waiting/travelling position
- helping me finally get the catfish-textures done 8) (big pic ~500kb) .. though the arm wasn't meant for the catfish... we will see :)

Models are available here (~160 polys):
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/users ... /mech_arm/

Pontiac

EDIT: added poly-count
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

looks pretty sweet
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
pontiac
Elite
Elite
Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Post by pontiac »

hellcatv wrote:looks pretty sweet
Thanks ... i was wondering, if the Vegastrike engine draws the backfaces of a transparent polygon (as seen in the first two screenshots ...taken in wings, haven't had a chance to see it in Vegastrike yet).
Or doesn't it fraw them as in the last big screenshot?
This seems to be a common behaviour in most 3d- applications that supports transparent textures :?

The last time i thought about this was when makeing the solar station (antenna + steelarms) . And i think it did some strange thing to transparent textures (show polygons clearly behind the transparent texture in front of it -> strange escher-feeling)

Pontiac
Bjornredtail
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Bjornredtail »

Perhaps that could be used also to allow capital ships to dock to smaller stations. Sortof like a jetway.
pontiac
Elite
Elite

Post by pontiac »

nevadacow wrote:Perhaps that could be used also to allow capital ships to dock to smaller stations. Sortof like a jetway.
That wouldn't work (not with the current model/style that is) since there is no passage you can walk trough :)
There are only the grids/beams/whatever (is there a good term for this?) and some powerlines.... the rest is 'empty' (as in nearly vacuum) space.

Pontiac
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

VS sometimes draws backfaces... by default it depends on the blend mode.... if you have additive (lights) clear polygons then it does
if you have glass (alpha) polygons then it does not..because the normals would be wrong--just draw one polygon for each side
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
pontiac
Elite
Elite

Post by pontiac »

hellcatv wrote:VS sometimes draws backfaces... by default it depends on the blend mode.... if you have additive (lights) clear polygons then it does
if you have glass (alpha) polygons then it does not..because the normals would be wrong--just draw one polygon for each side
Thanks, that's good to know.
It's no problem to make the 'inverted' faces, but just out of curiosity since you said "by default": Is there a way to force this behaviour?

Pontiac