Forum Emails and Sourceforge

Let the flames roll in...
Err... yeah, well I suppose you can talk about other stuff as well, maybe?

Moderator: Halleck

forkprong
Explorer
Explorer

Forum Emails and Sourceforge

Post by forkprong »

Guys, I need to know how you got this forum software to send out verification emails on sourceforge. I have no idea how to get it working on my current dev and public forums on my sorceforge project.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

More teething problems forkprong ace123 should be looking in in a bit.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

The whole sourceforge system is fairly complicated.

For e-mail sending, you just need to set it to use an external SMTP server... I believe it's either smtp or mail .sourceforge.net
forkprong
Explorer
Explorer

Post by forkprong »

ace123 wrote:The whole sourceforge system is fairly complicated.

For e-mail sending, you just need to set it to use an external SMTP server... I believe it's either smtp or mail .sourceforge.net
Apparently it's mail.sourceforge.net

http://sourceforge.net/docs/C04/en/#s_no_postmaster

I entered that into the database but I think I need a username and password to access it, perhaps even a .

SourceForge does NOT make any of this easy.

Do I need to make a registration mailing list as well?
forkprong
Explorer
Explorer

Post by forkprong »

I've spied this bit of info:

http://sourceforge.net/docs/E07#email
Sending Email

The ability to send email from the project web servers has been stopped to curb past abuse that has occurred from the project web servers. However, we do realize that this is a valued and required feature for many projects hosted on SourceForge.net, so we have provided a method for a project to accomplish this task. At a high level, it would look like this:

1. The module of the project web service that requires the ability to send out mail would now be modified to queue the message to the project database.
2. A cron job would be configured to pull out and send the emails from the project shell server.

The project shell servers can be used to send email. This should help keep holes in project web sites from being abused by outside sources to send spam. The 'mail' command on the shell server can be used to send out mail, amongst other possible methods. We recommend that each project re-evaluate their need to send email first, before configuring this. We do not provide specific assistance in making this process work for projects, they are responsible for implementation level details at this point.

Each user is limited to sending only 1000 emails per day from the shell server. This limit should allow for verification of account creation on forums, and other such items, but not full-blown email integrated forums, in most cases. The mailing list service should take care of this need.
Now only if I knew how to set up a shell-based mail daemon I'd be in business.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

You don't. They don't provide a cron daemon so there's no way to schedule things.
I entered that into the database but I think I need a username and password to access it, perhaps even a .
Username and password?

If you're talking about the mysql database account, you should have 3 username/passwords that you enabled (m123456ro, m123456rw, m123456admin).

In my phpbb_config table, on the second page, I have:

Code: Select all

smtp_delivery =	"1"
	smtp_host =	"mail.sourceforge.net"
	smtp_username =	""
	smtp_password =	""
The mail thing should be pretty easy to set up if you don't listen to the confusing instructions.
forkprong
Explorer
Explorer

Post by forkprong »

Your phpbb_config table was what I was looking for. Mine looks similar to yours with those last two fields empty (NULL in my case),

I haven't tested it since it is pretty late but I'll give it a whirl tomorrow.