HIDALGO Luxury Yacht

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

Ares
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

HIDALGO Luxury Yacht

Post by Ares »

heh. I don't know if you want to put it in as a secret ship or not, but i'm gonna do a old-skool 'sailing' ship for VS that can be primarily a pirate vessel. It'll basicly be a pirate-only 'mule'. Only problem is, i'm TERRIBLE at texturing and i have no way to convert it to VS format. SO someone is gonna have to do the texturing and put it in VS format. I plan on doing several ships so anyone that could kinda agree to help me out with this stuff would be greatly appreceated.
PREFERABLY, contact me on AIM (Ares8642)
but E-mail would also be OK. (DNo8774371@aol.com)

My plan to make it fit into VS storyline is that some wealthy pirate faction contracted with the Rlaan (the rlan 'sails') to build them a ship. I'm just starting now so i don't have any pictures yet.... but i should have some by tonight.
Last edited by Ares on Mon Nov 03, 2003 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ares
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Ares »

Ok, ship's done. I just need someone that can texture it and put it in VS format. i can give it to you in 3DS format.
Hey, is 1139 to high a poly count for a almost-a-capship?
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

think you can post some screens?

and no, 1000 is a good poly count.
ATStriker
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

also

Post by ATStriker »

also, I think there need to be pirate bases in more systems (like one per 5 systems)
-"I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun. Go back to the Shadow. You cannot pass!"
FlyingAce
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by FlyingAce »

I was thinking that it would be more realistic for pirates to have small retired and/or dilapidated capships instead of bases. if a base is found, the pirates are dead meat. but a ship can constantly be on the move.
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

The pirates have a few systems on the fringes of civilized territory. The bases and planets in those systems would be pirate - owned.

But for operating very deep within anyone's territory, I would definately agree with Flying Ace. Some small, old carriers to fly off of, and a bunch of small secret bases.
pontiac
Elite
Elite
Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Post by pontiac »

FlyingAce wrote:I was thinking that it would be more realistic for pirates to have small retired and/or dilapidated capships instead of bases. if a base is found, the pirates are dead meat. but a ship can constantly be on the move.
Full ACK.

But IF they have bases then only in systems lightyears from anywhere hidden in a radar-blocking nebula or so ;-)

Pontiac

EDIT: damn, PeteyG was faster :lol:
Ares
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Ares »

Well, i need a website before i can get any pictures up. lol.
Anybody mind if i just mix-and-match pieces of textures from other ships to make ones for this? I'm TERRIBLE at textures otherwise.... THat's what i've beeen doing so far.
Front now with tex
untextured pic of the back.
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by Silverain »

The flatbed top with side wings would be a good hanger strip for fighters! :D Defending shields against side attack while launching!
THOUGHT CRIME! [points finger] THOUGHT CRIME!
ihatejacknjills
Trader
Trader

Post by ihatejacknjills »

nice looking ship
Ares
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Ares »

not big enough to be a carrier. i'll probably make one of those later. I'm just borrowing textures right now to make it look good, so someone may want to remedy that later. That indentation you see in the back of the main hull though will be a 'large' cargo bay. Just big enough to 'capture' a fighter... :twisted:
MamiyaOtaru
Privateer

Post by MamiyaOtaru »

nice mix of Treasure Planet/Kusari ships from Freelancer :) Really like it. Sorry I'm no good with textures
Ares
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Ares »

well i'm mix-matching textures from other ships onto it... they don't look that good. :( but it's better than nothing and still better than that grey..... THING that was going over the old ships. Hopefully someone will update it down the road.
I'm gonna need someone to convert the mesh to VS format soon, any takers?
FlyingAce
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by FlyingAce »

a few of those engine thingys are tessallated (they are made entirely of triangles instead of quadrillaterals) u could lower polycount if u felt like it by merging tris into quads
Ares
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Ares »

Everything's made entirely of triangles. The program i'm using to make it dosen't support quads.
THe ship is finished and textured now.... And i have to say for mixing and matching textures it came out looking pretty damn good! :shock:
I'll have pics in a min.
NOW I NEED SOMEONE TO CONVERT IT TO XMESH. Any takers?
I'll also need it scaled properly. I have no refrence point for VS meshes so the scale is probably WAAAAY off. The best way to describe the scale is the rear hangar bay should be JUST A BIT BIGGER than a Plowshare.
*EDIT*
Pictures.
now how do i go about setting up shield mesh and damage flash/tex? It looks like damage is just done as a brightened texture map, what do i set shields up as? All i have to do to the mesh is add 4 turret mounts on the sides. Other than that it's done. :D
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

how about save it as obj and download wings3d and use that converter to place weapons and export it...

