Compile failish

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
Eye~R
Hunter
Hunter

Compile failish

Post by Eye~R »

'ello,

Thought I'd stop by, see how things is getting on... Hit up your github and grabbed the latest engine... Following published build instructions resulted in:

[eyer@UNKNOWN script]$ ./build.sh
-----------------------------
--- build.sh | 2020-08-17 ---
-----------------------------
CMake Error: The source directory "/home/eyer/Downloads/Vega-Strike-Engine-Source-master/script/engine" does not exist.
Specify --help for usage, or press the help button on the CMake GUI.

Poking the build.sh I see:

# @usage: ./script/build.sh

Might wanna update your instructions to reflect the build.sh should be run from outside the /script folder, in the 'Vega-Strike-Engine-Source-master' folder.

Taking that into account still results in failure. Playing with the ccmake instructions, and tweaking them to use python3 appears to of made things go - well, it's not failed *yet* (17% and counting) ... I'm using Fed32 if that helps any. May also wanna update your fed instructions to suggest config for py3. Or include appropriate package(s) for py2.7. Tho saying that, 2.7 was already installed, and python2-devel didn't cause any errors in dnf. Looks like it installed.

And get rid of the "30" in 'Fedora 30/31/32 instructions, as that's an EoL OS now. 31 is due EoL shortlish too, as a heads up.

BTW, quite dissapointed VS isn't in the fed repo anymore - not sure why that is. I've been running on a fed 31 package I've wedged in there clumsily.
Multiplayer Server Offline. Copy ony testing rig semi-funcitonal.
User Signup Offline.
Server Health Shows old data from last snapshot before the server downed.

If you have any issues you can usually find me in #vegastrike on freenode.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: Compile failish

Post by loki1950 »

Not in the fedora repo because until this summer it would not compile on any current Linux distro to many API changes in the dependencies.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Eye~R
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Eye~R »

Welp. Compile worked fine, it apears - plenty of 'warnings' - but I'll assume you're already aware o them.

Can't seem to actually make it go, tho. It fires up, loads all the imagry nice n rapid, but just where I expect it to present the menu it all goes pete tong...

[eyer@UNKNOWN ~]$ /home/eyer/Downloads/Vega-Strike-Engine-Source-master/build/vegastrike --assets /home/eyer/Downloads/Vega-Strike-Engine-Source-master/data/
[2020-10-02 00:38:27.843815] [0x00007fe75900b740] [trace] Registering codec ogg
[2020-10-02 00:38:27.843873] [0x00007fe75900b740] [trace] .

In path /home/eyer/Downloads/Vega-Strike-Engine-Source-master/build
Vega Strike
See http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html for license details.

ARG #1 = --assets
GOT SUBDIR ARG =
Found data in ../data
Using /home/eyer/Downloads/Vega-Strike-Engine-Source-master/data as data directory
Using .vegastrike as the home directory
Found MODDIR = /home/eyer/Downloads/Vega-Strike-Engine-Source-master/data/mods
USING HOMEDIR : /home/eyer/.vegastrike As the home directory
CONFIGFILE - Found a config file in home directory, using : /home/eyer/.vegastrike/vegastrike.config
DATADIR - No datadir specified in config file, using ; /home/eyer/Downloads/Vega-Strike-Engine-Source-master/data
SIMULATION_ATOM: 0.05
running import sys
print(sys.path)
sys.path = ["",r"/home/eyer/Downloads/Vega-Strike-Engine-Source-master/data/modules/builtin",r"/home/eyer/Downloads/Vega-Strike-Engine-Source-master/data/modules/quests",r"/home/eyer/Downloads/Vega-Strike-Engine-Source-master/data/modules/missions",r"/home/eyer/Downloads/Vega-Strike-Engine-Source-master/data/modules/ai",r"/home/eyer/Downloads/Vega-Strike-Engine-Source-master/data/modules",r"/home/eyer/Downloads/Vega-Strike-Engine-Source-master/data/bases"] + sys.path
['/usr/lib64/python38.zip', '/usr/lib64/python3.8', '/usr/lib64/python3.8/lib-dynload']
testing VS randomrunning import sys
print(sys.path)
['', '/home/eyer/Downloads/Vega-Strike-Engine-Source-master/data/modules/builtin', '/home/eyer/Downloads/Vega-Strike-Engine-Source-master/data/modules/quests', '/home/eyer/Downloads/Vega-Strike-Engine-Source-master/data/modules/missions', '/home/eyer/Downloads/Vega-Strike-Engine-Source-master/data/modules/ai', '/home/eyer/Downloads/Vega-Strike-Engine-Source-master/data/modules', '/home/eyer/Downloads/Vega-Strike-Engine-Source-master/data/bases', '/usr/lib64/python38.zip', '/usr/lib64/python3.8', '/usr/lib64/python3.8/lib-dynload']
1 joysticks were found.

