a list of ships to buy ?

Forum For Privateer Remake
Voyager
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Voyager »

I was more reffering to the unexpected accuracy of the first poster title "Atmospheric Pilot", when most of my gaming time is spent playing air combat sims, of which Il-2 Stumovik is a WWII flight sim, focused around the very low level (mostly tree-top) air-war of the Eastern Europe front.

Harry Voyager
OnyxPaladin
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by OnyxPaladin »

micheal_andreas_stahl wrote:Well, A moderately equiped Cent would be better than an Orion. A poorly equiped Demon flown well would beat the pants of them all.
A Gothri flown well is at least an even match for a demon.
For every ounce of courage, every drope of hope..
A gallon of blood paid in advance...
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by z30 »

OnyxPaladin wrote:
micheal_andreas_stahl wrote:Well, A moderately equiped Cent would be better than an Orion. A poorly equiped Demon flown well would beat the pants of them all.
Same top speed , more shields, turret, nimble as a light fighter , more guns, missiles - I'd say it would be more than a match.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

Hmmm, but still i last longer in a Demon. I have flown it all my playing life.

The Gothri has better guns to. But the Demon is a Light Fighter Light Bomber.
"The bullets come out of the slim end, mate!"

Sniper after dominating another Sniper
Team Fortress 2
OnyxPaladin
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by OnyxPaladin »

z30 wrote:Same top speed , more shields, turret, nimble as a light fighter , more guns, missiles - I'd say it would be more than a match.
Precisely why i said it's at least an even match. Except of course the Gothri can't use torpedoes.
micheal_andreas_stahl wrote:Hmmm, but still i last longer in a Demon. I have flown it all my playing life.

The Gothri has better guns to. But the Demon is a Light Fighter Light Bomber.
Hmm, perhaps a different flying style? I fly like a complete psycho. Since you've been flying a demon so long, the little nuances and perks, etc of the ship are probably second nature to you. Which can make it difficult to fly a different ship.

It would be an interesting dogfight between the two of us, i'm sure.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

OnyxPaladin wrote:Hmm, perhaps a different flying style? I fly like a complete psycho. Since you've been flying a demon so long, the little nuances and perks, etc of the ship are probably second nature to you. Which can make it difficult to fly a different ship.

It would be an interesting dogfight between the two of us, i'm sure.
With the demon you have to be quick. you can't sit in front of a ship and you can't hang around next to a ship. The shield is to weak, though, thanks to it insane manuverablity you can dodge some projectile.
"The bullets come out of the slim end, mate!"

Sniper after dominating another Sniper
Team Fortress 2
Voyager
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Voyager »

OnyxPaladin wrote:
Yes, but, I somewhat doubt either the Gothri or the Demon are readily available early game.

For refference, I'm talking about skipping directly from the Tarsus to the Centurion, bypassing the Orion entirely, and trying for a, pretty much mercenary run.

Harry Voyager
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Well, the Demon is absolutely superior - if there were no autotrackers. Sitting in a Gothri, you shoot your four guns at a Talon and only two gun bolts hit it.

Talking about fully kitted ships, go for the Centurion.
OnyxPaladin
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by OnyxPaladin »

I've flown a Gothri without autotracking more than once, the bolts converge. I don't recall stray bolts being any real problem for me.
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by z30 »

micheal_andreas_stahl wrote:
With the demon you have to be quick. you can't sit in front of a ship and you can't hang around next to a ship. The shield is to weak, though, thanks to it insane manuverablity you can dodge some projectile.
This is going to take a little more effort in the new basemod, the HS missiles specially turn very fast. Things like these are the stuff I'd like to see players test out.
Anscar
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Anscar »

So where exactly do you find the Talon? Near the top of this thread, someone said it becomes available after you finish the Tayla missions, but, so far, I've not seen it. Should I just keep checking the "upgrades" at each ship dealer? Is it available randomly or only at specific locations? So far, the only new ships I've seen available are Kilrathi at that obscure location. :wink:
Anscar
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Anscar »

I finished the Oxford missions and two new ships became available there.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

So where exactly do you find the Talon? Near the top of this thread, someone said it becomes available after you finish the Tayla missions, but, so far, I've not seen it. Should I just keep checking the "upgrades" at each ship dealer? Is it available randomly or only at specific locations?
Special ships usually pop up after campaign missions, so every time you finished one guy's set of campaign missions instantly check the upgrades dealer, buy what you want, and then save. The Talon is one weird exception for it appears when you're sitting on a mining base, where there is no ship dealer, so you cannot buy one, but there is a cargo dealer, so you could put one into your cargo room, but you'd need a capship for that, which you do not have at this point of the game :roll: Consider it a bug. You can tractor in a Talon later when you got a c(r)apship.