I think you need to post the model online so I could at least send it to jacks and see what he can do about it--if you just post pix then there's a good chance your hard drive will randomly fail and we'll never get the model--as happened to us 4 times now :-(
we've lost at least 20 models that way ... it's a crying shame...had the pix--asked for the obj model and got nothing
feel free to copy it to a free sf.net user account and ask us to grab it from there
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
Ares
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Ares »

WOW, for a free 3D program this thing sure has alot of buttons..... :lol:
Anyone care to explain to me how this thing works? summary?
I imported my mesh to it and it looks like it messed with the top half of it and deleted some polygons.... i tried exporting it back out to reload in my 3D proggie but it won't even load in there (don't worry, i have it backed up in several places) I'm not sure how much i like this program so far. :?
pontiac
Elite
Elite
Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Post by pontiac »

That's one of the only problems there are with Wings3D right now.
See also http://pub161.ezboard.com/fnendowingsmi ... 1662.topic
Wings3D is really pick when importing from other 3d file formats.
The meshes need to be very clean (no holes in it) to be imported correctly.
Also get sure you don't use several materials onm one mesh or something.

For more information you may ask in the wings forum. they can sure help you on speciall problems.

Pontiac
Ares
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Ares »

Wings works in quads dosen't it? My mesh has no holes, but it's all in triangles.... i've worked with quads before and i like triangles better... For one, you can bend a quad so it won't render right, triangles can't do that.... any shape can be recreated.... Oh well. I'll just have to rebuild a bit of the mesh. Hopefully it'll take it THIS time. :evil:
pontiac
Elite
Elite

Post by pontiac »

Ares wrote:Wings works in quads dosen't it? My mesh has no holes, but it's all in triangles.... i've worked with quads before and i like triangles better...
No wings3d doenst work with quads. you can use whatevr polygon type you want.
As i said, it is really picky about the imported mesh.
One thing i forgot to mention: the imprioted mesh has to be a closed volume shape (no holes, to space between faces, etc...).

But maybe you can try saving the mesh as another file format wings can read and try again :?

Pontiac
Ares
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Ares »

I see a link to a Xmesh plugin in your sig..... how good is that? cuz i'd prefer to be able to put it in VS and tweak it myself. That also gives me the oppertunity to look at VS meshes to see how i can mimic them so MAYBE i can make this thing cooperate.

BTW, as irony may have it my comp just acted up.... it rebooted itself. heh. mesh is safe though. wich reminds me, there's quite a few other things i might need to backup if shit happens. :?
Ares
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Ares »

:D We're cookin' now. I've FINALLY got the mesh so wings dosen't complain, i can import it and export it as 3DS and i used the plowshare to get the scale right.... now, how do i set turret locations? and get it to export to XMESH? nothing shows up.
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

read the wiki ;) all informations about configuring the export are explained.
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/phpwiki
I see dead polygons....
pontiac
Elite
Elite

Post by pontiac »

To be more specifiy you need to read this two sites:
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/phpwi ... stallWings
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/phpwi ... ShipsWings

Also please read the sample configuration files in your wings directory (they are in .../yourwings3ddirectory/lib/wings-0.xx.xx/plugins/xmesh/xmesh_sample_data)
They are installed with the xmesh plugin.

If you have any problems with the plugin just ask.

Pontiac
Ares
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Ares »

thanks. :wink: most of that i already found. i figured out how to place mounts... 'Wings' is pretty cool once you play with it. I don't think i'd wanna do a mesh from scratch in it though.