Another problem, and some questions

Forum For Privateer Remake
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Another problem, and some questions

Post by Miramor »

Okay, I got the game installed, but the starting cutscene is godawful slow, and the music skips like nobody's business. Any hints?

Related to this... I noticed that the installer wanted me to have timidity++ installed, so I installed that (and a nice soundfont). But all the midis in the music dir seem to have equivalent ogg files, and there are in fact oggs that don't have a midi equivalent. The oggs obviously sound better, so... should I get rid of timidity to force the game to use them? Or would that screw the game up? Does Privateer Remake 1.2 have ALSA support so that it can proper mixing can actually be done?

And finally... Is Burrow's awful whiny voice from the original game? :shock:

(BTW, the music is great...)
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Okay, I got the game installed, but the starting cutscene is godawful slow, and the music skips like nobody's business. Any hints?
Try installing the newest release of your video card drivers, that's fixing 99% of all slowness issues.
And finally... Is Burrow's awful whiny voice from the original game?
:) Sure...
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

Current release is the newest. The game isn't actually slow - the cursor moves fine, etc. - the movie just moves frame by frame and the sound kind of stutters in sync with it.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

The movie is not mpeg or anything like that; it's more like a gazillion images strung together, so it can be taxing on some machines.
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

... Ow. That's how you do all the cutscenes? Why not make the images into an mpeg file and have the game play it, engine limitations? :shock:

(If it's taxing for a modern system like mine, even relatively low-end, I don't want to know what it does to some obsolescent Pentium 4 desktop...)
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Adding mpeg support has been in the to-do list for quite a while. ;-)
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

Okay, I get the low framerate thing... Looking at the animations at bases it looks like a feature, not a bug. Sorry, folks

Unfortunately, the audio continues to stutter, and, weirdly enough, echo - I hear some sounds repeat several times when they shouldn't. Any clues...?

(Also, are the pirates supposed to speak out loud when they taunt me? Because I ain't hearing it.)
Jeff2121
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Jeff2121 »

Hmmm...Echo...check your speakers for demons, and if you don't know how...

1. Get a Preist, preferably a Vatican or Catholic one

2. Have him excise your speakers/computer, if you hear unholy screams, you found one

3. Sprikle Holy Water liberally, if smoke appears, the demon is going away :P

Okay seriously, try updating your sound drivers, that might help :?
My Dream Machine (Soon to Be):

Kingston 4GB DDR2 RAM
Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 Quad Core
Nvidia Geforce 8800GTX
320GB SATA HDD (Raid 0)
SoundBlaster X-Fi Fatal1ty
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

Sound drivers = latest ALSA release. Don't get echo with anything else. :?
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

I'd say you probably got one soundserver thread too many running.
What happened to me this past two hours was kind of weird. I started at Oxford, but from there I went to many places, but the oxford music kept playing in the background, all the time. When I finally quit playing, I saw another vegastrike button in my task bar. I clicked on it and it was another copy of vegastrike still at oxford...
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

Ah, I'll have to check that out. How would I prevent extraneous threads from starting with a single session of the game?
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

What's happened to me at times was that after a crash of the main executable, the soundservers were still running, and I'd kill them manually through the task manager. I never had your problem of echos, but if I did, what I'd check first of all is the task manager (ctrl-alt-del), and see if there are too many soundservers there.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

You might also have firewall problems. Soundserver connects to itself and therefor passes the firewall. XP users usually get a message then where you can set to always allow or always refuse access. You should always give access for it.

Also, you might be using xp-antispy and therefor have disabled such messages, so xpas prevents you from making the decision personally, and automatically blocks.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Miramor uses linux Dilloh :wink: the firewall thing has never been a issue under linux but multi copies of the soundserver are a possibility.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

Using Arch Linux, not WinXP. Not sure about the firewall thing, though I don't think it should be an issue as I haven't bothered to set up iptables. :oops:
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

:roll: Oops... I apologize guys...
drinkypoo
Hunter
Hunter

I have the same choking problem

Post by drinkypoo »

I have a compaq nw9440 (core duo T2600, nvidia quadro fx1500 256MB, 2GB memory...) and I am running Ubuntu Feisty with the latest nvidia drivers. If this much machine can't process some low-res still images and an audio track, there's something wrong.

It happened the first time I started the game, so it oughtn't to be an audio server problem. And if it is, why on earth does the game (or whatever launches it) not check to see if there is one already started?