lets get the vegawars project kicked into high gear

Discuss the Vega Wars mod(s) for the Vega Strike Engine

Moderator: hurleybird

bru1ser
Trader
Trader

lets get the vegawars project kicked into high gear

Post by bru1ser »

if you would like to support the project just post a reply saying what you can do to help and show your support my goal is to get this project kicked into hyperdrive i read beowulfs post and he has some really good meshes for the mod but i cant get ahold of him so anyone else that can help it would be awesome if you show support and does anyone know where i can get a 3d design program that would work with vegastike cause i could do some meshes but i only have google sketchup lol
"What a piece of junk!"
"She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."
?Luke Skywalker and Han Solo
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Re: lets get the vegawars project kicked into high gear

Post by MC707 »

I'm in. I can do some 3d modeling as well as artwork. My translation skillz are also nice, so I might be able to translate the project while we do this.
bru1ser wrote:does anyone know where i can get a 3d design program that would work with vegastike cause i could do some meshes but i only have google sketchup lol
Yeah, go here.
My Machine: OS: Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) 64 bit in a 500GB Maxtor HD @ 7200 RPM, Windows Vista PsyChoses Edition 2009 32 bit in a 500GB Samsung HD @ 7200 RPM CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz GPU: nVidia GeForce 9400 GT @ 1024 MB RAM: 3891 MB
Earthlings|The End of the Internet?|FreeWebsite
bru1ser
Trader
Trader

Post by bru1ser »

ok so thats one person
"What a piece of junk!"
"She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."
bru1ser
Trader
Trader

Post by bru1ser »

i was thinking maybe we could use what beowulf has done already to download click this link you may need a extractor like wrar http://www.hawo.stw.uni-erlangen.de/~si ... ars.tar.gz
"What a piece of junk!"
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

bru1ser wrote:i was thinking maybe we could use what beowulf has done already
Do you mean we need to download what beowulf has done for us to continue the project? If thats the case, well I think that would be pretty obvious. I mean, we couldn't start from scratch :lol:
My Machine: OS: Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) 64 bit in a 500GB Maxtor HD @ 7200 RPM, Windows Vista PsyChoses Edition 2009 32 bit in a 500GB Samsung HD @ 7200 RPM CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz GPU: nVidia GeForce 9400 GT @ 1024 MB RAM: 3891 MB
bru1ser
Trader
Trader

Post by bru1ser »

just a idea i already downloaded it and its all jibberish to me lol
i think its mostly the scripts and meshes
"What a piece of junk!"
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

What do you mean by gibberish? Is it messed up or something? :? Haven't tried downloading. Oh BTW, the link in your previous post doesnt work :?
bru1ser
Trader
Trader

Post by bru1ser »

its just all a foreign language to me
"What a piece of junk!"
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

The tar.gz is a standard linux archive type wrar won't touch it but 7 Zip will :wink: along with rar that's if you are in windows

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
bru1ser
Trader
Trader

Post by bru1ser »

yea i am on windows but i dont know how to install any mods on vs or anything like that i actually need a program that is compatible with the vs engine for mesh design so if you can help me find a progam like that then that would be epically awesome
"What a piece of junk!"
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Well for modeling in general there is Blender a bit of hard learning curve till you grok the interface you export to obj mtl which is then run though mesher to produce a bfxm (our mesh format). Other modeling apps include Wings3d and Misfit Model 3d both are open source there of course several commercial modeling apps if you have the cash to afford them :wink: But Blender has the most complete feature set IMHO.There are a couple articles on the wiki on using wings and Blender as well as the procedure of getting models into the game there also several utility programs to help that work chain along posted here on the forum in the Developer Tools & User Utilities sub-forum including pyramid's GUI for mesher got to bug someone for a new windows binary of mesher as the current one is out of date with the current engines capabilities mostly shader related though not really critical.

Edit: there are a lots of models available on the net but most where designed for one time renders and are not optimized for use by game engines so they provide a starting point but still lots of work to clean up.

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
bru1ser
Trader
Trader

Post by bru1ser »

well i downloaded beowulf's progress so far and was wondering if anyone knows if the ships are already scripted and if so can someone guide me through the importing process so i could fly them ingame
maybe if we started with a ship pack it will modivate others to get in on this project
"What a piece of junk!"
bru1ser
Trader
Trader

Post by bru1ser »

oh and by the way are there any FINISHED MODS out there?
"What a piece of junk!"
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

Umm I doubt any mod is FINISHED as most of the mods are works in progress, though I think privateer and the wing commander are kinda well worked on.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

As far as i am aware only Wing Commander Gold and Privateer Remake(Righteous Fire) are finished and no longer being worked on at all and they use an older version of the engine :wink: also Privateer Universe which is moving PR to the new engine and redoing all the models in the process chuck_starchaser their lead is a bit of a perfectionist he is also responsible for VS's graphical pipeline rework.

bru1ser
Trader
Trader

Post by bru1ser »

but back on topic i was just thinking how awesome this mod could be (ok everyone circle around) imagine this the whole vs team and everyone on the forums helping with this project imagine how epic how awesome how soon we would have the mod available and how close the mod would be to the star wars universe if we can get everyone to imagine that who knows maybe it would be a modivation to get it done
"What a piece of junk!"
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

Yep. I definitely agree with you. I wonder how could we get to attract more SW fans...?
bru1ser
Trader
Trader

Post by bru1ser »

any ideas to get more sw fans involved- i may be able to get some if not all of GAR involved (swrp clone group on second life)
"What a piece of junk!"
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

Do they know something about coding/art/music/voice/etc? Whichever the case, bringing more backup and support sounds awesome. Now where could I get some people :? Hmm maybe my filefront account will help me. Some SW games associated with it, y'know?
bru1ser
Trader
Trader

Post by bru1ser »

i know the commander of the group built the clone armor and that was exact and a few shocks build some ships that are exact they even built a venator but due to prim limit it wasnt that good on the inside but it was epic on the outside
ill try to get some pictures
"What a piece of junk!"
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

What this project needs to get "kicked into high gear" is someone who knows enough python to build a star wars game out of the already existing pieces:

1) The Vega Strike Engine

2)The sea of star wars Models / Textures and Modelers / Texturers, that are or would be made / would make GPL (or I think Public Domain) content so that this project could use them.
Tranberry
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Tranberry »

What about some project management?
  • - Acquiring needed information
    - Setting up goals
    - Talking with potential contributors
    - Start gathering content
    - Take hold of the wheel and steer / make decisions
It is probably the most tedious and vehement attacked job one could have in any project. :(
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome Tranberry.There have been a few leads on this project someone should contact Beowulf the last such for any notes and such as well as is he still interested PM me for his e-mail address as the forum mail to function does not work since our move the the new sourceforge data center :(

MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

I would only help with a little 3D modeling, as I don't have time to either study python or lead the project :(
Tranberry
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Tranberry »

The only real skill needed is comprehension, for a lead that is. Sure some python and or other language knowledge will make some task simpler, but as a lead you wont end up doing code anyway (in the long run).

The problem with non-coding leads is that they are dependent on coders to add new features and such, it is also a big pro as you wont feel like "ah man all this people handling is keeping me away from codeing..".

So imo the skill of a lead is not really about code it's about getting people motivated, and keeping them on the task. That may sound simple but that is just a delusion.

Starting with content (if you are a 3D modeller er or similar) could be a good 'kick-start', that way there is something to play with _when_ the coders do get interested in the project. So even with out a lead, there are stuff to be made*.

*I'm assuming the lead will lead eg: making decisions (which is hard, people get angry and you can't please all.)