Creating a forum on your SourceForge Webspace

Let the flames roll in...
Err... yeah, well I suppose you can talk about other stuff as well, maybe?

Moderator: Halleck

forkprong
Explorer
Explorer

Creating a forum on your SourceForge Webspace

Post by forkprong »

Guys I need to know how you got this forum operational on your SourceForge webspace.

I have a project of my own and have been trying to create a database but we are having trouble without root access to the server.

Can you guys tell me how to get my own forum up and running as well as restore a database from a sql dump?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome forkprong someone who has been around longer than i should know and may reply setting up LAMP without root access sounds not fun are there any SF.net docs or fac's about sever usage doesn't seem right that that there aren't any.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

It's a really complicated process... you have to know some stuff about UNIX as well as their server setup.

Basically for the initial configuration phase, you have to make sure that the config file it writes to is symlinked into /tmp/persistent/somedirthatyoumake

After that, you make sure that all writable files are in /tmp/persistent/somedr

For the database configuration, there is a separate server you must connect to: mysql4-LETTER.sourceforge.net
You also have to register for a database, like a12345admin, a12345rw, a12345ro

For backups and modifying tables manually you use the admin user, and for phpbb and other stuff you use the rw user.

Most of the database permissions/registration is documented here:
http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_d ... id=1#mysql

Specifically what part are you stuck on?
forkprong
Explorer
Explorer

Post by forkprong »

We are stuck on restoring the database dump and the settings I have to enter into the config.php file in order to get the thing going.

I know how to connect via ssh but it is fairly useless since we do not know how to restore the old database. I'll look over that URL you gave but I think restoring the database we have is a bit different than the example given.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

It sounds like you have a database account on sourceforge.

If you do, there are two ways to restore a backup.
The easiest is probably PhpMyAdmin.
Go to http://phpmyadmin-LETTER.sourceforge.net/
Then, click import in the middle and upload. (However, there's a 2MB upload limit, so likely this will not be enough.

If 2MB isn't enough you have to do it the SSH way:

With ssh, you can copy it with scp (if it's not already on the server).

Code: Select all

scp dbbackup.sql USER@projects.sourceforge.net:
That will copy it into your homedir (you might want it somewhere else since there's a 10mb soft limit (okay temporarily) on home directories.

Then, you import it into the database with (assuming s is your first letter of your project and s### is initial followed by your group number):

Code: Select all

mysql -h mysql4-s.sourceforge.net -u s###admin -p s11111_databasename < file.sql
If you don't have the old database file, things might be a little bit harder. What do you have, and where are you stuck?
forkprong
Explorer
Explorer

Post by forkprong »

ace123 wrote:It sounds like you have a database account on sourceforge.
I can connect using ssh but I don't have mysql access. I though mysql access was supposed to be available when you made the ssh connection.

How do I get a database account on SF?

Also, I can't connect to phpMyAdmin using the URL you gave me because I don't know what user/pass to use. I assume I get these with the database account?
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

If you log into the sourceforge.net site, you sign up for database users in the admin section:
Project Page -> Admin -> Shell/DB/Web
They have a link to "Manage Project Databases", where you can sign up for the database account passwords.
forkprong
Explorer
Explorer

Post by forkprong »

Thank you!

My friend and I have a forum up and running and we could not have done it without you.

A million thanks :D
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Great forkprong what's your killer app :wink:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
forkprong
Explorer
Explorer

Post by forkprong »

http://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxforclinics/

My "killer app" is Linux For Clinics.

Feel free to read up on it :D

Cheers! (and thanks again)