Graduation work - engine questions

For collaboration on developing the mod capabilities of VS; request new features, report bugs, or suggest improvements

Moderator: Mod Contributor

Nózmájner
Mercenary
Mercenary

Graduation work - engine questions

Post by Nózmájner »

The time is getting closer when I need to pick what should I do for graduation work, and one of my preliminary ideas is about making a total conversion mod for VS. The others are mostly about making a short animation, but making a whole game'd visuals, world and such is a more uniqu idea I think.

Nothing to big, just a single system mod, but with a very detailed system. A bit like the Sol in Cowboy Bebop in mood, like with many cultures and such.
The concept is developed on a sketchy level, but I've got my main pointers.

To make this clear: I'm not announcing anything yet.

I'm serious about it it, but only on a level, since, I'm not even know if there's any possibility to make such a thing (there are much feature that's not readily in the game), and I know that the devs are working hard allready writing the game and live their life also.
Anyway, If there's interest in my mod, then I can provide some more information. (But let's nail it down, that I consider this whole mod as a piece of artwork, or a composition as a whole. I mean I've got my concept which I want to stick to, so I don't really want to make it as a commitee work, and discuss all of it's aspects to the smallest cog.)

Anyway I need some information about the engine's features, and if some features are going to be implemented in the near future (in one and a half year or so), before making any decision. I'm not asking for any feature, but I want to know if there's a possibility for these to be implemented, thus is my vision of this game can be realized, before I jump into making it.

Will there any lateral thruster and retro thruster effect?

Will it be possible to use external docking clamps (or what), like the way in I-war2? (With manual docking possibility would be my dream)

What level I can costumize the HUD through Python or something?
My desired needs are separate indication for the object of refference, an indication of the ships movements vector, target lead, docking aids, velocity and rotation velocity and thrust representation of all axes (based on the object of reference), a contact list, an info box for the target, fuel display, a system log display, weapon status display.

Is there a posibility of an in-flight communicaton system, menu driven, and if there's indepth communication, then in a window? Also, a pilot would need to ask for docking or landing clearence before doing anything.

Will there any more fluid and flexible interface, accessible from python? I'd like to use an Archemedean Dynasty like interface for interaction with windows and such.

Is it possible for more factions to operate in a single system? I'm not talking about a full scale war, but I would need areas with different danger of pirates and such.

Is there a way to define that a given ship is atmosphere capable or not (or on which level, depending on gravity and atmosphere thicknes of a planet), to allow it or not to land on planet (there's no real need for seamles atm flight for me).

Is there any heat management possible? Like systems generate heat, which is affect other systems dependability, performance and such.

Is there a possibility for ship systems to break down? Can be dependability defined for systems? (My idea is that there will be a lot of different manufacturers, but there's no point in that if the only difference is prize and performance.)

Is it possible to make in-system jump holes? (My idea is quite similar to I-war's on this topic, with Lagrangian points, but with all 5 Lagrangian points)

Is there any dynamic asteroid generation code? Like for a whole belt of asteroids, but in some way freelancer handled them by the asteroids dynamicaly generated around your ship, and you can define objects in the belt, which have orbit, and always there.

Well, I can't recall any more, but I think that's enough allready. :D

And also, if this mod will considered realizable with some engine modification, and there's somebody willing to help me on that field, then "you're welcome".
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

help you ?

for me is not a problem
i know nothing about computer that all! i never learn3D i know P.S& illustrator and little bit Blender but i like work with my imagination and i have another point of view for Sci-fi (not really war like more diplomatic,funny and poetic)
if you need some thing i can do ask me

but try to know if all your question have a clear answer first
Nózmájner
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Nózmájner »

Well, it seem's there's not much interrest, which is somewhat good, since I couldn't find any consultant at school, I think I drop the idea. I don't abondon the concept though, who knows.

Thanks anyway, Fendorin.
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

yes maybe for your school work try to develop something more closer than reality like environemment ( very aware in our europ at the moment)
or something more industrial application
an
game is game

i which you my best for your graduate/diploma/level ( i don't know the real name in magyar)

i think but is personnel do a separation between your school and your hobby/interest.

my school time is far know ( i work since i have 15) but believe me try to do something more quick workable than a game ( maybe a presentation / or something with magyar industry try to contact a hungrian industry and make a project/cooperation with them you will have your graduate very quickly and is open a doors for you) no?

my english is bad i m sorry for that !
Nózmájner
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Nózmájner »

Thank you.

Well, I don't really want to do anything that can be made quickly, and I want something decent. I've got almost two years from now to da my work, so I've got plenty of time on me.

Besides, The work should be in the visal communication field, and one of my interrests is in game designing, visuals and others, that's why I condsidered this kind of work. A space game (or any kind of game) would have been very unique, and would perfectly suited to my personality. That's why I've even considered.
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

If you want to help both yourself and VS, then look into the fractal generation of planet surfaces. It's an involving topic with plenty of detail but not the thousands of tiny disjointed details that make a total conversion mod a bad idea.

Basically you take a texture and/or number and use that to generate the planet surface at an appropriate level of detail according to your distance from the planet.

A commercial example would be the way you can zoom in and out of spore.

Here's an OGRE3D example:
http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=39254

Somebody was proposing their own basic implementation here but I think it's not happening:
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... hp?t=10520

There was a stunning looking freeware project but I forgot the name of it.

Anyway, to do this well would take a full 2 years.
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

@Nózmájner i m still open for support/help you !!!
if you need some thing i can do just ask me

thank and good luck
Nózmájner
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Nózmájner »

Charlieg: It would be a good idea, if I was anything close to a programer, but sadly, my skills on that field and in math are limited to some very simple Python coding.
I'm more on the artwork side of thing, then technical.

Fendorin: Thank you, I keep your offer in mind.