CineMut shader family - Opaque

For collaboration on developing the mod capabilities of VS; request new features, report bugs, or suggest improvements

Moderator: Mod Contributor

Sindwiller
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Sindwiller »

I can't wait to get my hands on this monster :twisted:
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Sorry, folks; I'm doing bakings day and night with xNormal. Its new PRT baking routines are working almost perfectly. Still some minor problems to iron out.
I'm working on yet another feature for CineMut: Self-radiosity and self-reflections; but this is stuff for next year; I will need a new type of texture bake for that: a self-radio bake.

See here for more details:
http://wcjunction.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=910

Anyways, what I do need now is precise PRT bakes, to be able to have shadows and specular self-occlusion that look right.

Sindwiller, you CAN have it now; I posted all the files, though not the latest shader with static light specularities. Anyways, I'm working on some shader improvements, plus I improved the test bike's model and re-unwrapped it, got all the materials set up... Just waiting for a final new version of xNormal and its promising results. The new PRT's are looking spectacular, already, with those lines of dark pixels where planes cross gone for good :)
Sindwiller
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Sindwiller »

Sindwiller, you CAN have it now; I posted all the files, though not the latest shader with static light specularities.
Yeah, but I neither have the time nor the equipment (read: models etc.) to test it :)
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

I did post the test bike model, but you might as well wait for the new one, now; it's fixed and re-unwrapped, and it will have much better quality PRT bakes, plus a normalmap.

Shot of PRTp loaded as a texture:
(Notice the cleanliness)

PRTn baking now...

Then I have to bake a high quality AO.
Then I have to re-bake the materials.
Then I start LaGrande'ing.
Should be able to have the new bike up and a couple of shader improvements finished this weekend.
Then next week is Hammer time.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

PRT's DONE!

PRTP:

PRTN:

Got the radiosity bakes already.
Next is re-baking the materials.
Then standard noodles.

I've been elucubrating about a way of implementing radiosity in CineMut, while baking, --just for the curious.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

spec_bake.tga:

misc_bake.tga:

EDIT:
LaGrande standard noodles al dente... Well, while doing the hammer I'll finish the unfinished ones, then move everything to svn.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

Get the 7zipped bfxm here.
You'll need tex_000.texture to tex_004.texture. I couldn't test it on my win machine.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Thanks!
For some mysterious reason, now I'm getting "This application has asked the runtime to terminate in an unusual way" yada yada.
Maybe it has to do with the unintended mesh break-up. I thought that by NOT exporting materials I was going to get a single mesh; but I guess that's not enough and I need to click on the material grouping button on the obj exporter? I put the blend file on svn in case you know better how to export. The object on layer 1 is the mesh for export; --on layer 2 there's a too high poly mesh, only for normalmap and other bakes.
https://svn.wcjunction.com/utils/cinemu ... port.blend
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

That error comes from mesher when you do not export materials to obj. The mesher will then have no reference to the mtl file (which UnitConverter creates). This is something to be fixed in the next UC version.
In the command window you should see an output like

Code: Select all

Command =  C:/UserData/personal/vegastrike/data/bin/mesher_techniques.exe test_bike.obj test_bike.bfxm obc
Error: Invalid input
In the latest svn klauss has already improved the behavior, but you will still need to export the materials (and optionally material groups). Could you please check if this works with materials export.

*EDIT*
Tested your motorbike blender file with "Materials" button enabled when exporting to obj. Works like a charm.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Okay, gottcha; thanks!. I still need the right mesher, though, I think.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

The bike testing result:

The image is highly compressed (80%) so please ignore the artifacts. Not sure I've got the latest shader version. WHat I notice is that the black reflection seems way exaggerated (see wheels, left lamp, bottom of exhaust, front and back mud protectors). Also the rear light reflection should be seen on the rear protector despite the black environment reflection.