The names of the joysticks are:
Saitek Cyborg USB Stick
axes: 4 buttons: 12 hats: 1
Panic exit - mission file /home/eyer/Downloads/Vega-Strike-Engine-Source-master/data/ not found
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Any clues? I'm sure that dir *is* there... it's pulling data out of it previously. I sense it's a file it's missing, not the directory...
User Signup Offline.

loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Where are all the data files that is what it can't find might need a new clone of the assets as we decided to reconnect units.csv to one flat file as the separation introduced a bug that was a deal breaker.

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Eye~R
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Eye~R »

So...
[eyer@UNKNOWN ~]$ /home/eyer/Downloads/Vega-Strike-Engine-Source-master/build/vegastrike --assets /home/eyer/Downloads/Vega-Strike-Engine-Source-master/data/
Doesn't inform the engine where I expanded the Assets-Production-Master.zip to, then? 'cause surely that's to the same spec as the build I downloaded, considering I downloaded them sequentially, the engine first. (would of been at the same time, but the engine had finished by the time I'd queued the assets).

***Edit***
Looking at dates, I don't see any adjustments that occured in less than a week than before I downloaded it. And the assets list in months.
looking in /data/units/ I can see a units.csv - 895.4KB ... The 'orginal' VS one I'm running from is 837KB...
***/Edit***

Can't I just grab the original single 'units.csv' file that vegastrike used to use anyway from the working copy already existing from previous? If that's what the issue appears to be. Or has that adjusted too significantly and create more issues than it solves?
User Signup Offline.

loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

We did fix quite a few of the load errors that where in units.csv due to file path issues I usually put a bin folder with symbolic links to vegastrike and vegasetting (new name for vssetup) within the data folder like the folder layout under Windows.

Eye~R
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Eye~R »

Hmm.

Still shoeless.

Can't see symbolic links should produce better results than the actual files.

Been that long since I've used wihoes I've no idea what the folder layout was - but I'll guess @ %program files%\vegastrike - with all the other clutter within ... in which case how is that different from /home/eyer/Downloads/Vega-Strike-Engine-Source-master/ with all the other clutter within?

What was the purpose of that empty /data folder, if not to hold the assets?

Looking, the installed VS's /usr/share/vegastrike seems roughly equivical to /home/eyer/Downloads/Vega-Strike-Engine-Source-master/data 's content...

**Edit**
Re-reading your input, you mean to put symbolic links to teh compiled binaries into /data? in it's own folder, /bin?
Seems there's a 'vs' and a 'vsetup' in there already - they'll of gone in with the assets, I didn't do it. Poking 'em reveals there's no execute permission on - that likely some cause (should there be precompiled binaries in there, as default? or was they put there during the build phase? sure that was empty when I threw the assets in there - ahh it's not a binary - it's a bash script ... and likely requires execute permission... nope. That didn't help.)
User Signup Offline.

loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

If you still have vsetup get a newer clone,it no longer exists it's now called vegasettings and been updated to use GTK 3 instead of GTK 2 look for the 0.6 tag it will be our release candidate https://github.com/vegastrike/Vega-Stri ... tag/v0.6.0

Eye~R
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Eye~R »

Meh.

I'll just try again when you've managed to sync the produciton engine with the production assets offerings.
User Signup Offline.

loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

That should be already done we are now calling the assets as vsUTCS v0.6.0-alpha check the tags to get a link to either a .zip or tar.gz of the assets we want to simplify using the engine with other data sets see temporalbeing's (our new lead coder) post on our social media links.

loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Quick update we now have .rpm's for fedora 30,31,32 Centos 8 and opensuse-leap https://github.com/vegastrike/Assets-Pr ... 6.0-alpha2 this is the assets only not the binary executable we haven't packaged it yet.

Eye~R
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Eye~R »

we now have .rpm's for fedora 30,31,32 Centos 8 and opensuse-leap
Good to know. I'll be waiting until they're in my repo, tho, 'cause I can't be doing with manually maintaining software like some sort of windows user.

And again, Fed30 is EoL - ie: No-one should be using it - and 31 going EoL shortlish.
That should be already done we are now calling the assets as vsUTCS v0.6.0-alpha
And I know it should be done. I should be able to checkout the master branch of the engine and the master branch of the assets at the same time (or therabouts. A few seconds shouldn't matter muchly) and they be in sync.

I'll assume the vs = VegaStrike - what's the UTCS about?

As for the offer of checking on temporalbeing's posts, I'll have to decline as I avoid docile media like the plague that it is. Besides, if I was that bothered I'm sure I could ask 'em directly as they appear to park up in #vegastrike on freenode.

**Edit**
Oh, and good luck with compiling the binaries for CentOS. Granted, the last time I'd tried was Cent7, and maybe Cent8 will be 'better' - but their repos are 'too spartan' and it results in dependancy hell of having to compile a dependancy of something, so you can compile the dependancy of something else, so you can compile the dependancy of something else...
User Signup Offline.

loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

We have not made a bridge from gitter to #vegastrike freenode channel yet. As for UTCS that is the full title of the the story we intend to tell in this particular universe "Upon the coldest sea" there are a few other story lines we could do that the Minister of Information has outlined and thx for the heads up about Centos will pass that on.