Can't add new ship to the game.

Need help testing contributed art or code or having trouble getting your newest additions into game compatible format? Confused by changes to data formats? Reading through source and wondering what the developers were thinking when they wrote something? Need "how-to" style guidance for messing with VS internals? This is probably the right forum.
f1gm3nt3d
Trader
Trader

Can't add new ship to the game.

Post by f1gm3nt3d »

Can some one post some step by step directions for getting a new ship into the game? I'm doing a model and need to know how to get it in to make sure that all the different textures and such coincide. I'm using the latest precompiled windows cvs executable and even if I go and replace a ship (i.e. edit all the .blank .template .begin and the one with no extension) it -still- shows the old model, I did get the model to show up right with the dodo but when I edited the templates for the thruster locations (which cut the thrusters from two down to one thruster) both of the dodo's old thrusters still appeared in the place that they're suppoused to for the dodo and the settings I put in there were ignored. :cry: I actually tried doing this with the llama first but that just ran without showing any models or anything. Also I tried adding the ship first to the master parts list (xml -and- csv) and the faction_ships.py but it seemed not to make a difference. I remember that everything worked right in 4.1D and I had no problems doing any of these things, sooooo did something radically change or am I just being a dofus?
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

If you're using the current config file, the line in the DATA section
<var name="UnitCSV" value="../units.csv"/>
specifies that all unit values come from that specified file. Removing this line should allow you to proceed.

Alternatively, you could use the python script in the units dir to append your new definition to the units.csv file, and then, if you haven't given it a unique name (or are otherwise adding it in duplicate fashion), delete the old row in the csv file manually.

Post by guest »

Different person here, but I'm trying the same thing. I tried removing that line from vegastrike.confg, but stderr.txt (windows cvs build) says that it's loading it anyway. I tried removing the units.csv file from the data4.x/units directory, and I only ended up with all units not loading in the game. I also tried editing the csv file with MS excel (it saves csvs in text), but only ended up getting VS to hang on loading units.csv. :(

I was able to edit & add new ships to the last release w/o a problem, but all of this doubling and tripling of config-files in different formats is getting confusing, especially when their use is hard-coded despite meta-config options. Maybe it's time to choose one format and clean the unused files out?
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

guest wrote:I also tried editing the csv file with MS excel (it saves csvs in text), but only ended up getting VS to hang on loading units.csv. :(
I edit it with Excel without noted difficulty - which version of Excel are you using?

I was able to edit & add new ships to the last release w/o a problem, but all of this doubling and tripling of config-files in different formats is getting confusing, especially when their use is hard-coded despite meta-config options. Maybe it's time to choose one format and clean the unused files out?
Wasn't aware it'd been hard coded. We're moving over to .csv
xunit will become depricated.
ack2000
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by ack2000 »

if you modified the unit file you need to delete the csv under saved game otherwise it will use that data first.