*EDIT*
Actually the light bakes show correctly when using dds textures (previous test was with uncompressed pngs).
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Hmmm... That looks WRONG in *every* way.
I remember getting black slicks moving around, at one point; I think it was some bug and that I fixed.
Perhaps the bug is still in the last commit.
Anyways, I'm still at work, but going home soon.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Moving back here from the wrong thread:
chuck_starchaser wrote:Alright, I went back to working on the shader using the old bike.
Here's the latest version of CineMut Opaque, if you want to try it with the new bike; though it could very well be that the textures are borked; I've never tried them, of course.
Re-updated; same link. I found a bug SO BIG, I don't even know how the thing managed to work at all...
I'm still getting some mysterious blue-green dots, and detail management needs a lot of work.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

Dunno why, but the previous version worked as does this update, too. Still, the bike does not look as good as in blender :(

Hope you get vegastrike to run soon.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Try it with the old bike.
Like I said, there could be something terribly wrong with the textures --there probably is-- but I can't fix them because I don't have a working bfxm. From the looks of the picture you posted, I'd say one of the normalmap channels is inverted. The normalmap is supposed to make round things look perfectly round; --smoother than smooth shading alone can achieve--; but in that picture the sides of the pipes look like flat-shaded.
Not only are there black slicks on the painted parts, but there's also a creamy slick around the seat. That is REALLY odd.
But the oddest is,
*EDIT*
Actually the light bakes show correctly when using dds textures (previous test was with uncompressed pngs).
How could anything look more correct by being compressed? Doesn't make sense to me. Are you sure you didn't mix old bike and new bike textures? Particularly the PRT, which I think is named moto_PRT.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

I did try with the latest bike you posted in the UC thread as well as the latest textures from wcjunction svn.

Today VS win also froze up when I was using the mesh with the 11 submeshes. Then when I converted the mesh with the one material to bfxm it worked.

Btw, you should put a links to the latest test bike and shaders in your signature :wink:

I propose you create under cinemut/TRUNK the following dirs:
* shaders (fp, techniques)
* lagrande (noodles)
* units (/test_bike with textures, blender, obj, bfxm)

In this way it is much easier to exchange things and make sure i use the latest version, when working on 2 different systems.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

I started it:
https://svn.wcjunction.com/utils/cinemut/TRUNK
https://svn.wcjunction.com/utils/lagrande
It's just not up-to-date yet; got a lot of work to do. The LaGrande stuff is completely obsolete. The CineMut folder is fairly up-to-date but incomplete; gotta collect documentation from this thread and put it all together. Then again, maybe I should put the docs in a wiki instead of svn.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

That's great. Everything accessible from one plce. Thanks!

I think a wiki is the best place a documentation can be. No need to sync or commit latest versions. Just edit & save. Easy going. Eventually you might put a final version as pdf into a docu folder.
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

Upper case TRUNK? Oh noes... :? a kitten just died somewhere.
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Hahaha, well, I know nothing about SVN and stuff, and I always saw trunk in upper case, so I thought it was mandatory. I hope it wasn't the kitten's last life...
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

News of my death are premature :D
I've abandoned the bike; trying to finish the Hammer. I'd done all the bakings, and then I found a corruption, so I'm having to do them all over again; and they take about 8 to 12 hours each on my machine.
I also took a break in the middle to model a ship for PU, the Gladius.
http://wcjunction.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... 4308#14308
The new xNormal is producing really clean bakes, now; gorgeous PRT's.
Perfect normalmap.
Hope the conversion will go better with the Hammer than it did with the bike.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

He he, glad to hear that.
I thought that you'd be working on the PU side of the cosmos.
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

chuck_starchaser wrote:I also took a break in the middle to model a ship for PU, the Gladius.
http://wcjunction.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... 4308#14308
:shock: Beautiful. I can't wait to see the broadsword and paradigm remodeled.

You know you really are a renaissance man- I've never seen anyone before who can both model and code this expertly. Most artists and coders feel kind of lost when they venture into each other's territory.