Hunter
Hunter

Linux installer errors and woes

Post by drinkypoo »

I just installed the latest on Ubuntu Feisty and got some errors:

loki_setup: 2 Unable to find file 'setup.base.xml' in '/tmp/selfgz28094'
loki_setup: 2 Unable to find file 'setup.music.xml' in '/tmp/selfgz28094'
loki_setup: 2 Unable to find file 'vslogo.xpm' in '/tmp/selfgz28094'

Also the installer does not create icons and never terminates. It's just sitting there doing nothing (no load, no disk activity.) I cannot ^C and if I ^\ then I get a crapload of GTK errors (as do I if I do ANYTHING with the installer interface but just click install.)

I also had to link /etc/timidity/timidity.cfg to /etc/timidity.cfg to avoid another error.

Further, the application does not install all of its dependencies. I had to install the 'libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2' to use configuration (though not to run the game itself.) Why use an installer in this case?

drink@agamemnon:/usr/local/games/privateer$ privateer --setup
/usr/local/games/privateer/bin/setup: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I guess only setup needs this file.

As a followup question, if you already have vega strike 0.4.3 on your system, do you need the redundancy? Or have privateer remake-specific changes been made to the executable as well? I'd love to see the game end up as a .deb package someday so that I don't have to deal with the loki installer. If all you needed was data files this would be pretty easy.
drinkypoo
Hunter
Hunter

Re: Linux installer errors and woes

Post by drinkypoo »

[quote="drinkypoo"]
Also the installer does not create icons and never terminates.
[/quote]

Hmm, I lied. It continues after about fifteen minutes of doing nothing, and brings up the final dialog from which I can quit. But it still doesn't make any icons (probably because of the missing xpm file for the actual icon.)
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

@drinkypoo i do believe that you can use your vegastrike 0.4.3 install for PR check the lay out from the loki installer (:wink: no i didn't write it) and duplicate it in the vegastrike tree if i remember correctly it is just a matter off populating the mod folder.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
drinkypoo
Hunter
Hunter

Post by drinkypoo »

loki1950 wrote:@drinkypoo i do believe that you can use your vegastrike 0.4.3 install for PR check the lay out from the loki installer ... and duplicate it in the vegastrike tree if i remember correctly it is just a matter off populating the mod folder.
Very nice. I've never made a deb before (though I have a guide or two) but maybe I'll make one that depends on vegastrike. Might be fun. If the executable is the same then just making some links from the exes to the new data dir might be the best way to go.

I just got hold of a big long list of linux games, but I was making my own before that anyway. I'm working on some articles on linux games, and I've been writing some howtos etc. Someday I'll even re-up my website from my local copy (I've made major changes in versions etc so it's not a trivial merge at this point) and then that stuff will even be online :P