How can i disable reflections?

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
Major
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

How can i disable reflections?

Post by Major »

In a old version of the setup i was able to change some lightning details, but now i cannot disable the reflections

I looked in the vegastrike.config but i didn´t found the correct entry.
Any ideas?
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

It's probably in there somewhere.

But you'd be best off adding a specular map for Per Pixel Lighting.

texture1="shiptexturePPL.jpg" or something.

The jpg should be based on your main texture. Play around with it. I suggest converting it to black and white, and jacking up the contrast for starters.

White areas will reflect, black areas will not, and grey areas will reflect a little bit, depending on how grey they are. All black will reflect not at all, all white will reflect like you've got right now.

An effective spec map is QUITE wonderful for a model.

EDIT: Hey, wait. That's a model from the 4.x data set. I'm actually doing the spec maps for the 4.x release. I thought it was a custom ship at first. : )
pontiac
Elite
Elite
Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Post by pontiac »

In the VS-wiki there is something about reflectivity:
http://www.joeredcloud.com/kandarwiki/i ... nualConfig
(under Grafic Settings)

Unfortunately there isn't much about where to put it and if it works with the newest version.

Pontiac
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

You forgave per pixel lightening: just had, as reflcetion map, a totallly black picture, it will solve your problem ( a simple jpg sized around 10*10 pixels should be enough)
I see dead polygons....
FlyingAce
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by FlyingAce »

or u could go under the materials tag in the xmesh file and change reflection to 0
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

etheral walker wrote:You forgave per pixel lightening: just had, as reflcetion map, a totallly black picture, it will solve your problem ( a simple jpg sized around 10*10 pixels should be enough)
Just to make sure that no complaining gets done about specmaps not working, etc., if you want it completely black, use a small power of two (such as 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32) and fill it with black or a dark shade of grey
pontiac
Elite
Elite
Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Post by pontiac »

@Major: I think you want to disable it for the whole game and not only for one ship. If so there should be a possibility in the vegastrike.config to set it off.
What exactly did you change in the old release to disable lightning?
It may also be a bug and don't work in the newest release (developers?).

Pontiac
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

pontiac wrote:@Major: I think you want to disable it for the whole game and not only for one ship. If so there should be a possibility in the vegastrike.config to set it off.
What exactly did you change in the old release to disable lightning?
It may also be a bug and don't work in the newest release (developers?).

Pontiac
as far as I know you can turn off reflections using the config program (on win or linux).....

else, there is a variable somewhere in the config that you could turn off.....I can't get to it at the moment so sorry I can't be more specific....but it does work cause I do it sometimes...

Dan.a
Non Compos Mentis
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Non Compos Mentis »

I've been using mesher to convert obj into bfxm and it works great. However, the models in-game are far more reflective then I want them to be. Do I need to convert the bfxm into xmesh then back to bfxm to fix this or is there a way to do it with the original obj? I'm using Milkshape 1.7.2.

Thanks for any help on this.
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

I always go to xmesh from obj, and take a good look at the material settings on each xmesh before I pack them up into bfxm. I don't really trust the obj I am working with to have decent material settings that will be preserved during the conversion.