Help converting starship models!

Discuss the Star Trek mod(s) for the Vega Strike Engine

Moderators: tillias, Jennos, peteyg

peteyg
Elite
Elite

Help converting starship models!

Post by peteyg »

Okay, not THAT desperate. But the amount of work required to get individual trek models from .obj to bfxm is somewhat daunting. It can take up to an hour to fully an cleanly convert a ship, and is generally not a lot of fun.

I do know that if this task is left to me alone, it will NEVER be done. So I'm going to ask for help.

If anyone wants to help me out with converting models (which the future of Vega Trek pretty much depends on), download the zip file of a Miranda class starship and follow the below directions. Feel free to Email me, PM me, IM me, or post at any time for help at any stage of the process

http://students.washington.edu/peteyg/Miranda.zip

Step by Step Instructions
In this zip you will find OBJ and MTL pairs for 3 models of the Miranda, at varying levels of detail. There will also be 3 texture directories.

1. Convert the textures.
Each of these texture files is a TGA file, with the normal texture stored in the regular channels, and the glow texture stored in the alpha channel.

Create the glow texture by putting a layer of black under the default texture... which should just display the glowy windows and lights against black. Save this as nameglow.jpg (where name is the base texture name, not the ship name).

Get the regular texture by blacking out the Alpha channel. Save this as name.jpg

Convert any 'specular' .tgas (should be black and white normal) to namePPL.jpg

2. Convert to Xmesh!
Download the official conversion command line utility here: http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... php?t=2406

Just follow the instructions in that main post to convert the model from OBJ to BFXM, and finally to XMESH. We do this because we can easily hand-edit the junk in the xmesh files.

We should have a bunch of xmesh files now. Replace from the top of the file to the </material> tag with this:

Code: Select all

<Mesh scale="1.000000" reverse="0" forcetexture="0" sharevert="0" polygonoffset="0.000000" texture="high/sv4.jpg" texture1="high/sv4PPL.jpg" texture2="high/sv4glow.jpg">
<Material power="0.781250" cullface="1" reflect="1" lighting="1" usenormals="0">
	<Ambient Red="0" Green="0" Blue="0" Alpha="1.000000"/>
	<Diffuse Red=".3" Green=".3" Blue=".3" Alpha="1.000000"/>
	<Emissive Red="0.000000" Green="0.000000" Blue="0.000000" Alpha="1.000000"/>
	<Specular Red="0" Green="0" Blue="0" Alpha="1.000000"/>
</Material>
Where sv4 is the name of the texture that the original file was looking for (sv4_glow.tga or something). These material settings are tweaked for maximum coolness in Vega Strike. Make sure you put the right directory in!

That's about it!!! Don't convert them to bfxm or anything... just zip them up and email me at peteyg ATz u DOTz washington DOTx edu

And make sure you post here if you are going to take the ship, so nobody is duplicating your effort!

I've got the Sovereign, the Jem Hadar attack ship, and another ship done, and am working on a starbase. Hopefully we'll be able to burn right through the ships I've got right now!
thekryptonian
Explorer
Explorer

I USE ONLY LINUX ...

Post by thekryptonian »

I guess I'm going to have to compile the conversion utilities from scratch. Wish there was a readme file on how to do this..
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

No! I think there's a Win32 compatible version floating around, somewhere. I shall explore this.
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

Jackpot! It's in CVS, in the data4.x/bin directory.

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/* ... xe?rev=1.4

This program will do the trick!
thekryptonian
Explorer
Explorer

Yes, BUT I USE LINUX.

Post by thekryptonian »

peteyg wrote:Jackpot! It's in CVS, in the data4.x/bin directory.

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/* ... xe?rev=1.4

This program will do the trick!
Unless this thing will run under WINE, I still have to compile from scratch. But others have done it, so I'm sure I can too.
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

it's not so bad. Just follow the cvs checkout / cvs compile Howto in the wiki.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised at all if it ran under wine. It's just a command line program that doesn't really do much fancy, or depend on anything special (that I know of).
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

ahh your'e on linux

it's easy to build on *LINUX* :-)

just do

in the mesher dir type
g++ -g -omesher *.cpp -lexpat

bingo that's it
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/