Mixing Gameport pedals with a USB joystick

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
Booker
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console

Mixing Gameport pedals with a USB joystick

Post by Booker »

After a lot of editing of the config file I finally got this combination working in WinXP and thought I'd share it in case anyone else is haveing trouble.

I have a set of CH pedals (coupled with an ancient 2 axis stick) on a gameport and a USB Saitek Cyborg 3D 4 axis 8 button stick. The idea was to use the CH pedals for the roll axis and the Cyborg for everything else.

First off I had to go to www.chproducts.com and download their latest analog drivers or vegastrike refuses to even see the pedals even though Windows does. Found this out the hard way :)

Next I realized that the 8 way hat on the Cyborg is seen as 4 different buttons rather than a hat so I set up my views as button pushes.

From another thread in here I eventually realized that I would not be able to get the "throttle" to work properly on an axis so I configured it without the throttle slider of the Saitek involved. Since I did not want to use the rotational axis od the Cyborg I left it out too.

Anyway here are the lines in the config file that work for me

<!-- #joy_throttle joy_t_a_rev joy_throttle_and_axis joy_axis joy_normal -->
<bind joystick="1" player="0" button="0" modifier="none" command="FireKey" />
<bind joystick="1" button="1" modifier="none" command="ABKey" />
<bind joystick="1" button="2" modifier="none" command="StopKey" />
<bind joystick="1" button="3" modifier="none" command="TargetKey" />
<bind joystick="1" button="4" modifier="none" command="PickTargetKey" />
<bind joystick="1" button="5" modifier="none" command="DecelKey" />
<bind joystick="1" button="6" modifier="none" command="SheltonKey" />
<bind joystick="1" button="7" modifier="none" command="AccelKey" />
<bind joystick="1" button="8" modifier="none" command="Cockpit::NavScreen" />
<bind joystick="1" button="9" modifier="none" command="MisSelKey" />
<bind joystick="1" button="10" modifier="none" command="Cockpit::Inside" />
<bind joystick="1" button="11" modifier="none" command="Cockpit::InsideLeft" />
<bind joystick="1" button="12" modifier="none" command="Cockpit::InsideRight" />
<bind joystick="1" button="13" modifier="none" command="Cockpit::InsideBack" />

<axis name="x" joystick="1" axis="0" inverse="false" />
<axis name="y" joystick="1" axis="1" inverse="false" />
<!-- #end -->
<!-- #joy_throttle_and_axis
<axis name="throttle" joystick="1" axis="2"/>
#end -->
<!-- #joy_axis joy_throttle_and_axis -->
<axis name="z" joystick="0" axis="3" inverse="true"/>
<!-- #end -->

Hope this saves someone some time and frustration
Booker
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

i really reccomend floor pedals from either a flight simulation periph or a raceing wheel. They work so good for roll. Might want to try binding your hat to thrust (kind of like strafe) to get a bit better manuverability. Then you can also use tri-cording like in descent to make your ship go faster than the max (though i doupt it would make nearly as much difference in VS as it did in descent, which was around a 66% speed increase)
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

since someones bound to ask what tri-cording is, look here
pontiac
Elite
Elite
Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Post by pontiac »

Thanks for your config.
I just added it to the examples in the joystick section of the manual:
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/phpwi ... k#Examples

Pontiac
Booker

Post by Booker »

Hurleybird: I play a number of Flight sims and I always use the hat switch for views. Not to say that your recommendation is a bad one; its just that I'm used to that setup and don't want to confuse myself (easily done :) ). For sure, rudder pedals are very useful once you've got your feet educated.

Pontiac: glad I could help. One small mistake in my above : the Cyborg is actually a 10 button stick, not the 8 button one I said it was in my original post making 14 buttons in all.
Since you seem to be close to the developer would you please pass on my thanks for the effort that went into Vegastrike? I'd forgotton how much I enjoyed the Privateer universe. Priv was the first non-work application I ever had on a PC and sold me on the idea of the PC as casual entertainment. Hope I can figure out a way to contribute :)
Booker
pontiac
Elite
Elite
Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Post by pontiac »

Booker wrote:Pontiac: glad I could help. One small mistake in my above : the Cyborg is actually a 10 button stick, not the 8 button one I said it was in my original post making 14 buttons in all.
One silly question. When it is an 10 button joystick, where do the last 4 buttons come from? Are they hatswitch-buttons not marked (by the system) as hatswitch aren't they?
Since you seem to be close to the developer would you please pass on my thanks for the effort that went into Vegastrike? I'd forgotton how much I enjoyed the Privateer universe. Priv was the first non-work application I ever had on a PC and sold me on the idea of the PC as casual entertainment. Hope I can figure out a way to contribute :)
I'm just around the forum/wiki very often. ;-)

But your Thank You is well placed. Most of the developers are reading in the forums too.

Pontiac
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

I think I have the same joystick, saitek cyborg 3d usb.For the coolie hat I patched my kernel to emulate analogic movement, as explained on icculus.org.
I see dead polygons....
Booker

Post by Booker »

pontiac wrote:One silly question. When it is an 10 button joystick, where do the last 4 buttons come from? Are they hatswitch-buttons not marked (by the system) as hatswitch aren't they?
Pontiac
You are right; the Saitek hat is seen as 4 separate buttons by Windows. The 4 buttons give you the 4 cardinal compass points and the other 4 points in between are 2 button combinations of the 4 cardinals. I believe some of (or perhaps all) of the CH hats are done this way too.

Etheral Walker: very interesting , I will check out icculus.org for this

Must check out that linux partition I put in last year and see how Vegastrike does in that. More I play the game the more I like it :)
Booker